Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have them on my bike.

crescent.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
It looks so beautiful! Why the HELL would someone want to throw out such a wonderful machine!?

You should get one of those old dynamo headlamps and clamp it on the front...

I have whitewalls on two of my cars, too. You just don't see them on new things anymore, not like you used to.

I have them on a few of mine too. :p Red lines on My mustang. :D I should have sent the link to Diamondback Classics instead. The other place is kind of wonky.
I think you can order new cars with any kind of tire you would like---it just costs more money.;)

caul

New in Town
you guys are gonna laugh but I drive a 2005 prius and I was looking at getting whitewalls for it!

caul

New in Town
yeah, they would definitely need to be the fat ones! That's my dad always had on his truck, which probably why I like them so much.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
These:

I was actually trying to think of what a certain kind of counter was called, when I came across this image.

JK7239-001-change-dispenser-gettyimages.jpg

I recall seeing these in a number of places when I was a child - I was born in 1970- and I always thought they were the niftiest contraptions. I haven't seen one in a long time.

This might be from the 60s/70s- anyone know if they're from earlier? I'd like to have one with dollars included for a trip to the grocery store. Instead of writing it down or dealing with a calculator that can get erased with one accidental press. It's the hand counter I was looking for.

cost_counter-202x300.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Those are actually descended from the ball-strike indicators that baseball umpires had been using since the twenties, but the grocery-counter idea really didn't catch on until after the war, when self-service supermarkets fully supplanted the neighborhood store where the clerk picked the items of the shelf for you. We always had one around the house when I was a kid, and if I behaved myself I'd get to carry it when we went to the store.

There were also calculator-counter gadgets that used a metal stylus to move gears in a metal frame to add up the totals -- those predated the plastic indicator gadgets, and were in use as far back as the thirties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy