Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Agreed. I try to buy as much as I can in glass. I have a ton of 'glasses' that once were Ragu containers, they also work great for holding nails, push-pins, twist ties, etc.

I have used all kinds of glass jars for stuff like that. There was a time we were using a lot baby food jars. Because they are so small, they are great for the types of small stuff you mentioned. I would screw the metal lids to the underside of a shelf (two screws so it doesnt spin), and then screw the jar onto the lid. Uses no shelf space that way.

That's exactly what I do. Works fantastically.

I have used all kinds of glass jars for stuff like that. There was a time we were using a lot baby food jars. Because they are so small, they are great for the types of small stuff you mentioned. I would screw the metal lids to the underside of a shelf (two screws so it doesnt spin), and then screw the jar onto the lid. Uses no shelf space that way.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Miss Sofia,

Kia-ora in plastic cartons - that's just brought back memories of Saturday morning pictures, munching on Spangles and Sherbet Fountains, watching cartoons, with the requisite "Pearl & Dean" trailers!

"Bababababababababaabaabum" - ooh i came over all nostalgic then for pearl and dean trailer, often more exciting than the main show!

Amy Jeanne - good call lady! I love those type of shows. We had Alf Garnett et al, who is sorely missed on our telly at home.

How about body-on-frame rear-wheel-drive V8 Carbureted vehicles with all those goodies like tail fins, chrome, vinyl tops, white walls (thin or wide) spoke hubcaps, fake wood inside and out, and all that fun stuff.

Derek WC

Banned
Feminism and masculinity. Somewhere along the line men seemed to become women, and the opposite.

Masculine and feminine titles, such as stewardess.

Men who don't like other men, and women who don't like other women.

House calls for doctors.

The requirement of learning the language to become a citizen in the U.S.A.

For the most part, God.

Decent music, and language.

Last edited:
Oh, how I miss the days of Dad taking us around the country in the 1977 Ford LTD wagon we had. Ahh, I loved that car and the drive. Thank you Gas prices for killing that.

Ours looked a lot like this, same color.

601.jpg

Too much reading to see if others have mentioned this but the Sunday drive comes to mind.

Thinking back to childhood days. I remember as a kid, my parents had a bar in the back of the house and I used to mix their drinks (starting at age 5 or 6) and they'd spend hours listening to their old record collection. I miss that so much! The record player and collection are now in my house.

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
Thinking back to childhood days. I remember as a kid, my parents had a bar in the back of the house and I used to mix their drinks (starting at age 5 or 6) and they'd spend hours listening to their old record collection. I miss that so much! The record player and collection are now in my house.

Wow! You gotta be the youngest bartender in history! I remember we always used to listen to mum and dads records on christmas eve, it became a sort of tradition we did every year. I miss that :(

Ahh, I'm guessing, if it's anything like the record collection I inherited, there is plenty of old Christmas albums, Andy Williams perhaps?

Wow! You gotta be the youngest bartender in history! I remember we always used to listen to mum and dads records on christmas eve, it became a sort of tradition we did every year. I miss that :(

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
How unfortunate! I have a ton of old Christmas albums that were my Great-Grandpas, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Andy Williams, etc, etc. All the great crooners of yesteryear.

One of my favourite thirft shops has quite a few "old crooner" records. I never buy em' though because I end up buying clothes! lol

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
"Bababababababababaabaabum" - ooh i came over all nostalgic then for pearl and dean trailer, often more exciting than the main show!

Miss Sofia,

I was trying to figure out how to demonstrate the "Bababa....", tune, and include it in my previous post, but failed miserably! Thanks for your assistance, I shall now have this ringing around my head all day! :) Bababababa.....!

Cheers,

Danny O

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Talking of going to the 'pictures', I miss those awful ads for local shops and businesses that used to pop up before the Pearl and Dean ones. They had a charming cheap and cheerful homemade look and usually a dodgy voiceover too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183