Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Nail advice

Hello ladies! As I was saying in my first thread I'm wearing a vintage dress for a friend's Homecoming dance and I have everything I need for, except I have no idea how to do my nails. My dress is a mix between a light pink and a medium pink and has white polka-dots, my cardigan is black with fabulous lace details (both are vintage repros), a nice pair of black flats(close to vintage repro), a beautiful actual vintage silver clutch from Paris, and I know how I am going to do my hair. The problem I have is what should I do with my nails. I have been seeing quite a few ladies who have their nails cut short and painted a deep red. My nails are between 1/4 and 1/2" long, so I can cut them if need be or not. But I do need advice and soon, because I'll be going up to get the polish I need tomorrow. Thank you again ladies for all your wonderful advice the last few days.
Sarah

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Take a look around the beauty forum. There are several threads on nail polish and vintage manicures.

You can use a plain pink polish - there were lots of colors other than red that gals wore back then. What wasn't around was the French manicure.

Many ladies like to match their polish and lipstick, so you might want to think about that. If you'll be wearing red lipstick, you might not want to do your nails pink, know what I mean?

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
But would red look nice with the pink? Did they wear red with pink? And if so what shade of red? Thank you in advance.
Sarah

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
If you can find a red with a pink undertone it will compliment the pink dress...

I wear pink sweaters with jeans and have red nails and lips all the time.. but I have a mountain of different reds...

Like a blue red.. pink red, orange red, brown red... so I change my red according to what im wearing.

I myself cant wear pink nail polish... and i still have yet to find one that looks good on my deep skin :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
newtovintage said:
But would red look nice with the pink? Did they wear red with pink? And if so what shade of red? Thank you in advance.

Of course. You just don't want an orangey red. I have a pink-based red lipstick (MAC's Glam) that works well and is fine with the normal blue-based red polish I usually wear. Somewhere around here is a picture of me in a pale pink dress with red lips and nails.

EDIT: photos found! Sorry for the stupid facial expressions. I would be wearing MAC Glam lipstick and OPI All the Berry Best polish, both of which are very, very bright red. I think they work fine.

cheersoakbarxs0.jpg

kittytbellalegalpx3.jpg

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Of course. You just don't want an orangey red. I have a pink-based red lipstick (MAC's Glam) that works well and is fine with the normal blue-based red polish I usually wear. Somewhere around here is a picture of me in a pale pink dress with red lips and nails.

EDIT: photos found! Sorry for the stupid facial expressions. I would be wearing MAC Glam lipstick and OPI All the Berry Best polish, both of which are very, very bright red. I think they work fine.

cheersoakbarxs0.jpg

kittytbellalegalpx3.jpg

The color of my dress is a much more pink. Should I wear a dark red or a bright red?

V-Sweetheart

New in Town
Depends on the era of vintage

Actually depending on how far you go back, like if you are doing 20s (which your outfit sounds 50s) they did have something similar to a french manicure. For some reason I remember the term being moonicure. They did bright red with white tips and some times the little light colored patch near the nail bed. Kind of unusual looking but they were pretty wild in the 20s!

KittyT said:
You can use a plain pink polish - there were lots of colors other than red that gals wore back then. What wasn't around was the French manicure.

Many ladies like to match their polish and lipstick, so you might want to think about that. If you'll be wearing red lipstick, you might not want to do your nails pink, know what I mean?

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
V-Sweetheart said:
Actually depending on how far you go back, like if you are doing 20s (which your outfit sounds 50s) they did have something similar to a french manicure. For some reason I remember the term being moonicure. They did bright red with white tips and some times the little light colored patch near the nail bed. Kind of unusual looking but they were pretty wild in the 20s!

My outfit is probably a late 40's outfit, but it's not 50's, at least not anything like I've seen that is supposed to be 50's. Anyhow, I am going for a 40's look. I know this is off topic but, what color hosiery should I wear with my dress. My dress is pink, but as I said I am wearing black shoes and a black cardigan, so should I wear black hose or tan? Thank you all for your help.
Sarah

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
V-Sweetheart said:

Yes, you're right Sweetheart. I know that Dita Von Teese is particularly fond of the style with the half moon at the nail bed exposed. Check out this link for some great colour choices as well as an example of the afore mentioned manicure style. Vintage Nails and Makeup 1930's

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
newtovintage said:
My outfit is probably a late 40's outfit, but it's not 50's, at least not anything like I've seen that is supposed to be 50's. Anyhow, I am going for a 40's look. I know this is off topic but, what color hosiery should I wear with my dress. My dress is pink, but as I said I am wearing black shoes and a black cardigan, so should I wear black hose or tan? Thank you all for your help.
Sarah

I'd always say when in doubt go with tan. But try to get something as close to your natural skin colour as possible, rather than a really Tanned or Bronze look. If you aren't going the whole way and wearing a garter belt with suspenders, have a look for pantyhose with a rear seam. That will help to compliment the feel of your dress to, and is much more sophisticated than just a plain nylon. Most better department stores carry them, and whatever you do, don't buy supermarket pantyhose - they are always very inconsistent quality.
Hope this helps.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
SuperKawaiiMama said:
I'd always say when in doubt go with tan. But try to get something as close to your natural skin colour as possible, rather than a really Tanned or Bronze look. If you aren't going the whole way and wearing a garter belt with suspenders, have a look for pantyhose with a rear seam. That will help to compliment the feel of your dress to, and is much more sophisticated than just a plain nylon. Most better department stores carry them, and whatever you do, don't buy supermarket pantyhose - they are always very inconsistent quality.
Hope this helps.

pantyhose from the supermarket?:eek:
:shudder:

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
SuperKawaiiMama said:
Hope this helps.

Thank you! It does. I really appreciate it.
Sarah

Emer

One of the Regulars
That half moon style is very different! It almost looks very odd, but then when you see it after a bit it starts to look kind of pretty. [huh]

My "vintage" nails, so to speak, are just rounded tips with my signature color Chick Flick Cherry on them. I get the most compliments on them! I do get acrylic nails though because I'm a horrible nail biter and having them done this way allows me to still have pretty nails and hands (my hands look short, fat, and stubby without my nails on). Ick.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
found great new red nail polish!

I am always on the hunt for a fantastic blue-red polish that is very vibrant and doesn't look brown in certain lighting. OPI "all the berry best" is my favorite, but it's a discontinued line :-(

Check out the China Glaze line from Sally Beauty. The color "Salsa" is magnificent and I think it's replaced OPI as my favorite nail polish. It's a little thinner consistency, so it doesn't tend to be as streaky when it's applied. It's easier to get thinner coats, which dry faster. I have artificial nails, so my polish doesn't really chip, but it does wear off the tips pretty frequently, especially from typing. This China Glaze shade seems to wear off less, at least on my fake nails.

Isn't there a separate thread for red nail polish recommendations? I looked and couldn't find it. Maybe I'm imagining things!

Goldfish

A-List Customer
No, I think all polish information was merged in this thread...

Do you know http://nailgal.com ? Maybe you will find your perfect shade there!

I am looking for a very deep wine red with a cool undertone ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy