Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Vintage" Plane Ride

Gene

Practically Family
Got to fly in this bad boy today, Waco YMF-5. It's one of the company's reproduction planes they make for commercial use. Surprisingly smooth ride on a clear, warm day!

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

Anyone else flown in an open-air cockpit? It's pretty amazing!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I once won a ride with the Red Baron Squadron in a charity auction. They flew old Stearmans. Man was that fun.

Corky

Practically Family
I was lucky enough to sit at the controls of a Ford Tri-Motor in the skies above Southern California.

One of the best days of my life.

That is a beautiful plane! I took my family on a B-17 - the "Aluminum Overcast" in 2009. We took a 45 minute flight in the summer and it was one of the greatest days of my life! I have tons of pics, so if anyone cares to see some, I'll link to them or post a few. Nothing more exciting (and I think safe) than a rebuilt plane of the early 20th century - they knew how to make 'em back then :)
Thanks for posting - what jacket (A2) are you wearing?

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
How fun that must have been!

I think I'd be too much of a scared wimp to fly in an open cockpit plane, though. Better to live vicariously through others' experiences. :)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Ground Above Us

How fun that must have been!

I think I'd be too much of a scared wimp to fly in an open cockpit plane, though. Better to live vicariously through others' experiences. :)

Oh you are missing one of the greatest adventures of your life. There is nothing like the sensation of looking up, and seeing the ground, with nothing between you and the ground but your harness! Plus, there is nothing like the sound of a tube and fabric biplane on touch down.

BigFitz

Practically Family
I flew in a Waco based at First Flight airport in North Carolina for a 30 minute ride along the coast. If the odds are ever in my favor that I come into a large amount of cash, I will have me a Waco! Ahh, pipe dreams.

But I may someday be able to get a cub and fly with the door open...
Cub2.jpg

Last edited:

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Outstanding for you! I had the chance to get some Waco time but never did now I kick myself in the 4th point of contact.

I have some vintage time myself:

just under an hour of right seat time on the Collings Foundation B-24

Photo just after landing at KMPV
scaled.php

And 40 minutes right seat time in their B-17.

Shot of KMPV from the right seat:

scaled.php

nose art:

dscf1474c.jpg

and

kyboots

Practically Family
OMG I can't believe that you posted the J3 Cub. That is identical to the one my father flew when I was younger. My dad was a barn Stormer who flew in the 40s by seat of his pants. He had 1937 J3 Cub that looked identical to the one above. The only tech was an oil gauge in front plus a stick for the fuel. The door dropped down on the side and it was steered by a stick. It took off and landed a 35 miles an hour. I went up with him more than I can remember and was never frightened. He always told me "it had a 10-1 gliding ratio" so if the engine stopped at 1000 feet we could glide for 10,000 more.Most anyone could fly it; the only problem was the landing. We sold the Cub when my father died in 1996, what a mistake. I wish I had it to this day. Not long after I was at a reception at the Boeing Museum in Seattle looked up and saw one. I am not sure what the picture is exactly but even the lightening bolt was identical. Thanks..John

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
That is a beautiful plane! I took my family on a B-17 - the "Aluminum Overcast" in 2009. We took a 45 minute flight in the summer and it was one of the greatest days of my life! I have tons of pics, so if anyone cares to see some, I'll link to them or post a few. Nothing more exciting (and I think safe) than a rebuilt plane of the early 20th century - they knew how to make 'em back then :)
Ah! I'm pretty sure I got to walk through her at the airshow one year. Did anybody get to stand up in the Dorsal turret?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Amazing they are still making a 1930s design biplane. How does it pass the latest regulations for construction, safety etc?

It makes me think of the planes that could be built. Some early aviation companies built planes with surprisingly primitive facilities. The English firm Airspeed started in a corner of a bus garage. They built planes up to a 10 passenger job for feeder airlines, built to take off from grass fields. Incidentally if you like vintage aircraft you should read Slide Rule, the autobiography of Airspeed's founder. The book came out in 1954 and covers his career from the twenties to the fifties. It was published in the US as R101.

Gene

Practically Family
Amazing they are still making a 1930s design biplane. How does it pass the latest regulations for construction, safety etc?

Forgive the expression, but with "flying colors." The new Wacos have state-of-the-art (well not really, but extremely safe) powerplants and all are built to exceed FAA regulations

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred