Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-Inspired clothing lines

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
cherry lips said:
To all the ladies who own a vintage circle skirt / have sewn a repro/ know these things:
I was thinking of buying a repro circle skirt at the shop linked below, and would like to choose the fabric that would be/ look 50's authentic (I know the elastic waistband is a giveaway, but nevermind): poly cotton blend (65% cotton, 35% poly), 100% polyester, or "felt" (100% acrylic). Let me know what you think, I value your opinions highly!:)

DO NOT BUY ACRYLIC FELT. acrylic felt is not woven - it's held together by chemicals and heat, i believe. it will not stand up to washing at all. it's really only meant to be used for costumes, where it won't be washed often.

Snookie

Practically Family
FYI, no felt is woven. The very definition of felt is that it's non-woven, the fibers are just tangled and matted and grip each other. I've never heard of synthetic felt being held together with chemicals/heat, but I wouldn't put it past them. Pre-synthetics, felt was primarily made out of wool. OK, way too much info that no one asked for. Off my soapbox.

I'd never thought about it before, but I bet another reason that felt gets used for poodle skirt costumes is that it's stiff, so you can skip the crinoline and still get a similar silhouette. Good for a costume, but not accurate.

I don't see the other fabrics listed, but although polyester wasn't widely used/available, it doesn't bother me. I'd just pick between the two based on the color/print I like!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
ah, i'd assumed that some felt (like vintage coats made from felt) would be wool fabric that had been felted, like you can with knitted items. which technically isn't woven either, it's knitted! i stand corrected.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Thanks ShooShoo!
More advice, please! Here's the skirt and description:
http://heyviv.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2383&catid=90
I found a vintage circle skirt on e-bay yesterday that they said was 100% polyester. It was black and what I think I'm looking for, but too small.
I want a black one for everyday use, so it must look good and be washable. I know an elastic waist is ugly, but I plan on wearing a belt. What do you think? Should I wait till a vintage one comes along?
Otherwise I'm leaning towards the cotton-poly blend I think, but I'm afraid they'll be see-through and costumey (even if they look good in the pics).

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
goldwyn girl said:
Why but a repro when the real thing is in abundance on places like ebay. Or I second making you own, you'll get exactly what you want, in your size with no elastic waistband. Just my thoughts.

:eusa_clap GG, you always know just what to say :eusa_clap

LD

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I have had a lot of problems trying to find something affordable (less than $50) and in my size (29") on ebay....

goldwyn girl said:
Why but a repro when the real thing is in abundance on places like ebay. Or I second making you own, you'll get exactly what you want, in your size with no elastic waistband. Just my thoughts.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
goldwyn girl said:
Thanks, goldwyn girl. I think I'll follow your advice (the e-bay part, I have yet to learn to sew:eek: ). I know I will love the skirt so much more, and it will probabaly have some fun detail. I'll wait 6 months, but if nothing turns up with my large waist size I'll start thinking repro again.

lyburnum

Practically Family
I thought these items in the sale on ASOS were really cute:

image1xl-1-1.jpg
image1xl-6.jpg

image1xl-2-1.jpg
image4xl.jpg

Goldfish

A-List Customer
lyburnum, keep that windowshopping posts coming! lol

I love the TopShop stuff ( and yay! they ship to Germany now!), but I wish I knew how the quality is...

lyburnum

Practically Family
Top Shop quality is fairly reasonable. It's sort of mid range fabrics, they're not going to last forever but they don't use any of those nasty stretchy polyester fabrics or anything like that. A lot of the nice stuff is handwash or dry clean only though. With Top Shop you really get what you pay for, some of the cheap stuff I've bought from there (like basic jersey tank tops) will last me about a year, but the nicer stuff (like dresses or cardigans) will last me year after year, and normally it gets thrown out because I don't wear it, not because the fabric is exhausted.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
For those of you with money to burn...(Saks goes retro)

I am ganking this from my Chippie sister who is not on the FL but left the link on our Chippie board.

Take a look at what Saks has come up with, they show the different "Decades of Style, Trend Then Trend Now." (from the 20's to the 90's)

Some of the clothes are beautiful and quite pricey, but I bet a lot of you ladies could sew repros.

Anyway, eyecandy for sure. Here is a link to the site:

http://tinyurl.com/4vav2m

0436198505339_ASTL_300x400.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot