Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Pirating makes me very, very angry. It, as noted above, steals intellectual property (and all the physical work that went into it - not just from stars, but the entire film crew, including those who clean up at night - from people like Lizzie who work to exhibit the films and from investors who put up capital to put the entire effort in motion - and a lot of that investment money is pooled from small mom-and-pop investors via retirement accounts and mutual funds) which is bad (very, very bad) enough, but it is the blasé attitude of those who steal it - "Duded, I'm just watching a video that someone else posted," that takes it to another level.

Having known many people who watch / listen to pirated material and having asked them about it, I think in most cases they believe (or at least can kid themselves into believing) it is a victimless crime or they are "just" stealing from a big corporation (which also drives me crazy as many big corporation are honest enterprises made up of hard working employees and investors that include (again) small investor's retirement accounts - so stealing from a big corporation hurts a lot of regular people) - so they think it is okay. And while some big companies are horrible - many aren't - and just being a big company doesn't make it okay to steal from it.

It speaks to something broken in our entire value system as a society. Not stealing should be a core value of our society ingrained into every child (as I thought it was when I was a kid), not a "bad to do in some circumstances" and not an "okay if its form a big corporation" squishy value. As I believe HH said above, nothing is free and all theft takes from someone - even the biggest company - at least some parts of it - is made up of regular people and regular investors.

The arrogance, moral bankruptcy and (at best) lazy thinking behind this drives me crazy. And so many of the millennials who do it, consider themselves such good moral avatars - BS.

ingineer

One Too Many
Thou shalt not steal. (Exodus 20:15)

A;
i wonder if you should be on this forum
Are you just troll baiting us?
Or is it there is nowhere left to post such nonsense?
Breaking God's Commandments will not find you in our favour
Consider your audience
Well there is a beam in my eye so i shan't speak of the splinter in yours.

But as to topic and very didactic

I would Never hire someone that came to an interview that was not wearing a watch.
It tells me time is not important to you
And if they pulled out their cell to check the time i would assume they were texting
A watch is the mark of a professional and is much more than a fashion statement
It does not have to be Rolex a simple Timex will do
Funny how one's choice tells me who you are, just like if your shoes are shined.
A g-Shock, CWC, Marathon says possible military service
Calculator watch , yes maybe the technician job
Timex you are frugal
Somewhere down the line you will appreciate a "good" timepiece.
Something you can give to your son.
Your cell will probably obsolete in 2 years, but a quality Swiss watch can be handed down for generations.

Didn't your parents buy you one for graduation?
Cherish it. Wear it. be proud. it is a sign to us elders as a mark of manhood

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephen-viscusi/watch-yourself-get-a-job-_b_3654560.html

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I used to be against copying or pirating music and videos. Then about 20 years ago the government put a tax on blank tapes and DVDs which they handed over to the record industry. You pay this tax even if the tapes and DVDs are used for something that has no connection to copying others work.

So far as I am concerned if I have paid the royalty I am entitled to copy.

I don't actually do so because all the new music and movies are crap.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Pirating makes me very, very angry. It, as noted above, steals intellectual property (and all the physical work that went into it - not just from stars, but the entire film crew, including those who clean up at night - from people like Lizzie who work to exhibit the films and from investors who put up capital to put the entire effort in motion - and a lot of that investment money is pooled from small mom-and-pop investors via retirement accounts and mutual funds) which is bad (very, very bad) enough, but it is the blasé attitude of those who steal it - "Duded, I'm just watching a video that someone else posted," that takes it to another level.

Having known many people who watch / listen to pirated material and having asked them about it, I think in most cases they believe (or at least can kid themselves into believing) it is a victimless crime or they are "just" stealing from a big corporation (which also drives me crazy as many big corporation are honest enterprises made up of hard working employees and investors that include (again) small investor's retirement accounts - so stealing from a big corporation hurts a lot of regular people) - so they think it is okay. And while some big companies are horrible - many aren't - and just being a big company doesn't make it okay to steal from it.

It speaks to something broken in our entire value system as a society. Not stealing should be a core value of our society ingrained into every child (as I thought it was when I was a kid), not a "bad to do in some circumstances" and not an "okay if its form a big corporation" squishy value. As I believe HH said above, nothing is free and all theft takes from someone - even the biggest company - at least some parts of it - is made up of regular people and regular investors.

The arrogance, moral bankruptcy and (at best) lazy thinking behind this drives me crazy. And so many of the millennials who do it, consider themselves such good moral avatars - BS.

This times a thousand.

I've never personal stolen or pirated a movie or video, however I've watched a few movies with my folks at home from said "pirated" videos.

I really don't watch movies that much anyways. I've probably only watched less than 10 movies in my lifetime.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Thou shalt not steal. (Exodus 20:15)

A;
i wonder if you should be on this forum
Are you just troll baiting us?
Or is it there is nowhere left to post such nonsense?
Breaking God's Commandments will not find you in our favour
Consider your audience
Well there is a beam in my eye so i shan't speak of the splinter in yours.

But as to topic and very didactic

I would Never hire someone that came to an interview that was not wearing a watch.
It tells me time is not important to you
And if they pulled out their cell to check the time i would assume they were texting
A watch is the mark of a professional and is much more than a fashion statement
It does not have to be Rolex a simple Timex will do
Funny how one's choice tells me who you are, just like if your shoes are shined.
A g-Shock, CWC, Marathon says possible military service
Calculator watch , yes maybe the technician job
Timex you are frugal
Somewhere down the line you will appreciate a "good" timepiece.
Something you can give to your son.
Your cell will probably obsolete in 2 years, but a quality Swiss watch can be handed down for generations.

Didn't your parents buy you one for graduation?
Cherish it. Wear it. be proud. it is a sign to us elders as a mark of manhood

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephen-viscusi/watch-yourself-get-a-job-_b_3654560.html

Thanks for the reply. I now might consider a watch.

I'm not trolling just stating my personal opinion about pirating. I know it's not right. However, the movies I do like to see (Skyfall, Spectre) I always watch them in the movie theater. I never watch movies twice so going to the movies is worth it.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Lizzie in the case of a movie made before 1950 in which all the actors, director, etc are dead would you frown on me watching it on Youtube? Or should I send a dime to RKO?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Canadian copyright laws are different from ours -- so it wouldn't be my place to say anything one way or another. My beef is with people who assume that films in current exhibition are fair game for piracy. If I see anyone camming off our screen, they're going to be turned over to the law so fast their heads will spin.

The sub $1 slice of pizza in NYC or the lunch special of 2 slices and a fountain soda for $2 (and it might even have been $1.50 when I first started working in NYC in '82 - it was the cheapest way to fill yourself up as I regularly did). When the pizza slice broke the buck, it was crushing (and it held at a $1 for a long time as it made the transaction easy in those no-one-used-credit-cards-to buy-inexpensive-things days).

Now, sadly, one of my favorite pizza shops (where my avatar was taken) is 2 slices and a soda for $5 and I'm okay with it (and if I'm not, that would just mean no pizza and that is not how my life is structured). Over the last decade, several 99 cent / slice pizza shops have popped up in the city - and while some taste kinda okay (of course I've tried them) - the two things I've noticed is that the slices are undersized, at most 75% of a real slice, and the sauce tastes a bit too sweet and under seasoned. So, IMHO, adjusting for the size and quality, it isn't a true 99 cent slice.

Lizzie in the case of a movie made before 1950 in which all the actors, director, etc are dead would you frown on me watching it on Youtube? Or should I send a dime to RKO?

I thought Youtube had cleaned up its act and was policing pirated movies, etc. Just thought I heard that - I don't visit Youtube much at all. That said, once in awhile a friend will send me a link and there is almost always a 10 or so second ad before the video (I think that was part of why I believed they had cleaned up their act).

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
It seems some old movies are in the public domain and some are not. Most "poverty row" movies, made by studios long defunct, seem to be in the public domain. But you frequently find that movies by major studios are only available from "pay" sites even if they are more than 50 years old. There is no hard and fast rule.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
American copyright law is a complicated mess. Basically any American film released before 1923 is in the public domain, as is any film which was registered under the 1909 copyright law but not renewed after the expiration of the first 28 year term. Most studios were meticulous about doing this, even renewing films which no longer existed at the time of renewal, but films made by independent producers often slipped thru the crack, as did even a few films from major studios.

All films that were under copyright in 1978, when the new copyright law was passed had their copyrights automatically extended under the new law -- and the date of expiration has been extended onward and outward since then due to deep pockets of corporate lobbyists working for the major studios. It'll be 2019 before the oldest films protected under the revised law, those made in 1923, fall into public domain, it'll be 2028 before movies made in 1930 become public domain, 2038 before 1940 films do, 2048 before 1950 films, and so on and on.

American copyright law is a complicated mess. Basically any American film released before 1923 is in the public domain, as is any film which was registered under the 1909 copyright law but not renewed after the expiration of the first 28 year term. Most studios were meticulous about doing this, even renewing films which no longer existed at the time of renewal, but films made by independent producers often slipped thru the crack, as did even a few films from major studios.

All films that were under copyright in 1978, when the new copyright law was passed had their copyrights automatically extended under the new law -- and the date of expiration has been extended onward and outward since then due to deep pockets of corporate lobbyists working for the major studios. It'll be 2019 before the oldest films protected under the revised law, those made in 1923, fall into public domain, it'll be 2028 before movies made in 1930 become public domain, 2038 before 1940 films do, 2048 before 1950 films, and so on and on.

Assuming the law doesn't get "extended" again by crony capitalism.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Canadian copyright laws are different from ours -- so it wouldn't be my place to say anything one way or another. My beef is with people who assume that films in current exhibition are fair game for piracy. If I see anyone camming off our screen, they're going to be turned over to the law so fast their heads will spin.

Our laws are quite similar. It is clearly against the law to pirate films and tv shows. The tax on blank media mentioned above was quite controversial, as it essentially made everyone pay for royalties to cover copied material, but that is a reflection of the view that artistic work should be compensated for.

I have no patience or sympathy for anyone who feels it's okay to steal intellectual property because it's intangible.

And that includes my own brother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats