Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets: Vintage and reproduction . . .

So in this thread, i'd like to see the denim jackets owned by members. Tha is, denim jackets that are either "vintage" or reproductions of specific vintage styles.

I'll start it off with a jacket i recently acquired. Very short as compared to modern, or even vintage reproductions i've encountered. This one is a true waist-length jacket and has a sculpted waist in that it's slightly higher at the back than at the front. I think it's a vintage Wrangler which dates to 1970-'72, but may be a reproduction. Maybe the details i've photographed will give people more knowledgable an idea as to which . . .

3 pocket style. 5 button front. Waist adjuster buttons.

Wrangler1.jpg
Wrangler2.jpg

Wrangler in script on tag above breast pocket and on buttons + snaps (that's a snap-closure breast pocket). Note zig-zag stitching between button holes.

Wrangler4.jpg

Selvedge denim.

Wrangler3.jpg

Detail of stitching around handwarmer pockets. Before about 1968 this stitching would have been more of a "D", sticthed further away from the slash pocket.

Wrangler5.jpg

Detail of script on buttons/snaps.

Wrangler6.jpg

Black label with script "rope" Wrangler. Apparently introduced in late 60s/early 70s. note denim. zig-zag denim introduced 1972, so this earlier.

Wrangler7.jpg

Let's see yours!!

bk

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Nice...when I was a kid we all wore those Wrangler jackets. I still wear Wrangler jeans, the real ones not the ones advertised on tv. For some reason they stopped making the jacket with the zig zag stitching. Last time I saw one in a store was ten years ago in Jackson Wyoming.

Edward

Bartender
I have a Levis jacket (actually wearing it today) which in my limited knowledge I beleive to be a repro of an earlier model from the 50s? It's a Type 1 "Iconic Jacket," in that great deep indigo colour with the pointy pocket flaps. Is that range a genuine reproduction, or is it more of a "fifties inspired" design? I picked it up for GBP16 new with tags on eBay, so either way I did okay with it.

fardin

New in Town
i just wanted to refer to the denim forum on superfuture. you can find there anything you want to know about vintage and repro denim.
http://supertalk.superfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

i guess if it has the pointy pocket flaps it should be the levis typ3 fron the 60s.

kind regards

Edward said:
I have a Levis jacket (actually wearing it today) which in my limited knowledge I beleive to be a repro of an earlier model from the 50s? It's a Type 1 "Iconic Jacket," in that great deep indigo colour with the pointy pocket flaps. Is that range a genuine reproduction, or is it more of a "fifties inspired" design? I picked it up for GBP16 new with tags on eBay, so either way I did okay with it.

One i sold a while back. As can be clearly seen, it was too big for me. Lovely denim it were.

Front. Single pocket and double pleats on each side of the opening.

506XX-1.jpg

Adjustable buckle back.

506XX-2.jpg

Side, displaying just how much this is too big for me. Look at the bunching in the back. Not elegant at all . . .

506XX-3.jpg

506XX-4.jpg

Wheat-sheaf buttons. The back of the buttons are stamped 555.

506XX-5.jpg

506XX-6.jpg

Tag showing red line selvage denim.

506XX-7.jpg

Burnsie

LVC 506XX - 1996 issue

That's me on the right hanging with some horned friends in a 1936 model Levi's repro - the first issue of these had a very inaccurate buckle on the back, but it wore in nicely!
beebopnberthalou.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Bumpin' this baby...

Hey guys... After looking at the RL show during NYC Fashion Week I got to thinking that I really, really, really need some vintage denim jackets to go with my new/old newsboy (thanks Marc!) and was wondering what combos people here have put together.

AND, Baron >> Could you fix the broken photo links, please? Thanks!!

J

john z

As this old thread has been brought to the fore I thought I'd post up my denim jacket of choice. Have had many of these over a span of some 35 yrs odd. My criteria when buying is that the country of origin is the US & that the model pre-dates those with the additional hand-warmer pockets tucked in behind the front pleats. I don't know how old this one is. It was bought a few years ago on eBay as NOS at a very reasonable price. As yet it is still unwashed & is worn with my Japanese repro 1944 model Lee Rider jeans. As much as I like Levis I always had a preference for Lee's & found the fit better.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
An old Lee jacket. Does anyone have an idea as to the date on this one?

I love the way its faded over the years.

At some point ('60s? early '70s?), one of its owners attached part of an old crazy quilt to the back. Some people (myself included) love it, others think it's ugly.

Regardless of the back, this model jacket is very comfortable and with its four large pockets, is very practical.

IMG_4082.jpg

IMG_4085.jpg

IMG_4081.jpg

IMG_4080.jpg

IMG_4079.jpg

9122_128838265908_630485908_2349289_26972_n.jpg

6332_118725245908_630485908_2217334_8299617_n.jpg

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
The only true denim jacket that I own is some terrible late 90s Levi’s engineered thing. But perhaps this would be on topic enough to mention it here?

OrangeCordTypeIII.jpg

An orange corduroy type III, which I think would be late 60s.

Larger Front
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/mdalton87/Clothes/OrangeCordTypeIII1.jpg
Label
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/mdalton87/Clothes/OrangeCordTypeIII1.jpg
Pocket + Interior
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/mdalton87/Clothes/OrangeCordTypeIII4.jpg
Back
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/mdalton87/Clothes/OrangeCordTypeIII5.jpg
Collar + Label
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/mdalton87/Clothes/OrangeCordTypeIII3.jpg

dr greg

One Too Many
Dinerman said:
An old Lee jacket. Does anyone have an idea as to the date on this one?

I love the way its faded over the years.

At some point ('60s? early '70s?), one of its owners attached part of an old crazy quilt to the back. Some people (myself included) love it, others think it's ugly.
I'd imagine that to be 50's at the latest, and I saw something similar on the bay for about $500 recently, I'd get out my quickunpick and restore it to original condition mahself!
BTW Where did the Baron go?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo