Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Spectator Shoes

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
THANKS for sharing, my friend! I really enjoy Eduard Meier shoes. Between them, Dinkelacker & Ludweig Reiter, Germany has some pretty nice makers.

Sir, I have followed your posts on this forum with interest. Your knowledge and appreciation of fine shoes is recognized. Glad that you enjoy my first spectators. Today when wearing them they drew attention, eye glances, but no comments.

Eric -

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have been following this thread with interest the past 2 years. I see the shoes and enjoy how they create a visual interest. Unique colors, styles and quite different than the shoes I see on the streets. The below pic is not so vintage, but wanted to share my 1st pair of spectators. They are made by Edward Meier. The shoes are in blue and cream. I have not had spectators before and am going to use these to see if I need to expand my shoe closet.

IMG_4175-M.jpg

Apologies for these not being vintage, but I am checking the style out before investing in a high quality vintage pair. Thanks again for posting folks, the shoes showcased on this thread have been very styling.

Best, Eric -

Wow, nice Spectators to say the least! I along with a number of fellow loungers seem to always drool over a proper pair of spectators! The picture you share here, reminds me of a Style Magazine Advertisement for refined mens clothing!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Indeed those are totally great looking shoes...I attempted to find a source on line, but geez, I speak NO German....drats!

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Italian makers are VERY strongly influenced by US vintage styles. If you look, you'll see everything from Specs (nice ones, LMH) in many different variations to Modern Gunboats (norvegese & bentivegna stitch) to straight up spade soles.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Italian makers are VERY strongly influenced by US vintage styles. If you look, you'll see everything from Specs (nice ones, LMH) in many different variations to Modern Gunboats (norvegese & bentivegna stitch) to straight up spade soles.

I was hopeful to pick up a pair that had a real similar look made from Barker, their black line.....but the seller folded up on the listing and went, "pooof" ! So, these shoes are so very similar in style and looks, I had to capture them to own, no matter what else may be. I am sure as they are worn a bit, I will eventually take them to my cobbler and do some major surgery on them, as planned, make a entire sole and pull in the so called "waist" of the shoe just a tad bit, make some spade soles for them, new vintage patterned heels and have a excellent shoe when finished! They have some good soles and heels on the now, but, that will only last a short while and then, I will strike! STRIKE I say! The trip to making these even more of my taste, like being hit by a bolt of lightning....the leather for the soles will be fun to shape, I am going to have the sole be a bit thicker than what is on the shoes now.....but not brogue/gunboat thick, going to use a two toned affect even in the soles, combined two finish of leather into one long sole...a pure black leather with a blonde color leather, glued and stitched so that it will be nice and strong, the effect will be when you look at the sole, it will be blonde color leather until past the ball of the foot, the it will "V" into black shiny leather that goes right under the heel. Cha...CHING!

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I was hopeful to pick up a pair that had a real similar look made from Barker, their black line.....but the seller folded up on the listing and went, "pooof" ! So, these shoes are so very similar in style and looks, I had to capture them to own, no matter what else may be. I am sure as they are worn a bit, I will eventually take them to my cobbler and do some major surgery on them, as planned, make a entire sole and pull in the so called "waist" of the shoe just a tad bit, make some spade soles for them, new vintage patterned heels and have a excellent shoe when finished! They have some good soles and heels on the now, but, that will only last a short while and then, I will strike! STRIKE I say! The trip to making these even more of my taste, like being hit by a bolt of lightning....the leather for the soles will be fun to shape, I am going to have the sole be a bit thicker than what is on the shoes now.....but not brogue/gunboat thick, going to use a two toned affect even in the soles, combined two finish of leather into one long sole...a pure black leather with a blonde color leather, glued and stitched so that it will be nice and strong, the effect will be when you look at the sole, it will be blonde color leather until past the ball of the foot, the it will "V" into black shiny leather that goes right under the heel. Cha...CHING!

fascinating! I am interested to see how a cobbler would change the sole shape. If they are a welted shoe, the welt lays on top of the top sole layer and cannot be cut (for a narrower waist) or extended (for the spade). To remove the welt would mean taking the entire shoe apart and relasting it. I am most interested because I have a couple of pairs I would like "Spadified" if possible. I LOVE your posts, LMH, my friend. Thought provoking and a pleasure to read.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Thanks, from what I have discussed with my cobbler, you can get away with "pulling" a shoe in by just a hair, not really as much as a normal spade sole would be, but in the way the welt is, you can move it just slightly. Leather gives...not too much but some. The same thing happens when you have a pair of shoes "stretched" the right way by a cobbler. I am sure (not 100 percent but sure enough) these italian shoes I am getting now, will be the perfect shoe to do this procedure on. Now mind you, I myself get the fun of actually shaping the new soles for the spade sole shape. The "point" of the spade part of the sole itself is going to be cut in a manner that will be as sharp as I can get it to be, maybe pushing it out a bit more than normal to exaggerate the shape of the spade itself. OH yes, to play and have some nice interesting results.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
There isn't a thread for shoes with tarsal straps, so I thought i should post this here:

bigfella3_zps39d5c5a3.jpg

It is from a tapdance scene in a 1930s Paul Robeson film 'The Big Fella'.

Burma Schave

One of the Regulars
Man, these are the craziest vintage spectator oxfords I ever did see. Italian, pretty darn old. A slip-on with fake laces. Reverse calf, patent leather, and what appears to be elastic cotton on the sides.

Sp2_zps2c24fa8f.jpg

Sp1_zps1c523d08.jpg

Sp3_zps8cde6590.jpg

Sp4_zps5a2d1313.jpg

Sp5_zps1ac4fe67.jpg

Last edited:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Pirelli tyres? No Pirelli heels! RM Williams meets formal wear Italian spectator meets Cleverley Winston Churchill shoes.

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Man, these are the craziest vintage spectator oxfords I ever did see. Italian, pretty darn old. A slip-on with fake laces. Reverse calf, patent leather, and what appears to be elastic cotton on the sides.

Sp2_zps2c24fa8f.jpg

Sp1_zps1c523d08.jpg

Sp3_zps8cde6590.jpg

Sp4_zps5a2d1313.jpg

Sp5_zps1ac4fe67.jpg

GREAT share! Ultra cool find. Are they yours, and do they fit you? Would love to see a pic on your feet!

Also, to echo cookie's sentiments, very cool to see yet another tire/ rubber company that got into the shoe biz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy