Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Inspired Shoes and Stiff Leather

Ccc

New in Town
I have tried on various vintage-inspired shoes, the last ones were from Target. On all of them, the leather was very stiff, even hard, and so uncomfortable, I cannot imagine wearing them for any reason.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is the leather on actual vintage shoes softer than that of today's shoes?

If you know where I can find vintage inspired shoes, with soft leather, please post or email me. I'd really like to find something soon.

Thanks!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
There are plenty of new shoes that have soft leather, but they cost upwards of $100 in my experience. I bought a pair of gold Marc Jacobs 20's style shoes on sale for around $100 (originally $389) and the leather is fairly soft. My Bally work shoes (around $200 retail) are as soft as butter.

The shoes at Target are cheap and of pretty low quality, I know, I bought some of them. They fall apart fast too.

The Remix shoes are hard but can be softened up. Has anyone tried a leather conditioner on shoes? It works for coats, but try at your own risk.

As for vintage shoes, some were hard, some soft. Some may be softened from wear, or hardened from age. Most were better made than today's shoes.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I found some comfy shoes...at last!

I bought these from Roaman's.

http://www.roamans.com/roamans/product/product.asp?pf_id=86540&dept_id=743&parent_id=&

I have wide, very flat and no arches for feet. I've been searching for a long time for some pretty, yet comfortable dress shoes. These appear to me to be vintage-styled and the best part is that they are extremely comfortable. I loved the brown ones so much that I got the red and the black too! I just wish they came in bone and navy colors and then my collection would be complete! The Step Up Comfort shoes are pretty well made and with the 1" heel, I can wear them all day! They run pretty much true to size and I ordered an 8 1/2 wide (my usual shoe size) and they felt comfortable from the moment I put them on--the leather is soft, but not "floppy". I do have narrow ankles and had to make another hole on the strap, but otherwise I'm very pleased with them.

I agree with Tourbillion that Target shoes are made pretty cheap and the leather shoes can be very stiff. I have a friend who works with leather a lot and he said that stiff leather in shoes is a sign of poorer quality leather. Shoe leather should support and protect the feet, but soft enough to wear comfortably.

Ccc you're from the midwest. Where abouts are you located? Just being nosey...

Ccc

New in Town
Thanks for the info!

I've tried several higher-end stores for shoes, but maybe I just have sensitive feet. I did look through the links, so I may have some luck there. By the way, I'm from Michigan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart