Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Phonebooks

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone know what 1940s phonebooks looked like (pics?)? I am in a production of On The Town right now, and we can't find info on it.

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
Who are you in Our Town? I was in that play once!

http://www.oldtelephonebooks.com/pbcoll.html

ktn_phone_book.jpg

exitPageRedirect.jpg

1940_Berlin_Phonebook_Bra_1.jpg

a20792b129acdae4f07cee_m.jpg

I don't know if any of this helps, but this is what I found.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
That is fantastic. I am mostly crew on this production (on the fly rail,) but I am the Miss Turnstiles Announcer, because the directors forgot to cast it till a week before the show.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Most Bell System directories used the same general cover design -- an image of the "Spirit Of Communication".

2713172978_2335e06992.jpg

Big urban directories might feature a fancier cover -- I have a copy of the 1944 Manhattan Yellow Pages with an elegant full-color painting of a Liberty ship on the front between bright red borders -- but most run-of-the-mill Bell System books used the above cover from the early thirties to the early fifties. Independent phone companies could use any design they wanted, but most of these tended to be print-heavy with ads and such on the front instead of elaborate artwork.

Weston

A-List Customer
I have my grandmothers, which looks very similar to Lizzie's, except it had a chipboard binder that surrounded it with some 40's typography reading "Telephone Book" on it. As the new ones were issued, you simply put it into the binder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21