Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Polo Shirts

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for clearing that up and for restoring the old spearpoint thread. The restoration of the old thread was important since the arguments about the genesis of the Luxire vintage shirt no longer had the relevant arguments in them. If those are back in place at least readers will be free to make their own minds up about the genesis of the Luxire vintage style shirt (for which I, for one, will always credit Qirrel).

Nathan - With regards to future Luxire shirts as commissioned by us, I assume there is no problems with us posting them on the regular threads about spearpoint collar shirts?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Any regular member can post whatever they like. If it becomes too commercialized, we will judiciously edit as necessary.

Edward

Bartender
Fred Perry is wonderful.

I don't as of yet own any FPs, but while I generally don't much care for logos, I do love those. There's something about the design that is so well executed, from the contrast colour around the collar to the laurel wreath logo that is just so perfect. Absolute design classic.

If it has not pocket, yes. If it does, it's a golf shirt. Nit-picking, I know, but that's what it was originally. Golf shirts have pockets to keep your score card and pencil in. No need for pockets in polo.

Interesting, I've never heard it put like that, but it makes sense. Though I thought a "polo" shirt as we know it actually originated as a tennis shirt... with Perry himself.

5240529397_4ce6208930_b.jpg

Didn't read this earlier. Here it is.

Sharp! Might those qualify as Oxford bags? Hard to tell at that angle...

ohmygoodnessgraciousme, THIS IS IT!! This looks so close to like what I've seen of celebrity pics wearing a polo in the 30s (or 40s)- WOW! It comes in 23 colours...
http://www.johnsmedley.com/uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=isis+

Nice! Woefully out of my comfort zone price-wise, though.

How cool is the DOW?

The bad guys always had the best threads. ;)

These put me in mind of shirts currently offered by Freddie's of Pinewood -

saltandpeppersportslarge_1%40%40fes_width%5e360.jpg

Several variations. I have three myself in different colours. Lovely things to wear. I wear them over an undershirt, neat fitting, when I go out jiving.

this one is my fave. exactly the sort of colour no one would dream of making today. like the ribbed texture too.

Funny how brown tones just seemed to disappear, isn't it? Even though there's a certain beige tone that The Gap, and others, have brought back into circulation, you don't see many browns so much these days, not in the same way as vintage stuff seems to suggest it was around back when.

A few things to clear up-- I didn't know the Spear Point thread was edited. It's now back the way it was. As for the Luxire thread, the whole thread is essentially an unpaid Affiliate Thread. Affiliate threads cost $375/month, which we (and our existing Sponsoring Affiliates) feel is an extremely reasonable price for such exposure. We're using the funds from our Affiliates to pay our server bills, which can be quite high, as the Lounge often provides in excess of 2 million pageviews a month. When you consider the cost of advertising elsewhere, be it on the web, or in print, it's an absolute bargain. Personally, I have absolutely no beef with Luxire or Ashish. I really want to do business with him, but we can't give him something for nothing.

Absolutely, you've got to be fair to those who are paying.

Spearpoint

New In Town
Excellent work here by Two Boots, Rudie and good decision by Nathan.

Not trying to take credit, but I wrote to Luxire asking for their view and then wrote to Nathan copying parts of the reply with my opinion.

My respect for Luxire as a business has gone up due to this interaction and my faith in this forum has been restored due to the excellent action from Nathan.

I would love to see Luxire as a paying member. They make some good stuff and this is the right place to showcase those.
From what I could understand, the 2 parties could not agree on a price. Hope they do soon.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I am happy to hear that the editing did not reflect the site owners' attitudes and intentions. It's nice to have the spear point collar back in complete form.

As a Lounger I regret that the Luxire thread isn't available anymore, but Nathan's reasons are fair enough.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
tumblr_mr5mz7Zbf21qd2jjto1_500.jpg

Caption says: Harry Langdon on his arrival to Australia in 1935

Apparently he is wearing a polo shirt with tie (he was a comedian, so is this supposed to be funny looking). It's the even more sporty version of a Polo with loops instead of buttonholes...The sportcoat with the double breastpockets is cool too.

Edward

Bartender
I got a pattern out of 1933 cpg (13th Ed), for what they call a polo shirt. And it looks nothing like any of these!

Pics?

This is a (n admittedly rubbish selfy) photo of one of my Freddies' shirts:

20130725_223038_zpsaf61e345.jpg

Not quite the same as TT's above (which on second look appears to be more of a 'V' neck, but close...

Flat Foot Floey

I got a pattern out of 1933 cpg (13th Ed), for what they call a polo shirt. And it looks nothing like any of these!

I don't get it. So the difference from a short sleeved shirt with short "tunic" placket and the "polo" shirts shown in this thread is... (?) it's not made from knitted material (Piqué or jersey).
What else? Typically the "tails" are a bit longer in the back than in the front. Looks like that in your draft too. The lenght of the sleeves varies. Sometimes they have a ribbed band but not always.

Ok, I guess 1920s-30s where some transistional time for sportswear and the differences of golf, tennis and "polo" shirts changed over time.

Well, the rest in this thread are hip length, this one is around your knees. It's basically just a normal shirt with trimmer body - though not nearly so trim as the majority in this thread - and short sleeves.

I'm not saying this is a "true" polo shirt, just that the use of the term must have changed significantly over time. I would say that the draft shows what people may have been wearing to play polo in the early 30s. I would guess that as sportswear became more commonly seen/popular the design remained similar but became more suited to leisure than sports.

I guess if one were to make this one up it would resemble most the Aertex one hbk posted, but longer and bigger in the body.

Flat Foot Floey

madelios1934012.jpg

My french is pretty bad but I just noticed in the description they made a difference between "Chemise Lacoste" and "Chemise Sport". The Lacoste on the left has a knitted collar...

PS: Oh, up to the knees is long.. Yes, more like a normal euro dress shirt then. I would wear both versions.

Last edited:

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I am not sure if this has been addressed, however I believe that a polo shirt has button down collars to avoid the collar flying in the face of the player.

Or is this more an English tradition? Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff