Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

AtomicEraTom, I think I read it once or heard, 'if God had wanted us to drink from Mason jars he would have put grooves in our lips.'

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think the plastic ones are more fulfilling what we refer to around here as the "wannabe redneck" market. They think it's trendy to drink from Mason Jars (we did it growing up, because they were cheap and hard for us kids to break.)

I still find the glass ones at several stores, including Wal-Mart and Tractor Supply. Just bought Mom some for her birthday.

I drink my Alka-Seltzer from an "Ideal EZ" mason jar every night before bed, and have for many years. It's heavy enough that if my cat knocks it off the nightstand I won't have a lot of broken glass on the floor to step on in the morning.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
For better or for worse, the wrist watch is making a comeback. Dick Tracy could only dream of this!
apple-watch-collection-1364x768_zpsdifho2h5.jpg

They worked great for us kids, they hold a lot for good Jack and Cokes like Mom and Dad make. We were far from wealthy back then, too, and Mason Jars are cheap.

AtomicEraTom, I think I read it once or heard, 'if God had wanted us to drink from Mason jars he would have put grooves in our lips.'

Very sadly, it's not the same around here, at all.

James Powers, sadly.

They are perfect for that. My cat and dog knock glasses of the night stand more often than not.

I drink my Alka-Seltzer from an "Ideal EZ" mason jar every night before bed, and have for many years. It's heavy enough that if my cat knocks it off the nightstand I won't have a lot of broken glass on the floor to step on in the morning.

My brother wears one of these gizmos. I'll stick with my traditional Gold watch.

For better or for worse, the wrist watch is making a comeback. Dick Tracy could only dream of this!
apple-watch-collection-1364x768_zpsdifho2h5.jpg

I'm 19.

Wrist watches...
I wonder if this is a generational thing, a technological thing, a combination of the two, or something else? Everyone I know within my approximate age range (54) wears a wristwatch, but in my experience if you ask someone who is two or more decades younger for the time they'll likely refer to their cell phone for that information.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if this is a generational thing, a technological thing, a combination of the two, or something else? Everyone I know within my approximate age range (54) wears a wristwatch, but in my experience if you ask someone who is two or more decades younger for the time they'll likely refer to their cell phone for that information.

I hate my phone, but I have to carry it, and invariably use it to check the time. I wear watches out of habit, and they are the only kind of 'jewelry' I wear other than my wedding band.

My wife is into those Mason jars big time right now.

I'm 19.

Wrist watches
Blockbuster
DVD stores
Arcade stations
Caring about your appearance (I hate you 1970s rejects)

Blockbuster / DVD stores - good riddance. Streaming is much, much better and there was nothing charming or enjoyable about those stores or the silly need to race back to return the darn thing (or to be frustrated when all the good new releases were already out).

Wrist watches - It's funny, but the wrist watch evolved from a military need for soldiers and military aviators to be able to see the time without having to pull out a pocket watch (the norm up until WWI). After WWI, the wrist watch become adopted by civilians and the pocket watch all but disappeared.

In old movies, you'll still see some of the men pull out a pocket watch to check the time. I think of this every time someone pull out their high-tech smart phone to check the time - it has a funny historical echo to the pocket watch.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Blockbuster / DVD stores - good riddance. Streaming is much, much better and there was nothing charming or enjoyable about those stores or the silly need to race back to return the darn thing (or to be frustrated when all the good new releases were already out).

Wrist watches - It's funny, but the wrist watch evolved from a military need for soldiers and military aviators to be able to see the time without having to pull out a pocket watch (the norm up until WWI). After WWI, the wrist watch become adopted by civilians and the pocket watch all but disappeared.

In old movies, you'll still see some of the men pull out a pocket watch to check the time. I think of this every time someone pull out their high-tech smart phone to check the time - it has a funny historical echo to the pocket watch.

I agree with everything you said. Also thanks for the historical facts.

I do find that smart phones are the pocket watches today, a lot of modern male fashion blogs want wrist watches, pocket watches, even hats to come to fashion. However, this probably won't happen because we have phones to check the time and much more. Also most people don't care about their skin. A lot of people, especially young light skinned people like to get tanned on purpose.

This is fine of course, but especially if you are of a lighter skin tone, skin cancer and problems like that could affect you later on in life. Not to mention that over exposure to the sun will age you faster. I prefer the pale/light skinned look. Thank the heavens that girls from Eastern Asia are wearing hats =).

It's interesting that fashion is kind of dictated by functional needs. Once the functional need has been met by something else, the item goes out out fashion. For example: cufflinks , hats, DVD's.

I don't know, I might get a pocket watch because my phone is always battery dead =/.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I've often thought the smartphone people ought to wear the thing on a gold chain with an elk's tooth fob, just for effect.

Since most men only wear button cuff dress shirts, a wrist watch does get in the way and feels uncomfortable. I also don't like the look of it. Well that's my opinion anyways =P.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer

Good riddance to DVD stores =). Now I can easily watch any movie for FREE at home.

I do find that smart phones are the pocket watches today, a lot of modern male fashion blogs want wrist watches, pocket watches, even hats to come to fashion. However, this probably won't happen because we have phones to check the time and much more.

I have read that watch sales have declined due to smart phones. However, I find it much quicker to glance at my wristwatch than dig out my phone which is probably why I was never that much into pocket watches.

Ironically, despite the wristwatch's military origins, it was slow to catch on before WWI because many civilian men initially regarded it as effeminate.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I wear a wristwatch, and have never found it inconvenient with dress shirts. Most officers I work with wear watches, on and off duty. I gather many people rely on phones now, ironically mimicing the need to reach in as we did with pocket watches (how "modern" they look!). And I love our remaining, local independent video store. First name basis with most of the staff, the ability to search a huge inventory or ask for something to be brought in, rather than being limited to whatever the streaming service manages to have access to. And it's good to know I'm not pirating anything. I remember my brother asking me if I wanted to watch Skyfall with him. At his house. A week before its premier in the theatres...

I said no thanks!

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I wear a wristwatch, and have never found it inconvenient with dress shirts. Most officers I work with wear watches, on and off duty. I gather many people rely on phones now, ironically mimicing the need to reach in as we did with pocket watches (how "modern" they look!). And I love our remaining, local independent video store. First name basis with most of the staff, the ability to search a huge inventory or ask for something to be brought in, rather than being limited to whatever the streaming service manages to have access to. And it's good to know I'm not pirating anything. I remember my brother asking me if I wanted to watch Skyfall with him. At his house. A week before its premier in the theatres...

I said no thanks!

Me personally, I don't care if I'm pirating videos.

Also you could watch Skyfall for free on YouTube lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTWTNaWFzIc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes