Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

ChazVanEyck

New in Town
Hey, just wanted to share these photos of a pair of goggles I won on eBay a couple of days ago! I'm really excited about these!

8bc4_1.jpg

8b58_1.jpg

Jerekson

One Too Many
Ah, so you're the lucky dog that got those, eh?

Looks like a nice late 20's pair to me...hard to tell though, I may be wrong.

Can't wait till they arrive!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I normally don't post my mug on here, but I think I can remain mysterious behind these 1950's shades I picked up at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago:

shades3.jpg

That's my tough look. :)

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pigeon toe said:
Nice glasses!

My mom has some very old vintage sunglasses probably from the 20's. They belonged to some distant relative. They are very similar to the ones in the second photo, but have thinner wire arms and the shade things on the side are metal mesh (I can't tell from the photo what they look like on your glasses). They are very neat, I'll have to ask her for those next time I go home.

I don't wanna hijack this thread, but I have some adorable vintage sunglasses that I can't seem to date. I want to say late 50's/early 60's, but wouldn't be surprised if they were later. Here's a picture:

glasses.jpg

Any ideas?

Late 1940's, early 1950's.

VB

Jerekson

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
These might be vintage welding goggles. Thoughts anyone?

VB

I think that's the basic consensus - safety glasses.

But more accurately, I think they are motorcycle riding glasses.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
That's probably what they are. If not welding, then some kind of safety goggle. Mine definitely were welding, they've got little bits of metal fused to the lenses.

My pair, work great as sunglasses, nice and dark. The one difficulty, though with this style as sunglasses, is folding them up when you're inside. The side screens make them pretty bulky in your pocket, which is a hassle. If you're not wearing a jacket, it's an even bigger problem, because it's not like you can just put the ear piece over a shirt pocket or your collar. You pretty much have to carry them in that case.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jerekson said:
I think that's the basic consensus - safety glasses.

But more accurately, I think they are motorcycle riding glasses.

Sorry, I thought this thread had only three pages, so I just answered...I should have kept reading...

ChazVanEyck

New in Town
Ok, so I received the goggles the weekend before last, but am now just getting the chance to post a photo. So, here it is! The lenses are amber as shown previously in the photos I posted.

steamchaz009.jpg

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
Here's a pair that i got off the 'bay a little time ago

100_2952.jpg

They came with the case and an original cleaning cloth that was stuffed down in the case.

100_2953.jpg

cowboy76

Suspended
Baron Kurtz said:

I always liked those 20s/30s driving goggle-type sunglasses. Very cool, dinerman . . .

bk[/QUOTE]

Sure do look like the same type od "safety" glasses that were availible as burning glasses for industrial and construction workers. I'm a boilermaker/welder by trade,..have several old magazines depicting fellows wearing these while oxy welding/burning from the 1940s.....pus i have a pair. Never saw pictures of driving glasses tht looked like these exact same style of glasses, but from the 20s/30s...would be very interested to see pics or old ads. heck, I may have just never noticed them???

cowboy76

Suspended
Lucky Strike said:
Bought these at a street/flea-market some three weeks ago...seller said he'd bought them NOS from Sweden:

DSC00895.jpg

I'd think around 1950?

Definitley NOT 50s,...had a pair JUST like them in the past,...dont ask what happened to them, lets not go there!...:eusa_doh:
Anyway, the design and material that they're made of is dead on to the stylings of the 1930s and possibly 1920s! Great look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR