Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage sportswear?

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Anyone else into the "woollen workout"?

I realise that very old sporting apparel was merely everday clothing, worn whilst pursuing sporting activities but I've always had a passion for pre 60's sportswear. Anyone else?

Of course, sportswear should be confined to the field and who can reasonably argue against the fact that the collapse of modern society seemed to coincide with the wearing of such garments away from the field of play?

Anyone else cycle in tweed? Workout in wool? Run about in leather?

When, and why, did physical jerks become synonymous with Purple and Nylon?

Show me your old rugger boots, better still show me you running around a field in them!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
"As a matter of fact, she's very fond of Cricket"

Well...Mike1973 cycles in Tweed, plus fours, of course- you must see his cycling thread- somewhere...

There are a few hill walkers here, who do Tweed and wool and everything good.

Sounds like you'll do well here.

I must show you a late teens magazine ad for sporting clothing- the cycling suits are great.

You must remind me.

B
T

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Good one Mr. Fletch

Mr. Tank, I have been warned against these "late teens" magazines. Not suitable by any means, emoticon, emoticon.

Whatever sporting activity I have undertaken, from school days onwards, I have sought to alienate myself from the field by the wearing of sporting duds from yesteryear. I have even dabbled with a few pursuits merely to justify the purchase of the regalia.

Pathetic in a kind of self indulgent, disfunctional way.

The lack of sporting prowess remains, the trunks and wardrobes continue to bulge!

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Rugby

I remember a rugby team mate back in the 70's who used to wear his grandfathers rugby shorts for the craic. They came to below his knees lol When he ran, it looked like his feet were moving but no other part of his legs. Bit like Biff in the 'Beano' comic. Made the opposition laugh 'til they saw HOW fast he could run. He was a good player and lapped up all the laughing at this shorts.

Dave

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Different crack Belly old chap!

I used to play rugger at school wearing my father's boots & scrum cap. They neither detracted from, nor improved my performance which was mediocre at best.

I was only allowed one pair of shorts during this period, being told that I would "grow into" the huge, below the knee pair. I did, and on leaving school they had taken on the appearance of faded blue speedos. A lot happens to the body of a young man in five years, which I think is where I came in.......

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
My childhood ski outfits (both alpine and Nordic) were made of wool, as was my first cycling outfit. This would be the early 60's. The ski clothes were by Bogner and the cycling gear was French made, I forget the maker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart