Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Outerwear: Threads of the Past

jeo

One Too Many
@Leigh H I'm fairly certain these are your photos. And I'm sorry, that label is just a steerhide label without the RP name on it.

B4E451B5-00F8-4E80-9C2F-C06AF675D686 copy.jpeg

Here's the back of that jacket.

FC69E536-3F60-4C76-AC8A-B43B10AC09BA copy.jpeg

And here is why I'm certain RP made jackets for MW.

Here's a Top Notch RP jacket. Similar front and identical back.

Ralph__1518642578_59094.jpg
Ralph1__1518642684_81201.jpg
Ralph4__1518642801_81857.jpg

Leigh H

Practically Family
I'm fairly certain they did.

@Leigh H , I believe you own the RP jacket below with both the MW label and the steerhide Top Notch RP label, no? Looks like the liner was replaced on this jacket, so who knows if that MW label was added, but it's a good indication.

View attachment 515100

As discussed previously, California Sportswear also made jackets for MW.

Here’s a very rare MW labeled jacket made by California Sportswear. It’s the classic CSC “surrogates” jacket but with the MW label. Besides the design of the jacket itself, the CSC signature is the double stitch around the pockets, back design and buckle.

View attachment 515101 View attachment 515102

You’re totally right @jeo, it looks like label was added when it was given a new lining and collar by @regius ?

56D96FF4-4349-45D1-B8F7-D883F5A6EB6F.jpeg

899A0223-4681-4378-AB90-0655A3174BDA.jpeg

Thanks for sharing this info!

Last edited:

jeo

One Too Many

semolina_pilchard

One of the Regulars

Kubatu

A-List Customer
I'm listing this jacket later today and I haven't been able to figure out the maker. Size 40 on a cloth tag in the coin pocket, but the lining may be a replacement - basically some sort of satin material instead of the wool or quilted lining I'd expect from a 50s jacket. I keep looking at examples of the usual suspects for vintage cross zips and I've come up empty so far, any suggestions?

WvtXBIP.jpg

KyvjiB4.jpg

jeo

One Too Many
I'm listing this jacket later today and I haven't been able to figure out the maker. Size 40 on a cloth tag in the coin pocket, but the lining may be a replacement - basically some sort of satin material instead of the wool or quilted lining I'd expect from a 50s jacket. I keep looking at examples of the usual suspects for vintage cross zips and I've come up empty so far, any suggestions?

WvtXBIP.jpg

KyvjiB4.jpg

My guess would be Spiegel. Here's one that was posted recently in the finds and deals threads that looks almost identical. Collar shape, back design and belt w/ no holes and buckle with no pin in particular look similar. I don't believe Speigel was a maker so you can likely see this exact jacket makeup with a different label. I know I've seen this back design on many other 50's mc jackets.

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

Last edited:

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Pictures from 1950's "one star" type leather jackets made from various manufacturers*
*Google translation of japanese pictures textes at bottom.

Durable
FL_Durable.JPG

FL_Durable_1.JPG

Alden Crest
FL_Alden Crest.JPG

Buco J-71
FL_Buco J-71.JPG

Californian
FL_Californian.JPG

FL_Californian_1.JPG

Guide Master Wolf & Hercules
FL_Guide Master Wolf.JPG

FL_Guide Master Wolf_1.JPG

Interesting are the picture texts in Japanese which I freely translated with google (from top to bottom) whereby the Japanese are known for their authenticity:

Durable text already translateted in durable thread:

Alden Crest
"50's double riders with the name of a local men's shop. The simple design of 3 zip pockets and 1 flap pocket is attractive."

Buco J-71
"A model that ist probably J-71 from the design. The lining is satin quilted."

Californian
"The first time the chest pocket attached to teh acute angel is characteristic. The studs on the edges of the pockets ar a detail that seems to be from this era."
"Double riders wiht twstars on each shoulder. The taste and teh atmosphere of this plus parts match".

Guide Master Wolf
"A double type with a large impact that effectively uses black such as the collar and pockets edges on a white base."

Hercules
"Sears private brand Hercules motorcycle jacket. 2-tone specifications popular in the vintage market".

Guide Master Wolf
"From the Label, it seems to be a model from the late 50's to the early 60's. Rhombus chain zipper on left chest. The cut on the back is stylish."

more to follow...

Last edited:

58panheadfan

One Too Many
More 1950's "one star" types:
*Google translation of japanese pictures textes at bottom.

Unknown & Hercules
FL_Hercules.JPG

Indian Sportswear
FL_Indian Sportswear.JPG

Kit Karson
FL_Kit Karson.JPG

FL_Kit Karson_1.JPG

FL_Kit Karson_2.JPG

Schott
FL_Schott.JPG

Sierra & M. Bogen and Sons
FL_Sierra.JPG

Sportclad
FL_Sportclad.JPG

Unknown & Nelco (not Welco as stated in the japanese magazine)
FL_Welco.JPG

Winward
FL_Winward.JPG

Google Translation from japanese picture textes:

Unknown
"Double riders with white belt, lower collar, epaultets etc. on a black base. The heavy zipper is a military type. Kidney design on the lower back."

Hercules
"3 zip double riders. The two-tone piping is a detail unique to Hercules and the two-star, belt and other designs are typical of the 50's."

Indian Sportswear
"A riders jacket with custom studs to the one-star specifation. A buffalo check pattern is used for the lining and the back is made of a single piece of leather."

Kit Karson
"Gray leather is used only for the collar, epaulettes and pocket parts. The combination of chic colors that you don't often see, is very fresh."
"All zipper pockets are rhombic chains. Epaulets with hidden studs and lined with red wool fabric."
"Gray leather is used only for the epaulets and pocket openings. The combination of chic colors that you don't often see is very fresh."
"Kit Karson with a charming character drawn on the name. A two-tone color scheme that is often seen in this brand, the epaulettes are equipped with three stars."

Schott
"Perfecto model with black tag. The predecessor model of the Perfecto 618 born in the 1960's."

Sierra
"Double riders with a slighlty larger collar. A zip map pocket is provided on the left side of the back and the waist belt is cut at the side.

M. Bogen and Sons
"One star double riders with silver satin quilted lining. The waist belt can be adjusted with a dot button."

Sportclad
"Sportclad is J.C. Penny's sportswear brand. The mainstream of 50's riders such as sleeve zippers and 3 zips and 1 flap."

Unknown
"A two-tone W riders with black upper collar, epaulettes and white leather belt. Rhombus chain zipper is used."

Nelco
"A double riders in a two-tone design with 3 zippers and Gold Medal name pocket flaps that switch to white leather."

Winward
"Winward double riders designed by Montgomery Ward in the late 1950's. The epaulet has marks where two stars have been removed."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24