Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Raincoats and Trenchcoats.

LadyBaltimore

Familiar Face
Watching "The Big Sleep" with Humphrey Bogart this evening…

Humphrey+Bogart+trench+coat.jpg

main-qimg-26aef33485306fdb4c91bf1602b9680f

TheBigSleep001.jpg

humphrey-bogart-trench-coat.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic contributions, N&C. Are they all yours?

I was surprised to see how old looking the 1972 coat was. How does it compare to earlier despatch riders coats in terms of quality etc?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
yes, great collection of coats N&TC. why is the Bell motor coat fastening a woman's way ?

my dream is to find a 40s despatch coat but in a less stiff fabric. the rubberised stuff is like card.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
they are mostly ones I have sold - only mine in the sense of business stock. That's why I have photos of them! I don't generally have a reason to photograph my own stuff!

TT, one or two of them are pics I lifted off ebay out of reference interest, and that includes the 1972 DR coat, so I can;t really comment on its quality and detailing, but in the pictures it looks pretty indistinguishable from a 40s/50s one.

HBK, I think it is general degeneration that stiffens the rubberized macintosh fabric, I have (and have had) both DR coats and "Riding macs" that are quite soft and flexible. My main gripe with the DR coats is the sheer weight, the huge multiple press studs around the hem certainly don't help here.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Are you sure this is a British coat? I believe that RAF airmen (as opposed to officers) did not have raiincoats in 1957. Could it be from a different Anglophone nation?

hi Alan, yes you are right, my mistake from hurrying, it is Canadian

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Single breasted with peak lapels: that's my idea of a raincoat. But the largest size they stocked was a 40 - not much chance of me finding one in my size!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
If you come across any in my size (I have a 44 inch chest) let me know. I'm always on the lookout for a raincoat.

I'll make a note of that TT!

BTW, a word of useful advice when perusing evilbay - the 1940s British and US military raincoats are cut seriously oversize, as they were designed for wear over not just tunic but a greatcoat if need be. This means they will usually fit from one to two sizes bigger than labelled when wearing normal clothing. You will probably find that a labelled 40 will fit you, and a labelled 42 should definitely fit you. If the sellers measurements are reliable (granted that's usually a big if!) that will be your best guide to the fit.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Yes, that's good advice. I did pick up a single breasted British army raincoat last year on ebay. The chest measurement looked good but the coat didn't have any labels to show the fit-size. It was probably a size 40. As a result, whilst the chest was just about ok, the shoulders were too narrow. I had a similar situation with a duffel coat. One size up would have been ideal. I'm still waiting to find a replacement for the trenchcoat, but i had a slice of luck with the duffel coat: 1940s RN issue in good condition, £45. Certainly a good price, the last comparable duffel coats I've seen were between £85 and £150.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Just curious Mr Types :) Are the catalogues from a collection of yours? I have only ever encountered one old mail order catalogue and that was for the London store, Army and Navy(mid 1930s). Cost me around £45 but gave it as a wedding present to some friends of mine
1931_zpsfc0f2adf.jpg

1933c_zps426ee076.jpg

1927b_zps849ba654.jpg

1957:
1957b_zpsf352f8e1.jpg

1957_zps46b04183.jpg

1953c_zpsbdc4941a.jpg

1943_zps455899c6.jpg

1953_zps952f1a89.jpg

1950c_zpsc3a4f6ba.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads