Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Polo Shirts

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I'm waiting for a polo/casual shirt from Luxire. It's the collar from my normal luxire shirt, on a shorter than normal placket, without any buttons - on top of a copy of an old Greek fisherman's shirt with short sleeves, with a straight hem (so it can be worn outside the trousers) and two lower pockets. I'm really hoping it works!!!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here are my Luxire shirts:
yellow-tucked-in_zps37e850ec.jpg

stripes-tucked-in_zps2cd8160a.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
an ex-girlfriend of mine had a men's polo shirt which i'm certain was 20s. it was in a slippery rayon jersey, very finely woven, not much texture, just a small rib.
wish i'd managed to claim it. [huh]

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
Were they even called "polo" shirts then, or were they called "sporting" or "tennis" shirts? The ones that should be made are those with wider collars, more form-fitting knitted sleeves and chest, a longer placket, a patch pocket, and a loop collar. Now that would be a summer shirt.

-Quetzal

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Starting in 1929, the name "Polo shirt" was used to describe a short sleeved knitted pullover shirt, just as the term is used today.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
some nice knitted / ribbed polo shirts from French brand 'Fleur de Bagne'. the cream one would be great for a summer outfit.
they've kind of ruined it for me though by putting the 'FDB' embroidery on the collar.

l-affranchi_zpsgnkb5m9o.jpg

l-affranchi-1_zpslgxwcwmv.jpg

I've got a late 80s-Poloshirt of simple mass-market/good average (Massimo-Dutti) taken over from my father, which looks nice sporty and today, after nearly 30 years, it's absolutely not raddled! It's my favorite. But I have got a simple Lacoste Poloshirt of their "Sport"-line and it seems to be great fine quality. Besides I've got newer Poloshirts of fairly priced trademarks and they seem to be good average quality of A-Ok. Some are of (double) mercerized, other of classic Piqué-cotton, which I prefer definetly.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
White cotton jersey shirt with double breast pockets.
It is a newer shirt (80's or 90's deadstock) that I altered by adding 1930's buttons and reshaping the collar to give it spearpoints.
Makes for a nice summer leisure shirt.

SomHemd.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21