Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-Inspired Coats

lindylady

A-List Customer
Good afternoon, ladies,

It's getting cold in DC and I was wondering where I can get a nice vintage-inspired coat. So far, I've looked in Macy's and Burlington Coat Factory, but I couldn't find anything that looked good (all skimpy fabrics, low armholes, and shapeless cuts- ugh!) or suited my tall frame. Do you ladies know of any lines that cater to us?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I dont know your size, but Torrid.com always has som good VI things as far as coats goes. Try em on tho, their cuts can be strange.

Also thriftin' is the great tried and mostly ture source for a mean lookin coat.

Good luck,

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
The bay also. I got a great almost brand new VERY heavy wool swing coat for a hundred bucks. Not bad considering it probably would have cost upwards on 400 if brand new and modern. Again, don't know your size but there are quite a few nice coats up there now.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Just repeating what has already been said, but i agree wholeheartedly that thrift stores are the way to go for vintage coats.I have found some great very warm coats of great quality for next to nothing.

olive bleu

One Too Many
what about these?
1058324759_LG.jpg

1058326465_LG.jpg

http://www.smartbargains.com/images/product/105832/1058320410_LG.jpg

[_LG.jpg[/IMG]
1058326526_LG.jpg

http://womens-apparel.smartbargains.com/images/product/105832/

[IMG]http://womens-apparel.smartbargains.com/images/product/105832/1058328911_LG.jpg

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I found a lovely brown coat (and I'm tall too--finally one long enough for me) from Burlington by AK Anne Klein with some great detailing on the collar and pockets that really hearkens back to "our time."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The best part of this time of year is that all the nifty coats go on the racks at the Goodwill! I found a very nice emerald-green single-breasted-belted '40s-looking coat there last winter for $15, and now I'm trying to justify spending money on a very nice camels-hair number they've just put out.

One caveat about thrift store coats, though -- watch out for moths. Whenever I get any kind of coat from a second-hand source the first thing I do with it is stick in the deep-freeze for a couple days to make sure there aren't any Unwanted Hitchhikers that could cause trouble later....

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
olive bleu said:
what about these?
1058324759_LG.jpg

I had a coat like this (still do) but it's quite weathered. It was my favorite coat ever!! I did pick up the swankiest coat at an antique store for $50. I need to take a photo and share it with you girls. It's in tip top shape...I would say from the fifties...all black...with square rhinestone buttons. Absolutley gorgeous. I don't wear it very often at all, only on special occasions.

I was looking the coat above online at it's $250 & I just can't reason getting a coat that cost that much when I won't really be able to wear it very often. Having a toddler really doesn't allow one to get out very often. NOW if I found it for $40 like I did my last one I would wear it all the time...lol!

katiepickle

New in Town
I found both of these at the swapmeet for under $30.

swapmeetcoat.jpg

This one has a real beaver collar and didn't even need to be cleaned.

P1010007.jpg

And this one is in perfect condition and I couldn't turn it down. Unfortunately, now I can't get rid of it.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Ooh Katie- you got a deal! I usually find myself wearing a black wrap around cape... but I'd love to have one of those old Florence Nightengale wool ones:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR