Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Spectator Shoes

Mario

I'll Lock Up
They sold for $56, but they were narrow - tagged 10.5AA.

$(KGrHqZ,!jgE2urCwJweBN5g,j7nF!~~_12.JPG

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
That is the original and reduced sticker price from the 50s/60s.

Really, could've fooled me. Looks like a the price mark from just about any thrift shop I've ever seen (except Goodwill, who use Roman numerals). Was marking the price on the sole common? None of the deadstock shoes I own have ever been marked like that.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Really, could've fooled me. Looks like a the price mark from just about any thrift shop I've ever seen (except Goodwill, who use Roman numerals). Was marking the price on the sole common? None of the deadstock shoes I own have ever been marked like that.

The price and font are very reminscent of vintage especially the use of small cent numbers aka not rounded down to whole fractions. IMHO of course.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
My FIRST pair of Spectator shoes that fit me well. I had a string of bad luck with sizing issues, but I think I dun good here...

Foot Joy mid to late 1930's custom-made Spectators.

I dated them to mid 1930's by examining a ton of old Foot Joy shoe ads I saved. The sole shape puts them somewhere between 1931 & 1936, i think. The earlier ads focus more on heavier spades, and the later ones have a different shape as well. I also used my cobbler, who told me he handled a couple of similar shaped pairs when he first started in the shoe business (around 1934).

I had also not seen a pair of hand numbered and signed pair of Foot Joys until now, thus my "custom" label.

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

I wish to HELL this guy had heard of shoe horns, as that seems to be the only condition issue... but after 75 years, it's hard to be overly choosy.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
My FIRST pair of Spectator shoes that fit me well. I had a string of bad luck with sizing issues, but I think I dun good here...

I dated them to mid 1930's by examining a ton of old Foot Joy shoe ads I saved. The sole shape puts them somewhere between 1931 & 1936, i think. The earlier ads focus more on heavier spades, and the later ones have a different shape as well. I also used my cobbler, who told me he handled a couple of similar shaped pairs when he first started in the shoe business (around 1934).

I had also not seen a pair of hand numbered and signed pair of Foot Joys until now, thus my "custom" label.

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

I wish to HELL this guy had heard of shoe horns, as that seems to be the only condition issue... but after 75 years, it's hard to be overly choosy.

Pity FootJoy went out of business a couple of years ago but I bet you could still get that name out of the company records. Great shoes BTW! Now for the buck bag.

flyfishark

Practically Family
Split from the larger "Spectator Shoes" thread. Vintage pairs go here.

I copied my post from the "other" spectator thread:

How the hell do you guys make that link pop up? I'm a luddite, so no need to throw that at me. Anyway, check out these specs on eBay. I know they're expensive, but if they were my size I buy them right now. Item number (remember, I don't know how to do the "pop-up thingy") is 260809785278

cookie

I'll Lock Up

IMG_2415.jpg

Compare and contrast the last for the 1930s date conclusion:

AuctionsMay2007134.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran