Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage that Defies the Recession

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Some vintage clothing is so rare and (sometimes inexplicably) desirable that it scoffs at economic meltdowns.

Here's a very recent example:
Vintage-1900s-1920s-Hickory-Stripe-Levi-Denim-Shirt_W0QQitemZ360154951853QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Men_s_Clothing

Post 'em if you see 'em!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That's a pretty amazing denim shirt, borders on museum quality. It has so many fascinating details. Maybe the buyer will use it as a pattern to sell a million knock offs?

mattfink

Practically Family
Guttersnipe said:
I'll tell you, one type of vintage that hasn't proved to be recession defiant is Hawaiian shirts. . .

That surge last year was a few collectors hitting each other...died out once eBay wouldn't show who was bidding on what. In general they are down, but anything super rare will always brings loads of cash. Workwear has been popular in Japan for quite a few years, but it's really getting crazy with some of this stuff going for thousands. Watch for anything denim with a Wabash pattern...

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Oh, FORTUNY indeed! What a work of art. Thank god she had the good taste not to model Ms. Thing in it.

(I use models too, but mine aren't made of plastic and blonde-from-the-bottle!)

As to the Hawaiians, those collectors DO know who is bidding - it is very easy to run an advanced "search by bidder" and see who is active on what. Hana and Retro City are competitive as ever, if you know how to watch - they just don't have to bid as high to beat everyone else. A couple others appear to have (at least for now) dropped out of the game.

I project a return to pre-recession prices for Hawaiians over the next few years, and eventually prices to rival high-end workwear in another twenty or thirty years. Ask Guttersnipe, he has a whole theory on this.

cecil

A-List Customer
lol :eusa_clap That particular model irritates me a little too sometimes. Not to be cruel but I just wish she'd turn that darned grin down a few megawatts.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
cecil said:
lol :eusa_clap That particular model irritates me a little too sometimes. Not to be cruel but I just wish she'd turn that darned grin down a few megawatts.
I think that she's not an actual model, but rather one of those incredibly detailed japanese made female "action figures". In this case the action is limited to four poses and one expression from a 1950s auto tradeshow hostess...

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
hahaha!

It does make me worry what folks think of my gals, but at least they're fully articulated.

Despite having pretty gals with natural smiles, though, I would say that the greater percentage of vintage is not holding up against the recession. Notable exceptions are wedding dresses (everyone still spends too much money to get married), workwear - interesting counterpoint, and 80's awfulness.

cecil

A-List Customer
Guttersnipe said:
I'll tell you, one type of vintage that hasn't proved to be recession defiant is Hawaiian shirts. . .

Really? I saw one for about AUD$30 the other day, should i pick it up and try to make a profit on the feebay?

texasgirl

One Too Many
pdxvintagette said:
hahaha!

It does make me worry what folks think of my gals, but at least they're fully articulated.

Your models are super cute! We had a whole thread once on her model, so funny!

Okay, back to topic :)

mattfink

Practically Family
Thanks for pointing out how stupid I am ("if you know how to watch")...defeats the point if no one else (besides the other sneaky petes) can see you slap down your big chunk of change.

pdxvintagette said:
Oh, FORTUNY indeed! What a work of art. Thank god she had the good taste not to model Ms. Thing in it.

(I use models too, but mine aren't made of plastic and blonde-from-the-bottle!)

As to the Hawaiians, those collectors DO know who is bidding - it is very easy to run an advanced "search by bidder" and see who is active on what. Hana and Retro City are competitive as ever, if you know how to watch - they just don't have to bid as high to beat everyone else. A couple others appear to have (at least for now) dropped out of the game.

I project a return to pre-recession prices for Hawaiians over the next few years, and eventually prices to rival high-end workwear in another twenty or thirty years. Ask Guttersnipe, he has a whole theory on this.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Didn't mean to be insulting ... I spend, um, a LOT of time on ebay, sometimes I forget that not everyone spends their workdays on it!

Doing Terapeak research, I've also noticed a rise in the number of private listings made for specific individuals - one of the top Hawaiian guys bought a bunch of items at pre-arranged $1000-$1500 buy-it-nows a couple months ago. No one else even got a bite at them.

Also, it is important to remember that the vintage market isn't limited to ebay, and what is happening to prices there. Snappygabs stills gets $1,000+ for a Carmel jacket at trunk shows. While on Ebay prices have been more drastically affected, many high end brick and mortar stores have barely felt the pinch - they are catering to a demographic less affected and selling a quality of product with more durable price to value ratio.

P.S. Thanks, Texasgirl, for the compliment!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
pdxvintagette said:
Didn't mean to be insulting ... I spend, um, a LOT of time on ebay, sometimes I forget that not everyone spends their workdays on it!

Doing Terapeak research, I've also noticed a rise in the number of private listings made for specific individuals - one of the top Hawaiian guys bought a bunch of items at pre-arranged $1000-$1500 buy-it-nows a couple months ago. No one else even got a bite at them.

Also, it is important to remember that the vintage market isn't limited to ebay, and what is happening to prices there. Snappygabs stills gets $1,000+ for a Carmel jacket at trunk shows. While on Ebay prices have been more drastically affected, many high end brick and mortar stores have barely felt the pinch - they are catering to a demographic less affected and selling a quality of product with more durable price to value ratio.

P.S. Thanks, Texasgirl, for the compliment!

Interesting comment pdxvintagette.

I recently tried to buy a pair of vintage NOS shoes from a a well known US vintage seller. The shoes were ordered then mysteriously nothing happened. The site is notorious for bouncing back emails so I fiinally got in thru a conduit. I finally get a call back to say some anonymous Japanese buyer had just bought them (size 10.5D mind you!) shortly before my order was processed!

I smelt a rat and then when I finally got thru for the second time quering their integrity they gave me some cock and bull story that they had not been able to contact me on the address where they had just sent me the email and that their emails to me 'bounced back'. I have never heard of an email that bounced back.

They were keeping the Japanese buyer/dealer sweet I imagine for other deals. So stuff off to a previous buyer.

What was particularly galling is they were exactly what I had been after for years and I even found an imageshack photo of them that I kept...ho hummm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari