Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Campbell's Scotch Broth was the best thing in the world to eat on a cold winter day after shoveling out the driveway. Good for what ailed ya.

Not being of Andean descent, I'd never heard of quinoa. If not a malaria cure, it sounds like a second baseman for the Cleveland Indians in 1985. Junior Quinoa, good field no hit.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
If you've been doing it for generations, in the country, on a farm, you're not a hipster. If you do it on your rooftop and carry on like you're, like yah, the FIRST PERSON EVER TO RAISE BEES and sell the honey for $30 a pint to other people who've never actually seen a wild bee, then yes, you're a hipster.

So if I get some domestic bees and I use my honey myself and I keep it to myself because I don't want a bunch of people trying to get me to give them honey or mead I am still just weird right? I don't mind being crazy but I do not want to be a hipster in the modern sense.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Harry The Hipster wasn't worried.
tumblr_m4somqyUji1qe0v17o1_1280.png

Here he is in 1945 asking the musical question:
Who Put the Benzedrine in Mrs. Murphy's Ovaltine?

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Campbell's Scotch Broth was the best thing in the world to eat on a cold winter day after shoveling out the driveway. Good for what ailed ya.

Not being of Andean descent, I'd never heard of quinoa. If not a malaria cure, it sounds like a second baseman for the Cleveland Indians in 1985. Junior Quinoa, good field no hit.

Campbell's doesn't sell their Scotch Broth anymore?:(

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I have had some tirtilla chips that I would consider artisanal. Handmade street-food tortillas. They did not have a label on the bag. They came in a plain brown paper bag and were dirt cheap. Not anything like any commercial chips.

Flicka

One Too Many

Judging from the expression on the faces on the packages, mescaline seems to be a key ingredient in modern Campbell soup recipes.

But quinoa is really good. I really like grainy stuff like quinoa, bulghur, couscous and barley. The latter is very traditional here, but coming as I do from an area with plenty of immigrants of non-Scandinavian origin (which here also equals 'low income'), I've always eaten food from all over the world. I never saw 'exotic' food as posh or 'artisanal' since I learned about it from (decidedly un-posh) people I knew. While trendy here these days, there is nothing ridiculous or inherently fancy about, say, Ethiopian cuisine (my grandparents used to live there so I grew up acquainted with injera and wot). Likewise, something like nam plaa may sound fancy-pantsy but it's also a staple in the kitchen of Thai rice farmers...

But yeah, I do laugh at the people paying big bucks for speshul brands of speshul ingredients in tiny packages when I get them by the gallon for practically nothing at the local Arabic or Thai shop. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn