Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Shirt-Jac Help

GreyHaas

New in Town
I've had this wool shirt-jac forever and love it, but I'm not too sure on the date and manufacturer as there is no tag. I'm guessing 1930s or 40s? I've never seen another plaid pattern like this one. Its wool with snap-closure front pockets and some sort of lining on the inside where the tag would normally be and also inside the cuffs. Any help would be appreciated!

front.jpg

back.jpg

inside.jpg

pocket.jpg

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Can't help with the date, but...

it looks like the jacket was home made, not a commercial product. The last picture shows the snaps sewn to the jacket material, something my mom did making clothes at home in the 1950's. In the same picture, the double rows of stitching holding the pockets to the body of jacket are somewhat uneven, also reminiscent of mom's work especially when working with heavy material on a treadle Singer sewing machine.

So I'm thinking my mom made it in 1962. :)

GreyHaas

New in Town
Makes sense. Your mom did an excellent job! The craft is very nice on this particular jacket. Enough for me to think it was professionally made!

Inusuit

A-List Customer
And it may have been, I'm just guessing here...

It looks like a nice jacket. When my mom made them for me, ususally out of cotton flannel, she called them "lumber jackets." I have no idea why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav