Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage inspired new years resolution

CherryBombRock

Familiar Face
1. Learn to start projects well in advance so that I won't be try to finish it off the night before I need it - this applies to most things but esp my sewing - I usually start well in advance but lose interest as I think "is not for another coupla months/weeks/days/hours..eak!
2. Find a job that I'm happier in or give careful consideration into starting my own business
3. Motivate myself to do number 2 and not stick my head in the sand!
4. Travel to Canada, west coast USA and Mexico.

Not much eh?!?

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
I never really make resolutions becuase I have a horrible track record with them, but I guess this year I'll give it a shot.

I would like to be more domestic, keeping my house cleaner, making sure dinner is on the table when my boyfriend comes home from work, actually putting the clean laundry away when it comes out of the dryer, etc. I try, as I only work 20 hours a week tops, and my boyfriend works over 50 a week. I think my laziness has part to do with the fact I am a nanny, so I spend my day cleaning up someone else's house and watching someone else's kid, so when I get home my brain is saying "but I just made 3 beds, and I just did the dishes and vaccumed the floor!" so I don't have much motivation. My mom also said I seemed depressed when she last visited, which I kinda am, since I am drowning in debt and am always worried if I will be able to pay my bills.

The second part my my resolution will be to take better care of myself, like going to bed before 1 am, shaving my legs more (they just take so long to do!) etc.

Nashoba

One Too Many
~landgirl~ said:
Good luck for tomorrow! But if you're not then just remember that its not ment to be at *this time*. I bet you will miss him like mad :(

Thanks! I have to admit though I'm a bit sick of it not being *this time*. I know I'm supposed to learn patience from this, but I'm a bit stubborn....lol
I do miss him, but I adjust. It sounds wierd but you kind of get used to it. Thank god for TCM, chocolate, ice cream and the gym...(have to counterbalance the sweets :) )

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I resolve to find a decent tailor in greater NYC – someone I can communicate with – and get my great old duds fixed up for fair. I resolve to meet 'em halfway by dropping 7-10 lbs, which I gotta do for my diabetes anyway.

I resolve to get my band back together.

I resolve to find a woman who knows her way around red lipstick! :rolleyes: ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
1. Stop worrying so much. Sufficient unto each day is the evil thereof, or something.

2. Go to the Y more than once every six months.

3. Stop using the spare room as a warehouse for empty boxes and assorted debris.

4. Make up a big box for Goodwill of everything I haven't worn or used in the past year.

5. Sew more. It's cheaper than therapy!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
*Clean out things I'm not using and donate them to charity.
*Refine my collections- count patterns and sell them on ebay (the ones that aren't my absolute favorites) and use the money to pay off bills so I can travel more!
*Use the massive fabric stash instead of buying more fabric and stashing it away. Go through and get rid of things I won't use.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Time to resurrect this thread!

What are your New Years resolutions?

I intend to sew more, read more (books not the net), eat better (more unprocessed foods) & get fit - how about you?

Oh & a happy New Year to you all!

Lolly

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vintage resolutions for 2010

Achieve pin curl mastery.
Write thank you notes.
Sew the 30s patterns that have accumulated.
Learn to play the ukelele.
Dust.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Stop spending money and so dig myself out of this financial hole.
Buy a (cheap!) sewing machine and teach myself to make things.
Decide what I want out of the relationship I'm in (and thus probably end it).
If the above happens I'd like to find a relationship I can actually put my heart into.
Lose the 4 kilos I've put on.
Stop smoking (hahahahahahaha...I doubt that will happen).

So, nothing big there, then. :rolleyes:

Scotus

One of the Regulars
Vintage inspired New Year's resolutions? First, buy a new Homburg. There's a great hat shop in Chicago. I have one but need another. Second, buy a pair of more vintage inspired gloves for wearing once spring comes (this will help me stay focused on the fact that winter will end).

These are two resolutions that can easily and happily be kept.

amynbebes

New in Town
Vintage inspired? break out my new sewing machine and get curtains made for my new house
Invest in quality clothing and accessories rather than quantity. A local antique mall has everything 50% off and I'm itching for my next paycheck to get over there and hit their jewelry counter.
And schlep my scanner and laptop over to grandma's and scan all of her pics because I know that unfortunately when she passes that my sister and I will likely be looked over by the older cousins when it comes to those

Not vintage inspired? finish losing the last 10 lbs and restart an exercise regimen

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
A"In this next decade I really need to try and make sure I finish a project before I move on to something else, i have some Art Deco Lighting I purchased 18 months ago and never got around to putting up!"

B" I really need to spend less, Champagne at every meal (but never at my desk at work!) really does have to go,one really needs to think 1929! "

Foofoogal

Banned
I resolve to squeeze as much joy out of each moment I can. Dismiss the party pooper people and hide from drama people who gripe constantly and are never content.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
Achieve pin curl mastery.
Write thank you notes.
Sew the 30s patterns that have accumulated.
Learn to play the ukelele.
Dust.

"Write thank you notes." This is a quality that is timeless, not just vintage.

May you influence many in this resolution, Miss 1929...

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
The perennial "Lose weight, get into better shape." Doc says I need to lose 100 pounds. For inspiration I have my older brother whom, when I visited him earlier this month, was injecting himself with insulin due to having adult onset diabetes. The vintage-inspired part is that if I was 100 pounds lighter I might be able to fit into the vintage suit I have in the closet, and the vintage hats that used to fit but have grown tight over the past couple of years might also fit again! :D

I also intend to work on improving my handwriting while writing with my fountain pens. I'll do this in conjunction with my nine year-old granddaughter practicing her own cursive with a fountain pen I gave her last weekend.

While improving my handwriting I might even pull out the list of pen-pals that Lady Day sent me about two years ago, and send a couple of notes! :eusa_doh:

Cheers,
Tom

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
I have a few, all hobbies that need to be picked up:

1. Learn to sew
2. Find out how to make some vintage style luggage (and make some)
3. Learn to take good photos, not just snaps
4. Make more men's jewellery
5. Draw more
6. Hike more

Should keep me busy!

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Tango Yankee said:
The vintage-inspired part is that if I was 100 pounds lighter I might be able to fit into the vintage suit I have in the closet

Sad news about your brother.

I have hiking / country walking on my list as I have never set foot into a gym and don't intend to.

One of the saddest things I've seen recently: I went walking in the Peak District, a National Park near here. At the train station there is a gym, full of spandex clad goons pumping away on treadmills. Why not just walk up the hills!?!?

The Shirt

Practically Family
Mine are as follows in no particular order
1. Write more letters (last years was thank you notes and I'm doing rather well on this one!)

2. Road trip at least once a month. I love to discover out of the way places and pick up the local history.

3. Bicycle more (more exploring but in a stop and slow down sort of way).

4. Smell the flowers.

5. Continue to sew more. Lauren and Amy Jeane have me so inspired.

6. Make more handmade gifts.

7. Perfect the vintage hair set that suits me.

Edward

Bartender
The key word: downsize. I want to downsize:

a] the amount of junk in my flat - I have an incredible quantity of stuff, and it's been slowly taking over.... clearing a lot of it out will help make space (and hopefully, via eBay, raise some funds) for stuff I do need / want. This will also help leave room to work in, installing as much shelving and other storage facility as I can manage.

b] my physical size - I'm a touch overweight... I finally this last year came to terms with the fact that I can't be the size I was when I was eighteen, but I do relly need to trim down a bit. Walking more would be a good start...

c] my own expectations in life. I think quite a few of my disappointments in my own life have come as a result of thinking I should have achieved so much more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles