Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Suitings: Discussions of, and sourcing modern equivalents, etc.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
That would be awesome. I just had a fitting for my summer suit. It is in a quite light cream and brown striped vintage fabric, probably only 13oz. SB two button front, belted back with inverted pleat, two breast pockets, all pockets patch pockets with pleats and Oxford bags. I think it is going to be very nice. Unfortunately I had only 3 meters, not enough for a 3 piece.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
_1020229_zpsb8c43b7b.jpg

p.s. for anyone who was following the earlier corduroy discussion....i have some of this cord on the way, from the trouser maker who made stuff for Bookster.
still don't know who the manufacturer of the cord is (i will ask in the next email).

i also got a couple of swatches of cord from 'Tinsmiths' which appears to be identical to the Bookster cord, so probably the same manufacturer.

Harrisons cord (Porter & Harding range) was good (25oz), but the colours too greeny for me.

Dugdales cord was too light (16oz) and a bit sheeny.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That would be awesome. I just had a fitting for my summer suit. It is in a quite light cream and brown striped vintage fabric, probably only 13oz. SB two button front, belted back with inverted pleat, two breast pockets, all pockets patch pockets with pleats and Oxford bags. I think it is going to be very nice. Unfortunately I had only 3 meters, not enough for a 3 piece.
Whooaaaa. I hope it turns out as great as it sounds. Can't wait for the pictures :)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
_1020229_zpsb8c43b7b.jpg

p.s. for anyone who was following the earlier corduroy discussion....i have some of this cord on the way, from the trouser maker who made stuff for Bookster.
still don't know who the manufacturer of the cord is (i will ask in the next email).

i also got a couple of swatches of cord from 'Tinsmiths' which appears to be identical to the Bookster cord, so probably the same manufacturer.

Harrisons cord (Porter & Harding range) was good (25oz), but the colours too greeny for me.

Dugdales cord was too light (16oz) and a bit sheeny.

I am looking for a heavy cord in either black, very dark grey or brownish grey or even in a dark maroon. How much and how heavy are the Bookster cords?
I have a 1920s LVC shawl collar mackinaw that I want to have lined. It looks great but is totally impractical without a lining. The wind goes right through and it is not a heavy blanket type fabric to begin with. I could wear it on a warm spring or autumn day but surely not in the cold. I never thought that it was so difficult to get some good cord. Maybe I should go with a heavy loden fabric instead?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks hbk! That's less than half of what Huddersfield Fine Worsteds charge. BTW, do you remember how much that heavy whipcord from H. E. Box costs?

The outside is already a kind of tweed. I don't think lining it with tweed would do the trick. I want something that's draught resistant and substantial. I think cord would be a very good and affordable option. Cotton twill would probably not wear as warm as I would like it to. Loden is windproof and waterresistant, but I am not sure it would look as good as cord.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
What do you fellas think of this lighter gray flannel? I was thinking it might make a nice mid-30s inspired three-piece. What does 430g per meter translate to in ounces per yard anyways?

Attachments

• $T2eC16F,!zEE9s3!(H9pBQ8D6GCZJQ~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16F,!zEE9s3!(H9pBQ8D6GCZJQ~~60_12.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 154

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot