Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Millinery Singer Sewing Machines (Sweatbands, Binding, Ribbons, ETC)

humanshoes

One Too Many
This is too coincidental, I have been considering learning the cobbler's art as well and been researching it for the past 2 years. I know though that my wife would divorce me if I started another hobby :)

You should check out Sveta Kletina on youtube: Sveta Kletina - YouTube
She also has an online course, that is $1,000 and you get access to all the videos she has listed for 1 year. How To Make Shoes? Watch and Download My Shoemaking Courses ✅ (shoemakingcoursesonline.com)

I'll share some other links when I find them again. You might be tempted to invest in a new boot sewing machine ;)

Seems like those that like making men's hats also have an inclination to do leather work and cobbling!! Good luck and I can't wait to see your shoes/boots.
Thanks for the useful links CWV! Yeah, it seems like anyone that's crazy enough to invest in the tools to make hats is restless by nature and always looking for the next thing to do. It's been no small investment to gear up for shoe making. I need to find cheaper hobbies.

Thanks for the useful links CWV! Yeah, it seems like anyone that's crazy enough to invest in the tools to make hats is restless by nature and always looking for the next thing to do. It's been no small investment to gear up for shoe making. I need to find cheaper hobbies.
At one point I considered becoming a shoe repair guy as I looked to simplify my life but what stopped me was what I discovered when I learned bicycle mechanics to repair my own bikes. Neighbours would bring me their abused bikes that had never seen a lick of maintenance and ask me to make them work. I hated working on their abused pieces of crap bikes and stopped doing it. I focused solely on building and repairing bikes for ME. Had the thought that folks would bring me their abused leatherware and expect me to fix it and make it right. But the thought of building a new pair of boots/shoes is highly appealing.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family

Also on Youtube, Lisa Sorrell who is a Western Bootmaker. Link to all her videos: Lisa Sorrell - YouTube

Nice intro/overview video:
(watch carefully and you can see all the vintage machines in her shop)

Video on Curved needle machine:
(Apparently her machine likes The Gibson Brothers song Last Letter Home). I am sure you can relate to finicky machines ;)

humanshoes

One Too Many
Also on Youtube, Lisa Sorrell who is a Western Bootmaker. Link to all her videos: Lisa Sorrell - YouTube

Nice intro/overview video:
(watch carefully and you can see all the vintage machines in her shop)

Video on Curved needle machine:
(Apparently her machine likes The Gibson Brothers song Last Letter Home). I am sure you can relate to finicky machines ;)
I love this lady. I'm driving to Atlanta this weekend to spend some quality time in a working custom shoe shop and purchase some smaller equipment. However, at about 800lbs and, considering the required real estate, I will NOT be bringing home one of these beautiful Landis curved needle sewing machines.

I love this lady. I'm driving to Atlanta this weekend to spend some quality time in a working custom shoe shop and purchase some smaller equipment. However, at about 800lbs and, considering the required real estate, I will NOT be bringing home one of these beautiful Landis curved needle sewing machines.

You may have read the story, Rick. She answered a newspaper ad for someone to do sewing at Griffith-Blucher boot shop, (the oldest continuing operating cowboy boot shop) owned by boot maker Dennis Griffith. She started out sewing tops for them and learning from there. $10K is the base price for a pair of her boots, now.

humanshoes

One Too Many
You may have read the story, Rick. She answered a newspaper ad for someone to do sewing at Griffith-Blucher boot shop, (the oldest continuing operating cowboy boot shop) owned by boot maker Dennis Griffith. She started out sewing tops for them and learning from there. $10K is the base price for a pair of her boots, now.
She definitely makes beautiful boots, but......10K??!! Holy crap!

humanshoes

One Too Many
She definitely makes beautiful boots, but......10K??!! Holy crap!

Debby L

New in Town
Hi All,

Looking to purchase this particular Pribil sweatband sewing machine (model p-44).
Anyone who can provide any information about where can I get such a machine, I will be very appreciated.

Thanks a lot ,
Debby

Attachments

• 20230320_004918.jpg
    20230320_004918.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49

Asudef

New in Town
Sooo..has anyone been able to figure out how to sew an unreeded sweatband? Is there a way to do it by hand? It doesn't look too complicated given some patience and ingenuity but it looks like the stitch goes in between the felt? I can't seem to see stitching under the headband.

It is not easy and perhaps a curved needle would help but it is similar to sewing in liners. Instead of piercing right through the felt you must put the needle/thread across the felt, tunnelling in effect through the felt. This is an acquired skill so you might want to cheat and just pierce the felt and the sweat. It is painstaking if you wish to use the existing holes in the sweat. I am doing one now, takes forever and a bit. I am using a very small needle. Could it be the stitches on the outside are just very close together and buried into the felt? If the sweat was sewn in by machine there is no way for the stitches not to pierce the felt. I suggest being practical and do what works for you. If you pierce the felt it will be hidden by the crown ribbon and I won't tell if you won't!

Sooo..has anyone been able to figure out how to sew an unreeded sweatband? Is there a way to do it by hand? It doesn't look too complicated given some patience and ingenuity but it looks like the stitch goes in between the felt? I can't seem to see stitching under the headband.

If you have patience, deep pockets, and the skill to figure it out, the Singer 46-100 is what you need for those un-reeded sweatbands. They do not come up for sale often.

Debby L

New in Town
Hi,

I will be happy for your help regarding sewing the sweatbands to the hat.
Till now I was using the p-44 Pribil machine, that was perfect for my work, but soon I will need to find myself a different machine, and get a new one.
As much as I tried finding that model, including a post in this forum, I understood that's it's impossible to get such one in a working condition. (And if you do, I will be super glad to hear!!)

For my understanding, most of the hat manufacturers use a standart arm machine, with a triple feed.
I saw a video of one of the bigger companios that there they sewed the sweatbands with an Adler 669 machine.

I would like please your advice what machine will be the best for me, for sewing those reeded sweatbands.

Thanks in advanced,
Dave

Kapalutch770

New in Town
Hi,

I will be happy for your help regarding sewing the sweatbands to the hat.
Till now I was using the p-44 Pribil machine, that was perfect for my work, but soon I will need to find myself a different machine, and get a new one.
As much as I tried finding that model, including a post in this forum, I understood that's it's impossible to get such one in a working condition. (And if you do, I will be super glad to hear!!)

For my understanding, most of the hat manufacturers use a standart arm machine, with a triple feed.
I saw a video of one of the bigger companios that there they sewed the sweatbands with an Adler 669 machine.

I would like please your advice what machine will be the best for me, for sewing those reeded sweatbands.

Thanks in advanced,
Dave
Hi Dave. Can you send me a photo of the Pribil P44 you own?
Thanks,
Benny

Debby L

New in Town
My understanding was that your P44 had problems, and therefore you needed another one?
No, that machine I was using till now works fine, just I need urgently to get another one, particularly for reeded sweatbands.
I will be grateful for any idea.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko