Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage lipstick

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Those are really great suggestions Jitterbug thanks i supose anything fleshy tone might be out of the question or maybe just not very 1940's or 50's!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I avoid flesh/neutral/brown toned lipstick; it washes me out and it's not the right era for me :) I have to be careful with any pastel lipstick shades, as again, they tend to make me look tired and featureless.

If you want something more subtle though, certain medium rose shades look very nice and add enough color to avoid the aforementioned predicament :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A nice rosey color that is not too bright is Revlon Berry Marquee. I just discovered this today. I really like it a lot, and I usually don't wear pinks. If you have a CVS near you, they are buy one get one free.

maisie

Practically Family
I use Mary Kay's Paprika lipstick, i love the colour as it isn't too red and the smell isn't bad either (that may sound weird but you know the type of lipsticks that small like wax! eww!!), but unfortunatly they don't stock that colour anymore!!:( So i have been on the lookout for a similar colour but with no luck!

dollfaced

Familiar Face
That rosey colored revlon lipstick sounds lovely i found a nice very light pink lipstick at wal-mart today called pink velvet by revlon it looks alot like portrait pink by Besame!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
That rosey colored revlon lipstick sounds lovely i found a nice very light pink lipstick at wal-mart today called pink velvet by revlon it looks alot like portrait pink by Besame!

That sounds lovely! Is the color very light, or is it more of a deeper, soft pink? On their site it looks very 50s (and check out the "Gentleman Prefer Pink" shade, too)--I may have to add it to my collection lol

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Revlon Pink Velvet

It is very light soft pink it feels nice and it last so i think it is a keeper i have never seen another lipstick by Besame other than portrait pink so will have to check out that knew shade you mentioned Jitterbug;)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
i think it is a keeper i have never seen another lipstick by Besame other than portrait pink so will have to check out that knew shade you mentioned Jitterbug

The shade I mentioned is another Revlon shade--they have a number of very vintage pinks. I do feel kind of naked without red lipstick, but it's always good to have options lol

dollfaced

Familiar Face
I would think you have more options because your a blonde and blondes always look good in really light pinks and pastels or even red's my grandmother was a blonde i use to love the shades she wore but having black hair and light skin you feel like you have to wear red all the time to have that striking vintage look.Did you ever remember that Revlon shade you mentiond the dark fusia or plum ?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I would think you have more options because your a blonde and blondes always look good in really light pinks and pastels or even red's my grandmother was a blonde i use to love the shades she wore but having black hair and light skin you feel like you have to wear red all the time to have that striking vintage look.Did you ever remember that Revlon shade you mentiond the dark fusia or plum ?

No, it's harder for me to wear pastels because I so pale with light blonde hair. Light lipsticks make me look like I am sick, and I already get enough "You look like a ghost" comments that I don't want to add fuel to that fire lol

My sister had very dark brown hair and pale skin (not as pale as mine, but when she stays out of the sun she looks like Snow White), and she always wears soft pink/rose/plum shades. She won't wear red at all [huh]

I tried to find the Revlon lipstick on their Web site, but it might be discontinued. I will check the color options the next time I am in the store to see if I can find a good substitute.

dollfaced

Familiar Face
I think the snow white look is simply adorable my two little ones always say i remind them of snow whitelol ! I personally would love to be more pale rather then having light skin with pink cheeks! I just avoid th sun completely in high school everyone called me a ghost i hated that myself! I will have to go check out the Revlon section next time im out shopping as if i really needed another lipstick i think i am obssessed or have a problem i counted my lipsticks the other day i have about 30! My mom always tells me lipsticks do go bad or expire how can you wear them all before they go bad who knows:eek: ! She told me once i bet woman in the 40's only had 1 or 2 lipsticks and cherished what they had! Who knows maybe thats true i don't know!!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I think the snow white look is simply adorable my two little ones always say i remind them of snow white ! I personally would love to be more pale rather then having light skin with pink cheeks! I just avoid th sun completely in high school everyone called me a ghost i hated that myself! I will have to go check out the Revlon section next time im out shopping as if i really needed another lipstick i think i am obssessed or have a problem i counted my lipsticks the other day i have about 30! My mom always tells me lipsticks do go bad or expire how can you wear them all before they go bad who knows ! She told me once i bet woman in the 40's only had 1 or 2 lipsticks and cherished what they had! Who knows maybe thats true i don't know!!

Oh, I am very pale and very pink, too. I always wear foundation (which is a struggle to find in a shade that matches) to even out those pink tones :rolleyes:

I have kept lipsticks for years without any issues. But I do believe some brands will 'turn' faster than others. Periodically I do go on a cleaning binge and throw out a bunch, but I always end up replacing them some way or another lol

During the war, you would have only had one or two lipsticks as they were in short supply. I even recall seeing the movie Tender Comrade, where one of the women confesses that she's been hoarding lipsticks (she had a shoebox full) and feels so guilty about it!

dollfaced

Familiar Face
How funny i usually start giving them away then end up replacing them with time myself i just don't realize it till i really stop and think about it . I just wish there were more vintage brands besides Besame that look authentically vintage i love lipsticks in a gold tubes so far i have only seen estee lauder tubes all gold that have been around a long time that are quite pretty.Wouldn't that be fun if FedoaLounge had a little minnie auction so when we get sick of our makeup we could sell or just trade it ? I think i just like the feeling of something knew like gettng a thrill but then you get over it and need something new.

Chanel

dollfaced said:
I just found out that Revlon raven red was discontinued in 1999 they only make the nail color i was thinking maybe Besame cherry red lipstick might be the best match Jitterbug what do you think? Has anyone ever tryed any Chanel lipsticks? If so what colors are pretty i have never tryed them i have this horrible need to try eveything!

I bought a Chanel lipstick for my wedding but that was back in 1997. It was a wine color but I don't remember what it was called. I know I loved it though because I wore it tell there was nothing left.

If you are looking for a vintage deep pink shade, try Revlon's Cherries in the Snow. I bought it when my hair was on the red side, and I didn't like it, but now that I have gone more dark brown almost black it looks great. I am fair skinned also and have pink tones that I have to even out also. The brighter colors look best on me too. I have never been a fan of 60's style frosted pale pink.:p

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
I don't know if it is really one of the vintage Revlon colors, but the best red I have found for me so far is Revlon's Volcanic Red. It is a little bit more of a terra-cotta red, and it seems to have some orange in it. I love it! If you have a problem with all of the other reds looking "pink" on you then I would recommend this!

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Revlon lipstick shades

I have noticed that Love that Red and Fire and Ice are close in color with only a slit difference in color i always wanted to try the Valcanic Red but thought it might look like something i already have as usually happens to me . I know my teacher at school this very sweet lady in her 60's or 70's always had her lipstick on perfectly and when i asked her what she wore she said Hot Coral by revlon she said she had the tube for many yeas and it was her favorite so i bought it because it looked so nice on her. Certainly red is still my favorite color though!;)

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Revlon Lipstick

Jitterbug i don't know if you have seen this lipstick but i just found it at CVS it's Revlon and it's called Raspberry Bite it's very pretty color it's a cross between a deep raspberry and a soft Crimson shade !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy