Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Jackets You Regret Not Buying

hieu

A-List Customer
Great vintage jackets don't last long on marketplaces. Hesitation can often lead to jackets being snapped up by someone more decisive. For me, this is what makes it fun. What are some jackets you regret missing out on?

Here's my most recent 'one that got away'. A 40s Seattle Woolen Halfbelt in Goatskin. I decided to play it safe and ask for measurements + shoulder pics. Woke up and it was gone.

https://www.depop.com/products/metroboomer-genuine-vintage-goatskin-leather-jacket/
P0.jpg

AHP91

Practically Family
Great vintage jackets don't last long on marketplaces. Hesitation can often lead to jackets being snapped up by someone more decisive. For me, this is what makes it fun. What are some jackets you regret missing out on?

Here's my most recent 'one that got away'. A 40s Seattle Woolen Halfbelt in Goatskin. I decided to play it safe and ask for measurements + shoulder pics. Woke up and it was gone.

https://www.depop.com/products/metroboomer-genuine-vintage-goatskin-leather-jacket/
View attachment 592623

I know your pain. That’s a beautiful jacket. I’ve had a couple that I’ve missed that I could’ve bought. Ultimately, however, in hindsight I probably overestimated how much it was a “Grail-ish” jacket for me.

Recently, however, I’m still thinking about a pair of 1950s engineer boots in my size that I didn’t purchase. Posted for about a quarter of the price of what it would typically sell for. Didn’t know much about dating boots at the time, and was hesitant to purchase even given ample time to do so. Someone knew better than I and bought it up.
7F850E45-A46F-4162-9569-852966BC2767.png
01131E28-F479-4538-9DFB-233CC5AAECAC.png

hieu

A-List Customer
Recently, however, I’m still thinking about a pair of 1950s engineer boots in my size that I didn’t purchase.
I'm not much of a boots guy myself but those are really beautiful, great grain/creasing.
Ultimately, however, in hindsight I probably overestimated how much it was a “Grail-ish” jacket for me.
You're right about this. It hurts most initially. I think the Seattle Woolen would've been cool to have but I'm not sure that it would've gotten much wear from me.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars

View attachment 592623
Aagh I'm in this situation now, eyeing a 50s goatskin piece and awaiting the (correctly measured) sleeve length.

That is a beauty but probably right about how our excitement for these things miiiight get the better of us. That one looks very short, I'm sure it was too short ;)

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 592623
This "hesitation" is what I don't get. I do get sizing and wearing, but a Seattle Woolen as pictured I would rate A+ so rare you will not see another in any size. I would just like to have the pictures!

My hesitation has been long cured. It just took one missed jacket to change my way of buying. . I've bought jackets on ebay before I read the description or even finished looking at the pictures! If you want certain jackets you have to take a risk. My risk have paid off.

It isn't about "stealing" a deal, it is about getting the deal. Some jackets are just worth the money, fit or not..

Knowledge is the Key to building a Vintage collection. It takes more than money

Nacho

Practically Family

View attachment 592623

Good to see you’re back!

This is a great topic. You know how many cool jackets I missed in the last year or so. And like you, I used to ask for measurements and wait. That’s why somebody else snatches from me. These days, I just eyeball and scoop it up if the jacket is good enough lol. Works well for me so far.

Last edited:

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
This "hesitation" is what I don't get. I do get sizing and wearing, but a Seattle Woolen as pictured I would rate A+ so rare you will not see another in any size. I would just like to have the pictures!

My hesitation has been long cured. It just took one missed jacket to change my way of buying. . I've bought jackets on ebay before I read the description or even finished looking at the pictures! If you want certain jackets you have to take a risk. My risk have paid off.

It isn't about "stealing" a deal, it is about getting the deal. Some jackets are just worth the money, fit or not..

Knowledge is the Key to building a Vintage collection. It takes more than money
Where do I find this Knowledge oh wise one? For real any pointers would be mich appreciated.

hieu

A-List Customer
That is a beauty but probably right about how our excitement for these things miiiight get the better of us. That one looks very short, I'm sure it was too short ;)
Definitely too short. Also the shoulder seam is busted ;)
These days, I just eyeball and scoop it up if the jacket is good enough lol. Works well for me so far.
I feel you, I was really tempted to but I just can't justify buying another jacket unless it's perfect. I'm trying really hard to curb my buying. Someone linked this goodyearwelt reddit post that hit a little too close to home.

This "hesitation" is what I don't get.
I think it essentially boils down to the fact that I don't really view myself as a collector.

That being said I really appreciate those who are. Especially folks who take the time and effort to document their collections, share fit pics, give advice. Most of the jackets I've bought have been because of how good they look on other loungers. These are the people who really keep the community going in my opinion.

jeo

One Too Many
I have some regrets selling that I quickly get over, but never not buying.

There’s been an endless amount of jackets I missed out on or didn’t buy for one reason or another.

With some patience there’ll always be more that pop up and often times, they’re either in better condition or they’re same ones you missed because you hesitated. Jackets come and go.

Terry is spot on but I’ll just add a few things.

You can have all the money in the world, but without the knowledge you’re just shooting blind.

You can have all the knowledge in the world but without the money you’ll miss out.

You can have all the knowledge and money in the world but without the willingness to act you’ll also miss out.

Lastly, if you build up a large enough pool of sources you’ll learn to not have regrets for not buying, even the super rare ones you might have thought will never pop up again.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I learned buying all my hats that to think about it is to lose it. Strike fast, if you make an offer, make it worth their while.
Hesitate trying to save a few bucks and you save all the bucks.
Then to jackets…ask questions and say goodbye to your treasure. Don’t hunt continually and miss the bus.
No matter how quick to draw sometimes someone is faster. We’ve all been there and mourned the never agains.
It’s all part of the sport!!
Yes, have missed many. I’ll always see @ton312’s stellar gray Vanson E, the Gray Ghost Langlitz Cascade, the epic Cals, the….on and on’s.
But, won lots more than lost, but still…
tears at night, joy in the morning.
B

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A few years ago, I came across an early Sears Hercules D pocket with the aviator back, black and red plaid. At the time, I did not think it would be this difficult to find another one, so I waited. Have not seen another one in the same condition since then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner