1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Vintage Polo Shirts

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by South, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Fastuni

Fastuni Call Me a Cab

Note also the waistband details of the trousers. Very "rough".

2. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

3. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

Interesting,
    there are also some reasonably accurate period predictions about the increasing popularity of casual clothes in the future,
    in the 1926 issue of vanity fair you posted:
    http://www.vanityfair.com/100-years-of-vanity-fair/october-1926-full-issue#page/106
    Page 96

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  4. Flat Foot Floey

[​IMG]
    Caption says it is from 1933. I like it.

5. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

Here are some ads for early polo shirts. In the 1910s and through most of the 1920s, the term "polo shirt" referred to a long sleeved oxford cloth shirt with an attached button down collar, attached cuffs and generally with a flapped breast pocket.
    [​IMG]

1917 - short sleeved versions were offered, moving towards what we now think of as a polo shirt. These were, however, still made in oxford cloth.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

By 1929, most advertisements for "polo shirts" were for pullover shirts with attached collars in either cotton jersey or knit wool. Most were short sleeved. From c. 1929 onward, the term "polo shirt" had reached basically its current definition.
    [​IMG]

6. Flat Foot Floey

Thank you for the research, Dinerman. I heard about the tennis/polo/golf shirt renaming but it's cool to put some dates on it.

7. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

[​IMG]

8. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

9. Flat Foot Floey

Popover shirts seem to make a small comeback. I have seen several at H&M (both short and long sleeve) and of course RL and J.Crew. The western yoke of the uniqlo shirt isn not my taste but there were certainly some rad leisure shirts in old catalogs.

10. Fastuni

Fastuni Call Me a Cab

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  11. Fastuni

Fastuni Call Me a Cab

12. Edward

Edward Bartender

I rather like the look of that. The UK website shows it in a very nice not-quite-aquamarine green. I can see myself wearing that at my regular jive night. Uniqlo do some interesting bits and pieces from time to time. They've never pushed the vintage or vintage inspired angle that I'm aware of, but they do have that habit of incorporating a bit of the vibe in their designs a lot of the time. I wonder if that's the influence of the vintage repro "culture" being so big in Japan, where their designs are done.

UK Floungers might be interested in checking out this:

[​IMG]

Not the best photo they've used, butg I reently bought two or three of these from Sainsbury's own TU clothing range. As with anything else I've bought from them (quite a few basic casual shirts in the main) over the past few years, mine wash marvellously and are very comfortable to wear. (As good as the likes of my Freddies shirts, which were double the price). Designs are mixed. All have contrast collars and body; on some the collars are plain with patterned bodies, others vice-versa. Some come in tennis-shirt configuration (no pocket), which others have a pocket (usually finished with a very slim top to it that matches the contrast collar). It was the other half who spotted these for me when we were shopping a few weeks ago, as they strongly resembled some being worn by her grandfather in photos of him that date to the middle fifties.

13. SteveAS

SteveAS Practically Family

Hmmm . . . the diagonally oriented upper bit gives it a '70s western feel to me. I wish it had been all horizontally/vertically oriented.

14. Flat Foot Floey

Bought a RL polo shirt with loop collar. I think it looks kinda vintage. There are other version with only one loop on the top. Only problem is finding them between all the modern Poloshirts...
    loop-polo.jpg

[​IMG]

15. Rudie

Rudie Call Me a Cab

How does that guy manage to keep the cap on his head? Super glue?

16. Flat Foot Floey

He just doesn't care about your bourgeois concepts of gravity.

17. SteveAS

SteveAS Practically Family

18. Flat Foot Floey

Looks legit. With knitwear and polo shirts it is often advisable to size down to get the vintage look.

19. Flat Foot Floey

20. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

[​IMG]