Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-Inspired clothing lines

olive bleu

One Too Many
Are you serious???....oh, sorry, Winners is owned by T.J.Max..same company...
I apologize, that's not he first time I have been prattling on about winners:eek:

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
olive bleu said:
FYI...They have a ton of those puff-sleeved blouses at WINNERS.

I've never heard of Winners. Is it a store? Do they have a website?

I got a really cute black and white gingham blouse from H&M with puff sleeves. The sleeves are nice - the bands aren't too tight (very comfy in fact) and they are a nice longer length short sleeve. I think the shorter cap sleeved lengths that you find in a lot of blouses just emphasize a larger upper arm, so I usually avoid them.

But the H&M blouse runs small and it can be hard to find larger sizes at H&M. They never seem to have any size 16s in stock when I am there and you have to hunt for the few they have. I did find a size 16, but I had to let the darts out a little bit on the blouse so the blouse wouldn't gap along the button holes across the chest. It seems every blouse made now gaps across my chest - and I have a small chest! What do women with larger chests do?

olive bleu

One Too Many
thanks, Pink Dahlia...they say the mind is the first thing to go..I knew there was one store that i shop at that I know you all have down there, now I realize the one I am thinking of is PAYLESS....yeah, I know, I'm talking blouses, not shoes..heaven help me!!!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I just looked on the T.J. Maxx website. They have this gorgeous puff sleeve polka dot blouse. It's beyond adorable. Time to go shopping...

Shearer

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia said:
I just looked on the T.J. Maxx website. They have this gorgeous puff sleeve polka dot blouse. It's beyond adorable. Time to go shopping...

TJ Maxx and Forever 21 kill me. I know they both have fabulous stuff because my Kiwi friend can go into both and come out with the cutest outfits. I go in either shop and I break out in a cold sweat from being overwhelmed lol I need a wisewoman to teach me the ways of the Maxx! :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
For all you penny pinchers.....

While shopping at Ross is always hit or miss, ours had some great vintagey blouses this last week.

I got a white one with puffed sleeves for $10!
There were some other darling ones over in the juniors section, but I'm afraid I am a little too, er, "bursty", to fit in them. It kills me too because there was a red one with white polka dots and a perfect spring green one with white pin stripes. Ah well....

If you're there, check the shoe section too, saw some great peep toes, and some patent leather ones too!!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
We have TJ Maxx, but over here, for some reason it's called TK Maxx! Either way, I hate the place as it always smells funny and is a nightmare, full of people, and crying children. The best stuff always has no tag and you either can't find someone to check the price or if you do, it turns out to be one of the few really expensive items!

Kim_B

Practically Family
TJ Maxx always reminds me of a more expensive version of Goodwill the way it's arranged. I haven't been in that store in ages...might have to pop in today!

olive bleu

One Too Many
Kim_B said:
TJ Maxx always reminds me of a more expensive version of Goodwill the way it's arranged. I haven't been in that store in ages...might have to pop in today!

It's not for the faint of heart, that's for sure, but I bravely soldier on:D I have gotten so many amazing things there that now it calls me like the Mother-Ship. I have a pair of the sweetest mary-Janes that i got from there(my red ones) that i wear 5 out of 7 days,and they have other shoes right now, that i lie awake at night trying to figure out how i will ever afford them all.

It takes a lot of digging around, and can be a tad overwheming for the inexperienced, but i am hopelessly in love with it. Ours here, is really not too badly organized and the staff are really helpful.Luckily, it is right next door to my grocery store so I am able to legitimately duck in there about twice a week:D

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Top-Runway Report!!!!

I got my dress from TopRunway.

I ordered it as a custom job on March 20 and got it April 7th...so 18 days start to finish. The fit is incredible! Fabric is of a good quality the the workmanship also very good.

Just this morning I sent Cynthia a pic of a 40s pattern I have...

pattern.jpg
[/IMG]

Cynthia emailed me back immediately and was very responsive to multiple email inquiries. She is doing this suit custom for $120 including shipping!!!!

I had sent an email to a local woman who is a well regarded seamstress and she quoted me $650-700.

I'll let you know what the final product looks like!

Honey Doll

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the update Honey Doll.
I was thinking of sending her a picture of a dress that I want made, I'm definitely gonna do it now. I can't believe her great prices! They certainly can't be beat.
Do let us know how the suit comes out. It is lovely. Maybe she'll hold onto the pattern and start offering it as one of her regular items.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
H & M has some cute stuff again, including really sweet petticoat-dresses. I was in a hurry yesterday, so I couldn´t try too many of them but I´ll check back tommorow. If anyone is in need of 50s inspired summer-dresses go for it!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady in Red

BeBopBaby said:
I have the same problem! I bought the Target shirtdress not too long ago and the sleeves bands are just tight enough that they rubbed the skin on my arms and started to make the skin red and irritated. I think I'm the only person in the world that can get brush burn from cotton.

I have a 30% coupon from Chadwick's and I think I'm going to try the blouse anyway. It can really be hit or miss for me as well with the banded sleeves. I'll let you know how it works out.

I think I've decided on getting the deep red blouse. I can wear it with the most range of colors - tans, navys & blacks. But I'm always wary of red because I'm a redhead. What do you gals think about redheads wearing red?
As a natural redhead, I say go for it! I wore a red silk dress last night and everyone said it looked beautiful on me. That Chadwick's blouse is too cute. The deep red should be gorgeous. Let us know?

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Check out the sundresses at JCPenney, some are vintage inspired. The white halter dress with the black embroidery I got last summer at TJ Max for $20! Mine has a one tier crinoline under it, I don't think the one JCPennys has does. Anyway, I thought the plaid dress was pretty cute, too. Here ya go!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Finally Target! Sheesh!

So Target finally got these gorgeous dresses up on their website. I bought the pink but now I'm contemplating the aqua too (the one they didn't have at the store).

B000LSM8C4.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS384_V45326659_.jpg

B000LSSHC4.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS384_V24329543_.jpg

BTW this dress looks much better on a lady with curves (like me) than on their pole skinny models.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Yes, I'll take the pink one, thankyouverymuch :D

I really need to stop buying clothes...although, if I get one of the jobs I interviewed for, I'll *need* some new work clothes....hmmm....;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW