Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage New Year's

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
It's December (already!?) so I thought I'd start a thread about what will everyone be doing for New Year's Eve/Day. More importantly, what to wear? Did people wear say standard black tie for New Year's celebrations back in the 30s/40s? Was something special worn? Any ideas on what you're going to wear?

Alas, I doubt I'll be at a coctail party. More I'll likely be on a barren stretch of snow-covered beach next to Lake Superior trying to stay warm.....

NH

Geesie

Practically Family
I'll be at a wedding + reception. The wedding is before 6 so I'll be in my black pinstripe suit. The invitations say that the reception is "formal" but I doubt that they mean white tie so I'll be in my shawl-collar dinner jacket (with the pumps and silk scarf I just bought :D ).

Feraud

Bartender
I will continue my New Year's Eve tradition at home with the family. My wife and son will be asleep at midnight so it will be just me watching TCM when the new year arrives.

There is a show happening January 2nd at The Edison Ballroom that I am attending. I'll probably dust off a tux for that.

David V

A-List Customer
My wife and I are going to be dancing to the Teddy Lee Big Band at the Willowbrook Ballroom. She'll be in one of her little black dresses and I'll be in black tie.

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Sort of related:

But as a child it was always my dream to get dolled up all retro-styled (Rita Hayworth, Gene Tierney) and go out on New Years Eve to ring in the new year in a big ornate ballroom, at a party, dancing and chatting the night away to Glenn Miller-ish big band music, where at 11:59:50 the bandleader quieted everyone down and did a countdown the stroke of midnite they played Guy Lombardo's Auld Lang Syne.. *SIIIIIIIIIIIIGH* :rolleyes:

Is that odd?

What do you think?

Given I didn't really know who Gene, Guy, Glenn were back then...

Wonder how I ended up here? :D

Rachael

A-List Customer
There is a 20's themed New Years Eve bash here in Portland that we are planning to attend. My typical New Years consists of board games and snacks with the kids until midnight, then we always go to a brunch/open house the next day, which means mimosas, quiche, and more board games.

benstephens

Practically Family
The last couple of years we have attended big 1930s New Years events. Absolutely fantastic, the men all wore white tie and the women were all in evening dresses.

This year, as a break for the organisers, I have arranged a New Year for 24 of us at this place

www.northfieldshouse.co.uk

We are there for the whole week, with New Year being in the middle. We are having a sit down dinner, and then some dancing and drinking. Will be much more intimate than previous New Years, and hopefully good fun.

Kindest Regards

Ben

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Mr Stephens, that place looks super.

I do hope you have a Cowardesque type within your midst to tickle the ivories.

Don't drive the Riley across the tennis court in a stupor!

benstephens

Practically Family
Yes it is a lovely house. We have a couple of people who can play. There are three grand pianos and one baby grand around the house in all!

Ben

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
dahliaoleander said:
Sort of related:

But as a child it was always my dream to get dolled up all retro-styled (Rita Hayworth, Gene Tierney) and go out on New Years Eve to ring in the new year in a big ornate ballroom, at a party, dancing and chatting the night away to Glenn Miller-ish big band music, where at 11:59:50 the bandleader quieted everyone down and did a countdown the stroke of midnite they played Guy Lombardo's Auld Lang Syne.. *SIIIIIIIIIIIIGH* :rolleyes:

Is that odd?

What do you think?

Given I didn't really know who Gene, Guy, Glenn were back then...

Wonder how I ended up here? :D

Not odd at all! And I'd like to be able to do the same thing - get all dressed up and go listen to a big band orchestra. I'm hoping one of the local ballrooms will do something like that this year, but it says "New Year's Eve event still pending" on their website. :rolleyes:

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Party of 2

B&B at a log cabin sort of accomodation, fireplace, champagne and watching the ball drop on TV. Concern about attire not applicable this year. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR