Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-Inspired clothing lines

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
This shop is so cute. I hate when they don't say the fabric content though. The dress is adorable on you (what I can see from your blog)

thanks! but yeah I agree, all it says is "mixed fibres"... normally I prefer natural materials, but with this I think it feels quite authentic, but I might be wrong.

scarlett

One of the Regulars
I placed an order with ModeMerr over a month ago. The confirmation was received right away. I sent 2 email requests for order status and never got a reply. I finally just filed a resolution claim with paypal. ModeMerr refunded the full purchase price without explanation. I really want the skirt and tops. I don't know why the order was cancelled. I've shopped with ModeMerr over the years and always had exceptional customer service. Anyone else having this problem?

simplyfussfree

New in Town
Has anyone had any recent experiences with Big Beautiful Barbara Brown? I'm particularly interested in international experiences. I have my eye on the 40s sweetheart dress in one of the tartans. Any thoughts on fit? I'm short-waisted with small shoulders and a full bust.
Any help appreciated!

zombi

A-List Customer
Well, I ran a search but didn't come up with much. Have any of you gals much experience with Tara Starlet (especially if you're in the USA like me)? Some of the dresses are so cute -- particularly the homefront dancing dress -- but I'm wondering if it's worth the price/easy to order?

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
Hi Scarlett,

I know the owner personally and can say that she tries to have the best customer service possible. I know Angela would want to know about your order issues. I would suggest contacting her via Facebook, of all places. I've seen people inquire about orders and she's gotten back to them pretty quickly.

Tuesday_Next

Familiar Face
Basically I can't sew....I will attempt to once more when we are moved out of our house and into the new one, but even then, it's a long shot at best. I live in the po-dunk South of USA, so thrift stores that carry good quality vintage items are non-existent. My size is weird so ordering online is never a good idea. Does anyone attempt vintage looks with what they find at Target, Kohls, JCPenney, etc.? How would I go about doing this? Thank you!

I just found a great rayon top in a ditzy floral at Forever 21 for about $18. It has a peter pan collar and a tie at the front.

5562259880_a23d8d9be1.jpg

Not the best photo but you can see the collar and tie. Its paired with a mohair cardigan from H&M that had a high waistline ribbing.

I have a swingy early 60s style jacket I found at Kohl's last spring that, when paired with capris and ballet flats, have a very Audrey Hepburn look to it. I just look for classic shapes. Places like Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters often have vintage-inspired pieces.

Does that help?

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
I just found a great rayon top in a ditzy floral at Forever 21 for about $18. It has a peter pan collar and a tie at the front.

5562259880_a23d8d9be1.jpg

Not the best photo but you can see the collar and tie. Its paired with a mohair cardigan from H&M that had a high waistline ribbing.

I have a swingy early 60s style jacket I found at Kohl's last spring that, when paired with capris and ballet flats, have a very Audrey Hepburn look to it. I just look for classic shapes. Places like Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters often have vintage-inspired pieces.

Does that help?

May I ask when you bought the cardigan? I really like it. And your hair is great, btw.

Tuesday_Next

Familiar Face
May I ask when you bought the cardigan? I really like it. And your hair is great, btw.

Thanks, Katinka! Sadly, the H&M cardigan was acquired at a clothing swap. My co-workers have an annual clothing swap. We bring all the unwanted garments and then root around in each other's stashes looking for that gem. Everything that doesn't get snapped up gets donated to a local women's charity. I usually find a few pieces that I can either use or alter. The sweater is actually a bit too large for me but I've been wearing it anyway because its so cute.... what size do you wear?

Heather, thanks so much! All hail Forever21 for the occasional gem.

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Well, I ran a search but didn't come up with much. Have any of you gals much experience with Tara Starlet (especially if you're in the USA like me)? Some of the dresses are so cute -- particularly the homefront dancing dress -- but I'm wondering if it's worth the price/easy to order?

I love Tara Starlet clothes, but I was a little disappointed when in Topshop t'other day and I got the feel some of their fabrics first hand. They're just a bit stiff and synthetic feeling, and at £75 for the dress I tried on, I'm sure I could get a nice sturdy cotton dress for cheaper. However, they do look very nice on!

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
Thanks, Katinka! Sadly, the H&M cardigan was acquired at a clothing swap. My co-workers have an annual clothing swap. We bring all the unwanted garments and then root around in each other's stashes looking for that gem. Everything that doesn't get snapped up gets donated to a local women's charity. I usually find a few pieces that I can either use or alter. The sweater is actually a bit too large for me but I've been wearing it anyway because its so cute.... what size do you wear?

So I`ll be watching ebay. Maybe I´m lucky enough to find it there.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
ChicStar

Hi ladies;

Has anyone had any experience with this company called ChicStar? They seem to be making Stop Staring knock-offs at incredibly low prices, and as I could never afford most repro dresses, I'd like to give this site a try. I'm sure they're not great quality, but has anyone ever bought one? Any feedback?

Their dresses are pretty cute, considering they're under $40.00 each...

35593_largeF.jpg

36984_largeF.jpg

img-thing

(Though they also manufacture this: ) :eeek:
35293_m.jpg

McVolke

New in Town
Hi ladies;

Has anyone had any experience with this company called ChicStar? They seem to be making Stop Staring knock-offs at incredibly low prices, and as I could never afford most repro dresses, I'd like to give this site a try. I'm sure they're not great quality, but has anyone ever bought one? Any feedback?

Their dresses are pretty cute, considering they're under $40.00 each...
I've wondered about them too. The dresses you posted RodeoRose are nice and the pants...well I completley agree. :eeek: And by the way you look stunning with your new hair cut, and I think you have a look that works with no matter what you do, AMAZING.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Has anyone had any recent experiences with Big Beautiful Barbara Brown? I'm particularly interested in international experiences. I have my eye on the 40s sweetheart dress in one of the tartans. Any thoughts on fit? I'm short-waisted with small shoulders and a full bust.
Any help appreciated!

I have only ordered once from her, it was the sweetheart neckline dress with a cherry pattern. I have to say that I was very dissapointed with the quality of the fabric, it's very thin and cheap looking and so I don't wear the dress often at all. Frankly, I could have made a nicer dress myself.

Having said all that, it was a couple of years ago now, and I think she may now line the dresses to give a nicer finish.

scarlett

One of the Regulars
I ordered a pair of sailor pants from chicstar once - they were horrible! The fabric is very cheap and paper thin and the construction matches the fabric perfectly. Even at $40 - I would say no deal at all.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Thanks Scarlett, I figured as much; the dresses do look a bit wrinkled and awkward even on the website's pictures. I think I'd best save my pennies and sew something up myself.

McVolke, thank you for the sweet compliment, you made my day :D!!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
It's true the fabric is thin and the dresses aren't lined, but atleast the price is based on that. I've bought repro clothes (from Tarantula for example), that were just as bad quality, but still super pricey! I have this dress
36640_LargeF.jpg

in black and red, and with the right accessories it looks very elegant! The slit in the back had to be shortened though. If you can sew, or if you're rich, never mind. But I'm neither, so this pencil dress is a nice simple staple to have in my wardrobe. The black one looks great with gold belt and shoes for example, I got many compliments. It's also nice to party in something you're not worried about spilling your drink on for once!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points