Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire, thank you very much! :D

I think those look great on you! :eusa_clap

Spitfire said:
SweaterogIrvin007-1.jpg

My new vintage RAF Mark VIII ones. Love'em!

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
For me the only sunglasses I like are my Ray Ban Signets.
I like the retro shape of them and the frames are very solid and sturdy,
over the past 20 yrs I have worn them exclusively.
At present, I m on my third pair and have a 4th pair put away as back up.
I fly a Vintage 1940 Bi-plane and of all the aviation sunglasses I've check out, Ray Ban are still superior by far. Besides , I think they look cool and go with the vintage style of the airplane.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Hey Spit, glad to see you got a good pair of reading glasses! I remember when you were having trouble with that.

JoeSki

New in Town
Where does one find Windsor/Lennon style sunglasses?

I'm not sure what did it, but for the past year I've been really wanting a pair of darkly tinted sunglasses with perfectly round frames. Actually, it was probably Leon, from the film The Professional that caused me to seek this style out over the course of what has been about a year.

"A Year? My word!"

Yes, yes. As I'm sure you've guessed by now I'm not quite the usual audience of the message board here. I'm not too good at scouting for vintage goodies, nor do I usually have the money to purchase them when I happen across them. I do appreciate the style though and I've made it a point to at least own a real fedora.

But I digress.

I've searched for glasses along these styles high and low online and in town and the closest thing I've come across has been party favor glasses at Ebay. The ones that looked the most real on Ebay I quickly purchased and later found them to be made of plastic and about two sizes too small.

On the current the Sunglasses Thread on this board I see DinerMan has obtained exactly what I'm looking for:

IMG_2304.jpg

As for Leon from The Professional...
leon-05.jpg

Can anyone tell me where is a good place to purchase glasses like these? After looking for so long it certaintly seems like they're no longer being made...or at least not on a mainstream level. Is there a good online shop out there that sells them? Perhaps something not easily picked up by a Yahoo or Google search? Or does anyone know of a shop in the Orlando Florida area?

Help would be very much appreciated :) .

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
use ebay- search for Willson sunglasses- tick search titles AND descriptions. There's usually a couple pairs up, if not, wait a little while. They're tough to find, and expensive new. The vintage ones are very nicely made, and usually don't go for too too much.

anon`

One Too Many
Ebay! But someone will snipe you by 50¢ at the last minute ;)

I actually just picked up a pair at the antique show here in Portland last weekend (they promptly broke in two, but we mustn't ask why!) and I do on occasion see them show up at antique stores.

I have found, however, that Windsor frames are found far more often with clear prescription lenses in them, and that these can often be had for quite cheap (I have another pair that I picked up for $8 that are in remarkably good condition, all things considered). You might consider going this route if you can find a place in your vicinity that can source tinted lenses for you. Just beware that it was not uncommon for frames to be riveted closed, making it difficult--if not impossible--to transplant lenses into them.

JoeSki

New in Town
Dinerman said:
use ebay- search for Willson sunglasses- tick search titles AND descriptions. There's usually a couple pairs up, if not, wait a little while. They're tough to find, and expensive new. The vintage ones are very nicely made, and usually don't go for too too much.

Oh excellent! Thanks for the help. This has put me on another lead: vintage safety glasses. Oddly enough, a lot of these seem to have the exact same look and especially have the dark tint.

anon` said:
I have found, however, that Windsor frames are found far more often with clear prescription lenses in them, and that these can often be had for quite cheap (I have another pair that I picked up for $8 that are in remarkably good condition, all things considered). You might consider going this route if you can find a place in your vicinity that can source tinted lenses for you. Just beware that it was not uncommon for frames to be riveted closed, making it difficult--if not impossible--to transplant lenses into them.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Over the last 20 years British spectacle frame manufacturing has 'died' and there are now just a few of us who might genuinely be able to stamp their finished products with 'Made in England'. There are historical reasons for the demise of British frame manufacturing. Post-war labour Government introduced the NHS frame range that was subsidised using taxes and nearly all manufaturers relied on these subsidies without having to compete in the international arena. These frames had no export market at the time. In the early 1980s, Mrs Thatcher's Conservative Government got rid of the NHS frame range and de-regulated the Opticians' trade. Later in the same decade designer eyewear from Europe entered the British market. The few surviving companies could not in any way take on Luxottica and 'Armani'. At the same time there came a huge worldwide downturn in acetate frames and this was the 'final nail in the coffin'. Anglo American Eyewear, Cambridge Optical and Paul Green Eyewear have long ceased as manufacturing enterprises. On the other hand, over the same period many very English sounding names have appeared on the display stands of nearly all our optical retailers. The same 'English' brands are also sold using PR and hype to unsuspecting Europeans, Japanese and the Americans giving the impression that the product has been made in England.

Luxotica even bought Bausch&Lomb aka RayBan. Now the designer stuff in the shops (the optometrists tell me) is made in China and stamped made in Italy because they are re-exported there for fianl checking and that way pass the test for an EUR stamp. But then suddenly the AUD600+ frames are now AUD350 in Sydney shops. I wonder why?

Jerekson

One Too Many
Depends what you're looking for. If you need something cheap just type "round sunglasses" in eBay. If you want some vintage quality, type "antique sunglasses".

Do any of these strike your fancy?

Glasses_21.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24