Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage lipstick

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Jitterbug i don't know if you have seen this lipstick but i just found it at CVS it's Revlon and it's called Raspberry Bite it's very pretty color it's a cross between a deep raspberry and a soft Crimson shade !

Thank you for thinking of me, dollfaced! I will check it out the next time I am at the store :)

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Your welcome i know you will really like this shade! Maybe some of the other gals as well! And i wanted to add it has nice pigment and staying power!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I just bought Revlon lipstick, in a red color (the classic lady line, or whatever it's called, I got the one Eva was wearing) anyways, great color, but, I think it's too red for a redhead [huh] maybe it's just me, but haircolor can seem to play a role in what make-up colors look good on you...or maybe I just need to get used to the look! My husband last night just kept looking at my lips and then finally said, 'damn, that lipsticks pretty darn red' :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

glamgirl

New in Town
I have just bought a couple of Avon lipsticks that I have found to be great vintage colours: 24 hour red and President's red. They are matte and "set" when you put them on. I love them :)

wibblebird

New in Town
I think 99% of my posts are about lipstick

You mean the Avon "My Lip Miracle"? I liked that lipstick - I got one called "Super Red" that looked very vintage-y on me. But, like all the L'oreal lipstick, I only wear it occasionally - I can't stand the fragrance. Too flowery. That's one of the reasons I'm so obsessed with the Besame lipsticks right now - they smell & taste like white chocolate. Wonderful! Paula's Choice lipsticks (I love her skin care) taste similar, feel wonderful and are reasonably priced - but her colors are seriously lacking. She just added two reds to her cream lipsticks, but they are far too sheer for me.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
www.avon.com My favorite is Ultra Moisture Rich lipstick in Lava Love because I like it bright. On sale for $2.99. Their other reds as of this minute are Perfect Wear All-Day Comfort in 24 Hour Red, and Ultra Color Rich in Red 2000. They are constanly removing and adding new and old colors so President's Red, which I love, may reappear. No sign of Red Red, though. And no more Super Red so far.

glamgirl

New in Town
The colours may be different here than in the US but they do have president's red in the catalogue that I just saw. I like the smell of Avon lipsticks, it's like a sweet vanilla. Not sickly sweet but very nice. I don't notice the smell at all once I've applied it but you can smell it from the actual stick. If you want president's red and they don't have it over there perhaps I could get it here and post it. I would assume that the colours would be the same given that it's the same company, just a different location.

I'm not sure if they have "red red" but I can get a current catalogue and let you all know if you would like. That way I could help you get it if you want (prices may be different because of the exchange rate though). The option is there.

crystalface

One of the Regulars
This doesn't really count, but I picked up some really cheapie lipstick yesterday at Rite-Aid and oh yes, it's Wet N Wild. The color is 905 (i think)
I got a lip liner in a similar shade.

And also, Origins makes a really nice red, in the Flower Fusion line, called Poppy. (I work there, wore it today, actually) ;)

I'm thinking of checking out the Besame line :D

olive bleu

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
A lipstick I would love to find, is a red (blue-red) color that stays on for a long time. I've seen commercials for ever-wear lipsticks...does anyone know the difference with these than other ones?
Even though this is a lipstick thread, concerning eyeshadows, did women in the 30's and 40's have a broad range of colors? what was the most popular? including eyeliner?
my experience with long-lasting lipsticks is that they tend to be very dry.it always feels uncomfortable and i end up licking my lips alot which, of course, means it is no longer"long-lasting"!

dollfaced

Familiar Face
I think Mac Red, Ruby Woo, power house, Girl About Town,Lady Danger, are great retro colors.I just bought some of there new lip glosses called lip varnish in autobody red,Warning,and polish me pink these are all great for topping over lipstick or alone they have super staying power high gloss that reminds of a plastic doll or a barbie from the 50's;) ! I also found a web site with very pretty lipsticks which i am dieing to order the website is Julie Hewett cosmetics i think but any how she has a lipstick noir collection i think you would like or maybe some of you have already heard of her!!!

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Warm, cool, or neutral?

It seems every red lipstick I've ever tried has ended up being unflattering. I can't seem to figure out whether my skin is warm or not, so I never know which red to pick. I'm very, very pale, but my hair is a kind of dark strawberry blonde and my eyes are a deep hazel/goldish color. So obviously I'm inclined to think I'm warm, except that in the past people at makeup counters have said I have cool skin. (The other conclusion here is that red just doesn't work with my coloring, period.)

Does anyone have a few reds I could try, and could you tell me whether they're warm, cool, or true red? I prefer to use drugstore brands since I don't have the money to spend on MAC.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I just bought foundation and eye liner from Julie Hewett, but wasn't too impressed on the whole (though others say her lipsticks are wonderful.)

Polka Dot-you may have good luck with a brick or brown-based red, which will be more neutral in tone and will be less likely to pull orange or pink (which is a problem many women have with red lipsticks due to natural chemistry.)

You may also do better with more a sheer red (which would be perfectly period appropriate for a more natural look.) Though I have not tried these colors myself, NYC Retro Red and Sheer Red receive rave reviews on www.makeupalley.com (and both cost about $1 :)).

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
My new favorite red

My new favorite red is Lumene's "In my heart/Sydamessain" which is available in CVS. I got it on sale today and I have already fallen in love with the sheer texture and the color!

olive bleu

One Too Many
Polka Dot said:
It seems every red lipstick I've ever tried has ended up being unflattering. I can't seem to figure out whether my skin is warm or not, so I never know which red to pick. I'm very, very pale, but my hair is a kind of dark strawberry blonde and my eyes are a deep hazel/goldish color. So obviously I'm inclined to think I'm warm, except that in the past people at makeup counters have said I have cool skin. (The other conclusion here is that red just doesn't work with my coloring, period.)

Does anyone have a few reds I could try, and could you tell me whether they're warm, cool, or true red? I prefer to use drugstore brands since I don't have the money to spend on MAC.
I think jitterbugdoll is on to something with the sheer reds.An inexpensive one that i really like is RIMMEL-Hot To Trot.I got it at wal-mart for $5.Even less than that for you in the u.s. Also, have you asked someone who's opinion you trust, to tell you how THEY think you look with red lipstick? When i first decided i wanted to wear it, i really had a difficult time because i always wore brownish shades, so red was really quite a leap.One day I was running late for work & when i got there, i realized the only lipstick i had was a bright red,i used it all day rather than do without and i received compliments on it allday long!Just goes to show, sometimes it's hard to be objective about your own face...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner