Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-Inspired clothing lines

Goldfish

A-List Customer
lyburnum said:
Top Shop quality is fairly reasonable. It's sort of mid range fabrics, they're not going to last forever but they don't use any of those nasty stretchy polyester fabrics or anything like that. A lot of the nice stuff is handwash or dry clean only though. With Top Shop you really get what you pay for, some of the cheap stuff I've bought from there (like basic jersey tank tops) will last me about a year, but the nicer stuff (like dresses or cardigans) will last me year after year, and normally it gets thrown out because I don't wear it, not because the fabric is exhausted.

Thank you so much!

swinggal

One Too Many
I wandered into an up-market department store the other day (MYER for other Aussies here) and came across some gorgeous new 'Pleasure State - White label' lingerie. Some of the corsetry and suspender/girdle wear is lovely!! Very vintage inspired.

I a lovely dusty pink girdle/come suspender belt called 'Pin Up' which has a zip up side. It is soooo comfortable and really has a 30s/40s look about it.

Have a look on their website for the Pin Up style in the White Label collection.

http://www.pleasurestate.com/

Smuterella

One Too Many
Marks and Spencers have some wonderful and cheap highwasited trousers, they have a little shine but the drape of the wide leg and the GBP 15 price tag won me over. they also have a great collection of sailor front linen trousers and shorts at the moment too.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I just wanted to let you know about these two danish companies. Noa Noa is pretty international, they have shops all over Europe, but Edith & Ella is not that popular outside Denmark. Both companies make quite good quality clothing, and both are very vintage inspired. Noa Noa mixes everything from regency to victorian to 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, so actually both antique and vintage. ;)

Noa Noa:
picture_3.png

noanoafeathers.jpg

1Noa-Noa.jpg

Edith & Ella:
2572194189_3522d2eab5_o.jpg

2352884197_6951c529a3_o.jpg

2572194091_ef2aa3bcfa_o.jpg

The danish company Dixie Grey also makes some very cute vintage inspired dresses. I don't know about the availability of their clothing for people outside of Europe, though.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Darhling said:
wow, NoaNoa has really changed! The last I remember they were making really boxy clothes with no waist!

Well, those things still exist among their pieces, but if you look closely you can find the most delicate things as well. But it's definitely not hourglass stuff they make, they are very inspired by the 20's silhouette, and they never make pencil skirts.

They actually also have some great vintage inspired swimsuits. I'm also very excited about the high waisted pants in their summer 08 collection, you can see them on the website.

lyburnum

Practically Family
Laura Chase said:
I just wanted to let you know about these two danish companies. Noa Noa is pretty international, they have shops all over Europe, but Edith & Ella is not that popular outside Denmark. Both companies make quite good quality clothing, and both are very vintage inspired. Noa Noa mixes everything from regency to victorian to 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, so actually both antique and vintage. ;)

Noa Noa:
picture_3.png

noanoafeathers.jpg

1Noa-Noa.jpg

I love Noa Noa, I have a small independent shop down the road from me that stocks their clothing, as well as Nougat and St Tropez clothing. http://www.pinkvanilla.co.uk The clothes are a little out of my price range tho sadly :(

Laura Chase

One Too Many
lyburnum said:
I love Noa Noa, I have a small independent shop down the road from me that stocks their clothing, as well as Nougat and St Tropez clothing. http://www.pinkvanilla.co.uk The clothes are a little out of my price range tho sadly :(

Yes, their clothing is a little expensive when you buy it in regular shops, but the cool thing is that here in Copenhagen there is a Noa Noa factory outlet and I am completely addicted to going there and buying all this amazing stuff totally cheap, the prices are 50-70% lower than in the shops, and they have stuff from older collections and also stuff from new collections that is shipped to them if it has a little stain on it or a small rip or whatever. I've bought stuff there for no money at all just because there was a small rip in the lining or an invisible stain somewhere.

If you ever come to Denmark, I'd love to take you there. :) As far as I can tell, you're quite petite, and they also have a lot of small sizes, XS and S because those don't sell out as fast.

TessTrueheart

How have I totally missed Edith&Ella? I have never heard of them!! Their stuff looks fab. Someone will have to point their shop out for me sometime, and give me directions to the Noa Noa factory outlet!!

TessTrueheart

Laura Chase said:
But it's definitely not hourglass stuff they make, they are very inspired by the 20's silhouette, and they never make pencil skirts.

I bought a fabulous high waisted blue pencil skirt at Noa Noa in january. It's my favourite skirt!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
TessTrueheart said:
I bought a fabulous high waisted blue pencil skirt at Noa Noa in january. It's my favourite skirt!

I've never been so lucky to find one such at Noa Noa, all I ever find are those frumpy (on me, at least) bubble skirts. I'm in some dire need of totally basic skirts, I always end up buying really cute tops, but I never have skirts to wear with them! I'll have to keep my eyes open.

The Edith & Ella shop is right at Sølvtorvet, close to Statens Museum for Kunst, I think the street is called Østre Farimagsgade. I was at an Edith & Ella sale (lagersalg) a month ago or so and they had really cute stuff! And the Noa Noa outlet is on Langelinie, where all the Cruise Ships are. Mostly tourists visit it.

TessTrueheart

Laura Chase said:
I've never been so lucky to find one such at Noa Noa, all I ever find are those frumpy (on me, at least) bubble skirts. I'm in some dire need of totally basic skirts, I always end up buying really cute tops, but I never have skirts to wear with them! I'll have to keep my eyes open.

The Edith & Ella shop is right at Sølvtorvet, close to Statens Museum for Kunst, I think the street is called Østre Farimagsgade. I was at an Edith & Ella sale (lagersalg) a month ago or so and they had really cute stuff! And the Noa Noa outlet is on Langelinie, where all the Cruise Ships are. Mostly tourists visit it.

Thank you! I don't have any sense of direction, I can't find my way in my own back pocket basically, so I rarely stray from Strøget when I'm in Copenhagen... No wonder I can't find the cool shops...

Yes, I was quite surprised when I found the pencil skirt, I've never seen one in Noa Noa before. As you say, they're more 20's inspired. I also have a dark green a-line skirt from them. It has that perfect "land girl" look about it.:)

lyburnum

Practically Family
I'm not sure about Old Town Clothing. The prices are really high and it all seems a little too much like work wear for me - not enough glamour damn-it! :rolleyes:

MissHannah

One Too Many
Some of the styles are really nice but the clothes look like they don't fit the models that well, which makes me think their sizes are probably quite generous.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I actually quite like that utility look and I actually think they do aim at a sort of simple work-wear look, which could also mean that the clothing is very durable, which is a plus for me. But you can't really be sure of that before you see the clothing in real life... So would love it if someone could let me know if they see the clothing themselves. :)

Miss Hannah, you are right that the clothes don't fit the models very well, and if their sizes are generous (what they seem to be), they should have picked models that were a bit larger.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
Miss Hannah, you are right that the clothes don't fit the models very well, and if their sizes are generous (what they seem to be), they should have picked models that were a bit larger.

Exactly! There's really no need to use super lanky models for vintage styles is there? I do like those high waist black corduroy trousers - they look lovely and the model looks dead curvy in them.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
There's something about that workwear aspect that really appeals to me. It seems so authentic - though I hate to use that word. But then again, I'm probably more into everyday vintage styles than the whole glam thing. The prices are a bit steep for something you're not able to see in person, though.

Miss Hannah, you're right about the corduroy trousers! Who would have thought that corduroy could look so alluring?

Smuterella

One Too Many
i really like the utilitarian look, I'd love some of their things for work. does anyone have any of it so I can get an idea of quality. Its a bit pricey!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR