Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Sporting Life?

Doublegun

Practically Family
A newbie here. In fact, I just found this site and have spent far too much time this afternoon reading posts.

Like all of you I have a special place in my heart for days gone by and all that went with them. Of special interest to me is the sporting life of the 30's and 40's when it was socially acceptable to hunt and fish. Men wore ties, jackets and fedora's, carried old side-by-side shotguns made by Parker, LC Smith, Fox or Winchester and hunted behind beautiful English Setters or English Pointers. Spring and Summer afternoons were spent flyfishing with bamboo rods made by Payne, Leonard, Dickerson or Paul Young on rivers in New England, the upper Midwest, West and Pacific Northwest. These were times when the emphasis was on enjoyment of the sport and not on the weight of the game bag or creel. This I learned from my father and appreciate today, more than ever.

Is there anyone else out there who carries their passion for "vintage" to the field?

"Doublegun"

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Doublegun said:
Men wore ties, jackets and fedora's, carried old side-by-side shotguns made by Parker, LC Smith, Fox or Winchester and hunted behind beautiful English Setters or English Pointers.
Hunting_mystery_1_500RB.jpg

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Welcome, brother Sport!

Doublegun said:
A newbie here. In fact, I just found this site and have spent far too much time this afternoon reading posts....Is there anyone else out there who carries their passion for "vintage" to the field?

"Doublegun"

Dear Doublegun,
Well, there's at least one: I hunt upland birds here in Massachusetts in 1920s clothing and kit...all of it (with the exception of my usual knit green tie, shooting glasses, dog whistle, and my watch) reproduction items: filson original game vest; fedora or WWI military surplus campaign hat (with the blaze orange, which I detest, as a band; only one DNR man has made a fuss: the law is written "blaze orange cap or hat"); Bean boots; tattersall Pendleton woolen shirt or WWI military surplus pullover shirt; thin leather shooting gloves; and tin cloth trousers. I'm hoping to eventually acquire some WWI military surplus officer's cotton breeches and leather puttees. Usually carry an Ugartechea 28g SxS with DT and Straight stock, but sometimes will carry my Model 1912 (made in July 1913). I shoot over our father and son brace of Red and White Irish setters...a good new-england man!

No pictures: I'm new here too, and have really only been doing this for myself. Come this season...I'll post some.

I have gone gooseing and ducking vintage style as well, but do less of that. Such deer hunting as I do is 1850s style. I have also run several 1930s style Skeet shoots for our local gun club. But you could probably guess that from the Avatar....

My wife is a Michigander, from Oakland Co. (Ortonville)...she also hunts, but not vintage-style :( , although her day-to-day gun is a Parker repro 28g. Her dad, at 85, is a still big Skeet shooter and hunts over his own line of Brittanys.

Welcome to the Lodge...oh, I meant "Lounge" ;) ! Pull up a chair and tell us a bit about your own adventures and kit.

May the red gods smile on you,
"Skeet"

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Doublegun said:
Oh great. Another source of distraction from work. Thanks!
Sadly, Doublegun, I don't think your work will suffer from that site...at least not right now. I joined about a month ago: it's moribund (although it does seem to be the place where we'd all show up, sooner or later). The listowner is another FL member, and has just had a baby. He was kind enough to reply to my "is anybody there?" post to explain matters.

Hopefully things will pick up....

Cheers,
"Skeet"

Doublegun

Practically Family
Skeet,

Just got back from Boston early this morning. The first time I had been back to the city since moving to Michigan 20-years ago. I was amazed at how the "big dig" had effected the landscape and traffic. Much more enjoyable. My wife and I live in Oakland County, not too far from Birmingham.

I saw the pictures of your Red and White setter on the other board. Beautiful dog. I have to confess that I had no idea anyone was still breeding those dogs. Looks exactly like dogs painted by Osthause back in the 1880's.

Ever get out for grouse in western MA or souuthern VT? I did not do any hunting when I was living in the Back Bay. My efforts "afield" were directed at the flocks of post-college young women living in town. Ah, those were the days.... Lots of mounts but not the type one would hang over the fireplace. ;-)

Cheers,

Dpoublegun

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Doublegun said:
Skeet,

Just got back from Boston early this morning....I saw the pictures of your Red and White setter on the other board. Beautiful dog. I have to confess that I had no idea anyone was still breeding those dogs. Looks exactly like dogs painted by Osthause back in the 1880's. Ever get out for grouse in western MA or souuthern VT?

Dear Doublegun, this will have to be quick...I'm headed out to Church for Tenebrae, which I'm singing. I guess if this is the first time in 20 years, its doubly unfortunate you didn't find the FL....a week ago. We'll have to hope another opportunity presents itself. More likely in MI: Cindi and I get out at least once a year. Ortonville is on M15 about 1/2 hour south of Flint.

Yes, the IR&WS was thought to be extinct back in the 1930s...but wasn't. When we got Dan, our oldest, in 1998 there were about 200 of them in the US, about 300 in Canada, and about 3,000 in Britain and Ireland. There are more now, but it's still quite a rare breed. They are wonderful animals, with the true, sweet, easy setter temperament and good bird sense afield. That is...currently. The reason is, they missed out on the hideous breeding for coat and tail set that has wrecked most hunting breeds...and both the field types and the show types are to blame. It was breeding for redness that wrecked the Red Setter (the IR&WSs progeny); now that the IR&WS is accepted by both CKC and AKC, they're...wait for it....breeding for whiteness....

Such grouse hunting as we've done has been up in Ontario. A good friend has some property there.

More shortly, I'm sure...

Cheers
"Skeet"

Tiller

Practically Family
I have been attempting to get down the Vintage Hunting look for awhile now. I need to find a "cheap" felt hat though, that someone would have worn into the great outdoors. Especially up here in the Adirondacks.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Tiller said:
I have been attempting to get down the Vintage Hunting look for awhile now. I need to find a "cheap" felt hat though, that someone would have worn into the great outdoors. Especially up here in the Adirondacks.
Doesn't have to be a cheap one, Tiller: just an old one. In a world where things needed to be pretty well-kept, older clothes kept going down the line of usages...bottoming out, I suppose, at "outing" stuff.

All depends on what (and when, in a period sense) you are doing it...but as an upland game hunter in our thick N-E coverts, I find a quite soft fedora works GREAT: make sure it fits your head....snugly....and the floppier the brim is, the better: when you squeeeeeeze between that pole timber and crouch down in the thick stuff, you'll be glad of it. Anything with a stiffer brim is likely to be a hindrance to you, in my experience. Now our midwestern brethren, marching through those endless acres of corn....I couldn't speak to that.....:rolleyes:

Where "Up North" are you? My father hunted for years near Forestport.

Regards,
"Skeet"

Doublegun

Practically Family
It has been my experience that the two most difficult pieces of gear to find have been hunting pants and a hat. I have found a some happiness with Filson pants, but they do take a "little" break-in to get used to. (I absolutly detest the nylon faced, gortex pants found at every "sporting goods" store, brick and mortor or virtual) I am still looking for the perfect pant.

Hats are another matter. Back in the day I believe most wore their old hats that were too natty for wearing to work or day-to-day running about. I walked into a local shop (Harry the Hatter) told them I was looking for a hat to wear hunting and fishing and was promptly assumed crazy. I would appreciate any thoughts on a good hat for hunting, as well.

Cheers

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Doublegun said:
I walked into a local shop (Harry the Hatter) told them I was looking for a hat to wear hunting and fishing and was promptly assumed crazy. I would appreciate any thoughts on a good hat for hunting, as well.

Jones-style hats were quite common; there has been some talk elsewhere on the FL (I'm afraid I'm too rushed for time just now to be courteous and link the thread) about finding a good one. I'm pleased with mine from Orvis; the other gent thought the brim was too large, if memory serves. For cold-weather work (if you are lucky enough to have a season that stretches into snow) is the Filson Ducking cap; although they have started to embroider their name on the earflap, towards the front. Another sign of the end times.....I picked mine out and rubbed it up with extra wax compound...you can still see it, if you're looking for it after almost a decade, G-D it....but hopefully it's not too obvious.

And then there's the flat cap....if you can somehow figure out how to get around the blaze orange thing....

If you want a fedora....you might keep your eyes open for a vintage beater at thrift shops....

"Skeet"

Tiller

Practically Family
Where "Up North" are you? My father hunted for years near Forestport.

Regards,
"Skeet"

I'm around Lewis County. I know where Forestport is, it's south from us. We hunt mostly in Indian River, and up in Watson around the Stillwater Reservoir, more commonly known as Number Four around here. Every know and then we hit the Big Moose River/Road. I've been offered by a few friends to hunt over Old Forge way before, but I have yet to take them up on the offer.

The Old Man, and his brothers every few years hunt "southernter" in Central New York, but I haven't done that yet either.

Here's a picture of the Number Four road (I didn't take it so I don't know the details, but it looks to be on a calm day, and judging by the little snow that's on the ground I'd say it was taken during the early part of Winter).
cfiles15123.jpg

Doublegun

Practically Family
How would you describe this hat

Rods.jpg

As for the rods, the third one from the top is mine. A Summers 275 - the perfect dry fly rod for trout streams.

Tiller

Practically Family
Doublegun said:
How would you describe this hat

Rods.jpg

As for the rods, the third one from the top is mine. A Summers 275 - the perfect dry fly rod for trout streams.

I'd say it's dangerous to wear during deer season, but any other time it would be a wonderful hat!

Doublegun

Practically Family
Here is my "vintage" grouse gun. Parker 16 ga DH with 28" damascus barrels manufactured in 1894. Shells are 2-1/2" paper hulls loaded with low pressure power designed specifically for damascus barrels.

ParkerandGrouse.jpg

Doublegun

Practically Family
So, if you were going to look for a hat like that what would you look for (interms of crown, brim, etc). Like I said, I am a real newbie here. I know what I like but I just can't describe it.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Doublegun said:
So, if you were going to look for a hat like that what would you look for (interms of crown, brim, etc). Like I said, I am a real newbie here. I know what I like but I just can't describe it.
For starters, try the Federation IV from Hatsdirect.com. It has very classic dimensions, you can shape the crown to your liking (looks like you'll want a diamond bash), the price is more than reasonable...all this makes for a very popular hat among Fedora Lounge members.

Here's some threads to give you ideas:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=39790
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=36593&highlight=federation

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Doublegun said:
Here is my "vintage" grouse gun. Parker 16 ga DH with 28" damascus barrels manufactured in 1894. Shells are 2-1/2" paper hulls loaded with low pressure power designed specifically for damascus barrels.

ParkerandGrouse.jpg
Beautiful....I shoot an LC Smith 12g.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner