Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

I was known to have these stickers on my Caprice, Crown Victoria, Bel-Air, Delray, Impala, and Electra back in high school. With Calvin peeing on 'imports.'

With all this Ford vs. Chevy talk, it's a miracle nobody's come up with a Peeing Calvin icon.

Those dinosaurs are a fine bunch, but I like fins, chrome, and the small-block Chevy more than running boards, and spoke wheels, unfortunately. Not that, I don't appreciate both, though! I did used to run around in a 31 Model A Pickup with a 350/TH350.

Fine. Show us some. :p

I don't see a running board in the lot!

crater-lake-parking-lot.jpg

UGH! Vacuum tanks!

vacuum tanks

This is a dandy, but Pop said no 57 Chevy wagons. He doesn't like 'em.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Know what else has disappeared? Typewriter erasers (along with typewriters and their ribbons). It was a pencil-like thing with a wheel-shaped eraser, very narrow, on one end, and a brush on the other. You erased the letter you'd mis-typed, then turned it around and brushed the flakes away before re-typing with the correct letter.

Made obsolete by first eraser tape, then White-Out, and now by the Backspace key in word processing software.

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
I find myself missing the sound of a regular house phone ringing. Truthfully, they're not all vintage. But that old ring from older phones is just not something you hear much anymore. I heard one the other day and it was truly heartening for a moment.

We don't have a landline here because we all have cell phones. I'd rather have a land line, but I rarely use any phone... so I'd be wasting money.

Also, when I was a child (1970s), the phone company had a store where you had to buy phones to use, you had to get extra cords from them. I'm not sure when that stopped but it was a loooong time ago.

I bought a couple of Crosley retro phones and both have the old sounding ringtones - takes me back to my childhood whenever the phone rings now.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No. They filed for bankruptcy. They will still be open through the reorganization. I know the discount center down the street from where I work is going to be fine. :p Eat more twinkies and wonder bread.

Buy twinkies for Armageddon. They aren't great fresh, but after years in the baggie, they're still worth eating. It's all of the chemicals.

Later

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
Oh my word, don't even get me started on vintage vs modern vehicles!!! I have to make a mental note of exactly where I park my car because they ALL look the same now. One day I didn't make the mental note of where the car was, walked out of the store and up to "my" car, kept pressing the unlock button and nothing was happening. I was about to call dh when I happened to look at the make of the car and it wasn't even my car. :eeek: It wasn't even the same make as my car, but it looked like my car. Lord, how I long for the days when you could tell, just by looking, which car was yours in the parking lot rather than looking at a sea of look-a-likes.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I actually found the recipe for something that appears very similar in one of my wife's vintage cookbooks. :D

James, isn't a Twinkie basically a filled pound cake? I eat them occasionally, but I like the chocolate cupcakes better.

They had deep fried Twinkies at the Kansas State fair, and they weren't worth the money but I did learn a valuable lesson. Putting Smucker's blueberry pancake syrup on a microwaved Twinkie is pretty good.

Later

James, isn't a Twinkie basically a filled pound cake? I eat them occasionally, but I like the chocolate cupcakes better.

They had deep fried Twinkies at the Kansas State fair, and they weren't worth the money but I did learn a valuable lesson. Putting Smucker's blueberry pancake syrup on a microwaved Twinkie is pretty good.

Later

I think it was actually a filled angel food cake. Probably even better than a Twinkie. :p

Interesting with blueberry syrup I bet. :D

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I bought a couple of Crosley retro phones and both have the old sounding ringtones - takes me back to my childhood whenever the phone rings now.

Nice to know.

I don't even own a phone for a landline right now. It simply isn't conducive to saving money, and that's a priority at the moment. I have a cell phone, and that's something I originally got for emergencies only, and has become a staple of my life. Partially because I have a child and I like being able to be reached at all times should I need to go out and leave her with anyone for a bit.

However, I had to hang up on someone last night, in a moment of anger, all I wanted was to be able to slam a receiver into its cradle. lol And all I could do is tap the darn screen. NOT the same effect at all.

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
Winesap apples. They are still around but don't ship as well as new varieties so they don't make to the stores down here. I think they are the best for candied apples.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen