Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Yes. That gas has stuff added to it to make it smell. The cigar would taste like rotten eggs---like the gas smell. :rofl:
it is also hazardous to your moustache. :p
Yes the gas stove has it's own set of issues with it, it is great for setting a necktie on fire while trying to light up a smoke!

Belladonna_dea

Familiar Face
Thinking for oneself (Common Sense)
Kindness to strangers
Great Cartoons
Being able to say something without fear of being sued
Shoulder Pads
Shorts that can't be mistaken for underwear
And though it hasn't completely left us, too often kids are being raised by daycares and televisions and we're wondering where values are going.
**Well, I think I just stepped on my soap box, hang on let me get down**
I don't see those old metal play ground contraptions that go around in a circle and you have to hold on to the bars. Merry Go Rounds were they called? I'm sure a kid fell off and then they sued the manufacturer for it being "unsafe" and everyone had to suffer for it.
I think they also stopped making those plastic horses that have springs and are attached to two metal legs. You sit on it and hold on to the peg through the horses head. I could be wrong about that, but I thought I heard something about that being too "unsafe".
On a happy note, I love going to Cracker Barrel because their "Old Country Store" has "yesteryear candies" that you can get in boxes amongst other sweets and things I thought had ceased production. There is a place in Galveston, Tx that still makes salt water taffy with the old metal machine (LaKing's).
Zenith TV's inside heavy wood stands and a remote attached to a chord from the TV
Walkman's
Slap Bracelet's
Selling Candy Door to Door for school fund raiser's.
The Fuller Brush Man (door to door)
Max Factor Makeup (only available overseas now)

Last edited:

TidiousTed

Practically Family
Toys that were made from wood and/or metal that today are all plastic.

We have a chain of stores in Norway called "The right sort of Toys", "Riktige leker" in Norwegian, and they sell a lot of toys both in wood and metal. But when I was a small kid we had a shop in Oslo called "Prison Shop", "Fengsels utsalget" in Norwegian, and they sold wooden toys made by people in prison. My mom took me there several times and they had the greates wooden cars. I still got a few of them.
But when my own kids were born I lived in a another, much smaller town and then I had to make the wooden toys for my daughters myself.

TidiousTed

Practically Family
tumblr_lt6lmwYrqh1qfvuj8o1_500.jpg

70s wallpaper is gone and I for one is hillariously happy about it. Let's hope it is a fashion that never returns

Belladonna_dea said:
I don't see those old metal play ground contraptions that go around in a circle and you have to hold on to the bars. Merry Go Rounds were they called? I'm sure a kid fell off and then they sued the manufacturer for it being "unsafe" and everyone had to suffer for it.

See 3:06 :eusa_doh:
[video=youtube;3HidG9MBQC8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HidG9MBQC8&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

Last edited:

TidiousTed

Practically Family
I'm sitting here, counting off the lawsuits as I watch that.

You don't have to, from the few words I heard, most of those idiots on the "marry go rounds" were Norwegians, and here there's no way you'll manage to raise a lawsuit for being stupid. On the other hand, I haven't seen one of those "marry go rounds" in a while now ;)

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
You don't have to, from the few words I heard, most of those idiots on the "marry go rounds" were Norwegians, and here there's no way you'll manage to raise a lawsuit for being stupid. On the other hand, I haven't seen one of those "marry go rounds" in a while now ;)

So Norwegian society still has some sense of self-responsibility. I applaud you.

That's interesting because I have no idea where some of these clips come from. All I know in some cases is that it doesn't look like the US. Much of the playground equipment seen in the video has long since disappeared from parks and schoolyards around here -- especially the merry-go-rounds. And there's a couple of the them I've never seen.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The funny thing is, the equipment in the video looks much less sturdy or safe than the stuff we had when I was a kid -- schoolyards full of swing sets and monkey bars and teeter-totters made out of cast iron pipe, not this cheap plastic or thin steel tubing stuff.

The worst playground injury I ever saw as a kid had nothing to do with swings, slides, or merry-go-rounds. Instead, some kid got slammed in the face with a tetherball. Knocked out four teeth and broke his nose. And all I can say is, *he had it coming.*

When I was a kid the park near me had a corkscrew slide that must have been ten feet tall and another park in the area had a "rocket ship" that was almost two stories tall -- both are long gone.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My parents live by what used to be a religious seasonal retreat, now it is a set of seasonal cabins. My mother's friend has a cabin there, and they still have a merry-go-round. For my last birthday and mothers day (the same weekend) we went to the retreat and my husband, father, mother, and myself used the merry-go-round for about 45 minutes. :D It was wonderful!

I never saw an accident on one. Even when we used to swing the high swings as high as they could go (so that the chains made that "rapping" noise against the top bar) and then jump off as it hit the highest point in the forward swing nobody got hurt. And we all used to do it. I'll admit it was pretty stupid but we were tough little buggers.

There aren't any high swings in my neighborhood where I live now. Or merry-go-rounds. :(

What has disappeared is the whole idea of shame. This morning, after I dropped my son off at school, I saw a guy walking out of the school in a bathrobe! A bathrobe---like he had just woken up! No pants under it as far as I could see and flip flops!:eusa_doh:
I have seen some women show up in their pajamas but this was much worse. :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo