Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage pics of african americans

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
Really? I dont see it that way at all. I think its a beautiful shot. Hes quite handsome. Perhaps he had the option to choose.

LD

I can't tell if he's handsome or not because I can't really see much of him. I wish you could see more of his face like the photo of the man above your grandmother.

He may very well have had the option to choose (I know we always had a few poses to choose from). That's why I wondered if they took everyone's photo in profile like that. I do like the way they laid out the entire page. That was nice and your grandmothers photo was pretty. Did your grandmother like that photo of herself? Did it look like her? I know I never liked my yearbook photos.lol I never thought they looked like me but then again maybe they did and I just thought I should look better. lol

MisterGrey

Practically Family
The profile shot made me wonder if perhaps he had a scar or some sort of disfiguring mark on the side of his face, and requested that it be taken in such a way so as to appear average.

What's really interesting to me is that there doesn't seem to be much change in the appearance of the men in these photos and your average African American man today. With many old photos, the average facial features for Caucasians have changed progressively over time; looking at photos of the average man now vs. the average man 50-60 years ago, there's a significant difference.

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
V V Two people seemed to love ;) V V

Grannysayslate70s.jpg

LD
so whats happening here?

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
NicknNora said:
That is a curious profile shot. I've never seen one like that in a yearbook. I wonder if the photographer took everyone's photo like that? It's too close to mug shots for my liking.:(

I actually have seen this done before, for exactly the reason someone else mention, a physical mark on the other side of the face. I had a girl in my family (1900-1920, approx)that was born with a drooping left side of the face, in all formal portraits she's photographed as a right profile. I've also seen evidence of another girl who had a large mole/birthmark on one side of her face, where her formal pictures were all taken from the other side.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
MoxieGrl said:
I actually have seen this done before, for exactly the reason someone else mention, a physical mark on the other side of the face. I had a girl in my family (1900-1920, approx)that was born with a drooping left side of the face, in all formal portraits she's photographed as a right profile. I've also seen evidence of another girl who had a large mole/birthmark on one side of her face, where her formal pictures were all taken from the other side.

That makes sense. Thanks, MoxieGrl

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This old photo was taken by my great uncle in June, 1928. I have no idea who this woman is or what her relationship/significance to our family was. The farm in the background is the old place where my great uncle grew up in the late 1890's and early 1900's.

Whatever her relationship was it must have been special, as her picture has been in the family picture book for the past 80 years. While not glamorous like so many of the other photos posted, I do believe it illustrates what was every-day attire in this part of the country.

I do wish I knew who she was and what significance she was to the family ...

1928_unkown_woman.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Could she have been a relative? Is there a way to check with your local town records?
Her picture looks like some I posted of the women in my family here.

LD

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
Could she have been a relative? Is there a way to check with your local town records?
Her picture looks like some I posted of the women in my family here.

LD

I guess it is possible she is related, but I've never seen anything in census records, etc. to indicate this as a possibility. Whatever the case, she must have meant something to my great uncle as he kept her picture all those years.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Singer Ivie Anderson:

Ivie-Anderson-CR.jpg

I saw her first in A Day at the Races - Her voice was spectacular! Then I did some biography hunting, and realized she was actually quite interesting. I think shes very pretty, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner