Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Outerwear: Threads of the Past

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Geez that's a nice condition Terry!!!!!!!!!!!! Even the tags are clean!!!!! Really nice RP. Haven't seen that condition of tags in...... well perhaps ever!! Don't worry man, we all gotta shed some winter/covid weight anyway so you should be comfy in this come late spring or so!!!! I never see these jackets in larger sizes at all. Medium is about the biggest range I see in these. Being 40s jackets they DO run small by modern standards but there has to be some outliers out there. Maybe I need to look harder.

Great find.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
never see these jackets in larger sizes at all. Medium is about the biggest range I see in these. Being 40s jackets they DO run small by modern standards but there has to be some outliers out there. Maybe I need to look harder.

Larger sizes show up. Though this jacket is not my size it is bigger than was presented. I encounter this all the time and often in my favor; larger than presented. I have this same jacket in a 44/46. It is in nicer condition but no collar.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1950 Trojan currently on eBay
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Trojan Sportswear zipper. Stu or Lost Worlds has a Crown spring load
This Tanon zipper pull per Dinnerman is 1940 to modern
ziper View attachment 296315

That Talon is a common slider seen through out the 50s. White jackets were a thing during the 50s. I see them from time to time. I owned a white Appalachian jacket that was dirty white. Not sure I could wear a white leather jacket. The Appalachian was a man's jacket size 44.

Very few Trojan jackets show up. This ladies jackets shows they had a diverse offering.

Trojan had two locations. Here is the other label.

DSC05800.JPG

it is on this ladies Goatskin jacket

DSC05801.JPG

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Inglewood is in Los Angeles- longtime home of the Fabulous Forum and Hollywood Park track. Soon to be home of the new football stadium. The locations were probably the same factory. I had no idea they were a local maker. They might even be named for the USC Trojans.

I didn't know they were local either! Only saw the repro labels on LW and other jackets. And they made them near the Forum!!!!!!!!!!! Los Lakers baby!!!!!!!!!!! The Football stadium is done (Rams/Chargers) but Steve Ballmer, Clippers owner recently bought the Forum and is constructing a new Basketball arena near the Forum in Inglewood for the Clippers.

I was thinking the same as you ---they gotta be named for the USC Trojans..... altho, I doubt many SC grads went into garment making. Still, lotsa SC Fans in LA..... Ya learn somethin new every day!!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
The Albatross brand? How unusual, I have never seen this label. The horsehide does look nice. The Conmar zipper is also unusual, more heavy duty than normally seen. The half-belt back with the attached belt look like the early Sears jackets from late 40s, pre-kidney panel. Those jackets soon lost the half-belt and the heavier kidney panel appeared.

How does the jacket compare to your new Ralphs-Pugh? They are around the same generation.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I love the name! It really captures all of my feelings about this hobby and my collection. In High School, a fellow student acted out the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner in class and the way he played
the Albatross is still in my head 30 some year later.

Off topic some but Iron Maiden has a song "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" that obviously recounts the tale...... But I recall an interesting Live Lead into the song by the Lead Singer at the time (late 80s early 90s)---I don't know if it was Bruce Dickinson or another of their Leads but before they start the song, he says with a sneer, "Here's a perfect example of what NOT to do..........When a Bird.....Shits in yer eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I heard that in High School and I always remember it when I hear that song or a mention of the poem...

Claybertrand

One Too Many

LOVE this one Terry. I'm not much of a cross zip fan and that's mostly the Ralphs Pugh jackets that I see. This is right up my alley though. Short Halfbelt with waist cinches and the clean simple highwayman front with the gauntlet cuffs. Helluva collar!! No nonsense. Great shape too. I have several of these style jackets--true vintage--by various makers. I just can't pass em up when I see em. I'm gonna be looking for one like this. I'd love to find an RP in this style if I can fit in one. Its been freshly added to my Master Grail list. I didn't know they made these but since your research is showing them mainly making Working Man's attire, this would be seem to be something very common. You'd think we'd have seen more of these around age notwithstanding. Interest piqued!!!

Great one. My fave RP of yours!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112