Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Spade Sole Shoes

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
So, what do you do when you wear out the sole? Send it to the cobbler with instructions to use a time machine and go back to the '40s to get it redone? Or do you have so many by now that you'll never possibly wear them down enough?

Well, any time you have a shoe re-soled, the cobbler takes a piece of sole leather, sews it on, and then trims the extra leather off, correct? Finishes off with edge dressing and it's done.

I would imagine that one could use a cowboy boot sole, such as a lucchese for this job. Cookie has pointed out to me in the past that the spade sole often lives on, in a certain manner, in many styles of cowboy boots. That said, finding a cowboy boot sole large enough to cover the spade sole shouldn't be too difficult.

Sew, cut, edge, and... viola. I may be wrong about this, but it seems to make sense...

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
It must be my birthday because THESE recently arrived in the mail from my good buddy in Australia.

Regal Paddock Boots. NOS. KANGAROO Skin (I really like this skin. Very tough, and the "crinkling" is natural. They will get better with age, I think). Spade Soles. Oh My Gosh!

MANY, MANY THANKS!

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_3097.jpg

IMG_3107.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

And 1 of me wearing them to work today!

IMG_3075.jpg

Yes, I know they're only laced halfway up. I can't stand having to loosen a ton of laces to get my shoes/ boots on. This works best for me.

Qirrel

Practically Family
Yes, I know they're only laced halfway up. I can't stand having to loosen a ton of laces to get my shoes/ boots on. This works best for me.

Get long laces and lace them in a cross lace (too tired to come up with a better formulation). Then they wont have to go out of their holes when you take on and off your boots. In addition the cross lacing is easier to tighten and untighten.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Spade Square

At rear from left:

Stetson Spades c1930s/40s

Crosby Square Coronet Spades c1930s/40s

At front from left:

Winthrop spade spectators c1940s ex Liberty House HNL

City Club Captoe Brogue Spades circa late 1940s (as advertised by Marilyn Monroe)

click on pics for closer views.

flyfishark

Practically Family
Spade Square

At rear from left:

Stetson Spades c1930s/40s

Crosby Square Coronet Spades c1930s/40s

At front from left:

Winthrop spade spectators c1940s ex Liberty House HNL

City Club Captoe Brogue Spades circa late 1940s (as advertised by Marilyn Monroe)

click on pics for closer views.
These are the kind of shoes that cause the "occasion to sin"--envy is still one of the 7 deadly ones and I have a really bad case of it. Absolutely gorgeous shoes, Cookie!!!

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
This thread's been dead for a MONTH now! My buddy, Flyfishark just posted some vintage Foot Joy golf shoes (in the shoes thread), so here's my go at it.

Foot Joy Spade Sole Lizard & Pebble Grain Calf Spectator Golf shoes.

This is my 3rd pair of vintage Foot Joy exotics. Love 'em. By the way, I'm a big fan of pebble grain for the white sections of traditional Spectators. Of course suede is more luxurious, but I've got 3 young stains & am a chronic stainer!

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
These are pretty much a "holy grail" of shoes for me. 2 problems exist, however...

1) They are too small, 8C, where I would need at least 8D

2) They are so dried out that there's no way to bring them back. The tongue of the left shoe actually disintegrated in my hand. The condition, wear-wise, is very good, but most of the moisture has left them & they are as brittle as can be. I've been conditioning them for 3 weeks now, and they have stopped deteriorating. However, they'll never be safely wearable.

I hope to one day have this exact pair custom made.

MONSTER SPADES by Stoebener (I call them "Monsters" because I've never seen a topsole so wide. At its peak, the spade extends 5/8 of an inch from the uppers. They are a whopping 5 inches wide).

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The top of those spades is identical in design to my Crosby Square spades down to the stitching. I would supect they were made in the same factory to a different width spec.

IMG_0685.jpg

Stunning!

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I believe it's in the genes. Just as the Baron has this uncanny ability to sniff out awesome vintage suits. Some do it with suits, some do it with shoes, others (like me) don't do it at all. Beats me... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails