Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Looks like there’s a comeback in my neck of the woods.
The lights went on this Feb. on a drive-in I used to attend as a youngster.
jk9fva.png

25ggrrl.png

One movie critic didn’t care for this flick.:rolleyes:

I was never optimistic. As a child, I was thoughtful from the beginning and mostly observing my surrounding, the people and what's going on. With 25 at the latest, I was comprehending, that my stragedy was right all the time. And with 27 at the latest, I checked off humanity itself. No further questions. Now, I'm just keeping busy with hobbies and people, which I like and love.

There's no other choice, than the (corrupt) market-economy... :(

I expect the worst but it drives my wife nuts. I've tried to be more like her, but it's just not in my DNA.
Looking around, it's hard to see anything in the world that leads me to believe that I'm wrong...

Yes. I always think:
How can some people be that hedonistic, like they are? What's exactly going on, on their head, that they can cast aside the bad things going on?

Maybe, they are not thoughtful by nature.

Maybe the thought that "all people are generally good" isn't really so? Maybe it's just the modern world where everyone is a text and not a face. Just never felt this sad in my life.

I was raised on the philosophy that "life ain't for sissies". The world will chew you up and spit you out if you let it. So go out and make what you wish. Don't be afraid, don't be an Eyeore, and don't let other people make you miserable. Find the good and it will find you back. I guess that's the definition of optimism.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Man, not sure who you all hang out with, that you think there is no humanity left tin the world. I know lots of nice people, and I hang around with so called Biker Scum! Yet, I would trust them with my last dollar. They might forget where they put it, but they would not steal it! Evey day, people do nice things, hold the door when you have an arm full of box's, let you into traffic, and just say thank you, when you do something nice for them! Turns out, old Spiro Agnew was right, when he said we should stop listing to all The Nattering Nabobs of Negativism!

I was raised with the philosophy "Expect the worst -- and then when something good happens you'll be pleasantly surprised."
I can't say I was raised with this philosophy, but at some point I did come around to it on my own. My wife is the opposite--she expects things to happen as they should, then gets angry when they don't and can't understand why I don't get angry during those moments like she does. :D I've explained it to her a number of times over our years together, but she still hasn't completely come around to my way of thinking.

I would not call me a real "pessimist". I'm an observing (nostalgic/romanticistic?) realist and in 2010, I finally decided, not to talk further with everdays pessimists, which just get each other down with their talking on everdays encounters.

Because, THAT'S a big psychological problem, here in eastern Germany and I recognized it finally as an young adult on the age of 25. And since then, I don't like to get down my quality of life, just through these mostly middle-aged whiners, which not having hobbies (!), anymore.

Call me an relaxed cynical. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran