Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage suit patterns

Wash In Lux

One of the Regulars
habberdasher said:
The only problem is I'm a really small size and the smallest I've found is a 38. I guess you're right, the prices are actually pretty cheap. I'm just really specific in what I want too, like a black/white pinstripe double breasted vest with single breasted, peaked lapel, belted back. It is hard to sew a suit, but my mom sewed a pretty good sport coat from a pattern, but you're right; something to my specifications would be really challenging. I'll keep on looking for patterns but also look into vintage. Are thrift stores good to find 30s-40s suits? I just don't really think there are clean clothes there, old, dirty suits clumped together in some 40 year old building...

How small is small? There is definitely stuff out there. I remember a white 30's 3 piece suit (belt back and inverted pleats on patch pockets, way cool!) I sold a couple years ago which was marked a 34. Average size back then was quite a bit smaller than today.
It's becoming more difficult to find much good in thrift stores. Most of the stuff I had, I found in thrift stores in Phoenix throughout the 1990's. I found a ton of good stuff and stockpiled for years. Even back then you could thrift all day long for a week and not find anything worthwhile though. I still have a bunch of suits (and many other things) in my closet from thrift stores.
Keep checking here and on ebay on a regular basis. Somebody posted pics, I think it's on the "Show us your suits" thread of a single belt-back 3 piece suit that was on ebay last week. Don't know what size it was but, shows to go that they're on there.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Ha! that was me that posted the fancy back suit...the darn thing was so close to my size as to be criminal:rage: it closed for quite a lot, however.

To echo What wash In Lux said, when it comes to vintage, smaller is better; thing's can always be tailored in, but often not out. Also, smaller sizes usually end up selling for less than average and larger than average sizes.

Wash In Lux said:
How small is small? There is definitely stuff out there. . .Average size back then was quite a bit smaller than today. . . It's becoming more difficult to find much good in thrift stores. . .Keep checking here and on ebay on a regular basis. Somebody posted pics, I think it's on the "Show us your suits" thread of a single belt-back 3 piece suit that was on ebay last week. Don't know what size it was but, shows to go that they're on there.

cptjeff

Practically Family
As a small guy myself (34 or 36 short), you just gotta keep looking. Some nice stuff can be found at thrift stores as long as you're not looking for anything too specific. Keeping an open mind is the important thing.

Stuff can be found. One of the most amazing overcoats posted on the lounge was a size 36. (look at the bottom of this page: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=23803&page=23)

Patience is the key. And a big thrift store presence in your area.

Bugsy

One Too Many
habberdasher said:
Does anyone know a good site for vintage sewing patterns for suits? I've only found mostly woman vintage patterns and the mens suit ones I did find were 70s leisure suits. Also actual suits from the era may be pretty worn out and expensive, so I'm thinking of making one instead. I'm looking for 30s-40s. Thanks

Jimmy, where have you been? You've been missed. I hope you're well.
Roy

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
EvaDress now has a 30s belt back jacket with a 34" chest pattern for sale, along with two trouser patterns, one from the 30s and one from the 40s. I'm waiting for the jacket pattern to be avaliable in multi-size.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree that your chances will be better if you are not so specific about what you want. I see small vintage suits on Ebay all the time.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Nick D said:
EvaDress now has a 30s belt back jacket with a 34" chest pattern for sale, along with two trouser patterns, one from the 30s and one from the 40s. I'm waiting for the jacket pattern to be avaliable in multi-size.

I'm curious about these, because the pants AND the jacket pattern were both adapted from boy's clothing. Hence, they were sculpted for a boy's body, not an adult male.
Has Eva Dress addressed this issue? Were they adapted, or simply resized?

bellaclaire

New in Town
how i love this place!!! been lookin for mens suit pattern to experiment with....and ended up with ALL my questions answered as well!!!:eusa_clap
Im actually really lucky, as im home in Leeds again and Leeds/west yorkshire has always had a big tailoring heritage. most of the taylors have also ben makin suits for decades as well, i know tailore since the 70s that made Edwardian( Teddy boy suits,) the italian style 1960s as well still.( prob why theres a big 1960s scene up here!) and still making them today with there origonal patterns!
the post about how the tailors hand sew lapels made real sense.....i have an old machine i use and an industrial overocker i use , im wanting to get into making mens suits ...so will let u know if i manage to draft any patterns.x

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I searched the vintage pattern magazines of my girlfriend and found some pattern for men. A 20s DB blazer, thirties plus fours and early thirties suit jacket and an overcoat. Most of them in a smaller size.
Now I have to wait until she has time to try them. Suits or sportsjackets are rather difficult.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred