Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

grundie

One of the Regulars
Local tailors - In particular the ones that tended to be 30-odd years behind the then current fashion trends.

Growing up in regional towns both England and Ireland I remember plenty of the types of tailor, whereas now there are none. These were tailors where the average working man could afford to have a quality suit made if he saved up for a bit. I remember one from my home town of Carlisle that had a beautiful Edwardan facade with huge glass windows that had a selection of swatches carefully displayed between mannequins showing samples of his work.

Sometime between the late 1980s and the early 1990s they all seemed to vanish.

Nowadays the only tailors seem to be in the big cities and they are very, very expensive. If you live out in the sticks you have no choice to but to buy off the peg or make do with a less than perfect made to measure service from one of the big chain stores. It's just not right,

My Parents built the house I grew up in in the early 70s and we had a mustard gold wall oven and hob..... really went with the shiny gold wallpaper in the kitchen..........oh the horror!

Shiny gold wallpaper?:eeek::eusa_doh: Well at least it wasn't shiny gold with fuzzy leaf patterns like this::eeek:
70s-wallpaper.jpg

I've been in some 1930s and 1940s houses that have stunning original wallpaper. It isn't all shiny gold and harvest yellow daisies!

True but my experience with it is that someone has painted over it or it is coming apart at the seams. It is just too much work to keep right for long periods of time. I still have one room just as it was at least 50 years ago. It has a sort of greenish butterflies and floral wall paper with a red ceiling. I use it as a storage room. :p

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Starbucks is disappearing in our town, they've downsized across the US a bit, and here they closed a few locations that were VERY popular. Not sure why...
Yeah 5 and Dime stores have gone. We had TG&Y. I remember going in there and it was really neat. Oh sure not exciting for a youngster, but they had all sorts on things in there you just don't find anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot