Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Print Ties

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
I have my grandfather's print tie. Painted silk brown with a cream oval featuring a buckaroo on a bronc. I love the look of the tie, but it is quite short by today's standard. I wore it at my father's memorial as an homage- I just wish I had my grandpa's tie clasp.

I'd like to wear it more often but a tie ending at mid to upper belly looks silly to me.

Advice, Advise.

All the Best,

CH

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Well, you could wear it with vests, sweaters or double breasted suits/sportcoats and nobody would be the wiser.

Or, you could have the tie lengthened.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Good advice so far. I've got a couple of real short ties that I have to knot high, and with only a single knot, and even then they are above the belt. I was "ribbed" (no pun intended) a couple of times, but then explained that I was wearing a vintage tie, and that it was desinged to be worn short. But when all else fails, wear a jacket, sweater, or vest over it.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
FIT to be TIED

I have sometimes tied some of mine so the tip covers my belt , the loose end inside my shirt military style. Hard to wear a tie clasp near your throat.

ANOTHER issue with swing ties is how the pattern design graphics were placed on the rayon, in other words if tied very long the design may look incorrect since short was how they WERE designed to be tied. Solid Citizen :eusa_doh:

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Sometimes I just don't fit in!

I am going to state the real issue: “If you are going to wear vintage, you will have to accept the fact that it "IS" vintage”. ;)

This is the white elephant in the room here. The tie is not going to conform to the modern "norm" any more than someone who stepped out of a time machine and was to walk down Madison Ave. They will stick out like a sore thumb, if not by their style, but their actions. Same thing with the tie.

The above suggestions are great, but I think you will have to make an adjustment in your perspective, in order to pull it off. Sometimes, it is best to just accept things the way they are.

In comparison, say you find a first generation T.V. It will never pass for a modern plasma. People who see it will either be of one of two camps. One will say; "Oh my how lovely an antique! , the other; Oh my, what the heck is that piece of junk. (Why would you want/use/wear "THAT") :eek:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like it and want to wear it, choose the occasions that you wear it, and wear it with Panache!That is the best advice I can give you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner