Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Speaking of things that have disappeared.. in a pop thread someone mentioned all the small local brands of soda that have disappeared. They were right, and it got me thinking about all the local dairies, bakeries, and even canning factories that used to make their own brands for sale within the local area. Around here all the little farming communities used to have canning factories, one town of 2000 people had 3 or 4. My home town of 5000 had 2 dairies, Highfield's and City Dairy. There were half a dozen brands of pop that were made within 50 miles of here, not counting national or international brands with local bottlers.

Did you have local brands that have disappeared?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Speaking of things that have disappeared.. in a pop thread someone mentioned all the small local brands of soda that have disappeared. They were right, and it got me thinking about all the local dairies, bakeries, and even canning factories that used to make their own brands for sale within the local area. Around here all the little farming communities used to have canning factories, one town of 2000 people had 3 or 4. My home town of 5000 had 2 dairies, Highfield's and City Dairy. There were half a dozen brands of pop that were made within 50 miles of here, not counting national or international brands with local bottlers.

Did you have local brands that have disappeared?

When I was growing up Nissen's bread was king in this area -- they made four or five different styles of white and wheat bread along with dinner rolls, english muffins, and hamburger and hot dog rolls, and it was the only respectable bread to eat. They had a famous series of TV commercials running as late as the '80s with baseball legend Ted Williams endorsing the product, and it seemed like it'd be around forever. Until it got bought out by Interstate Bakeries, the conglomerate that owned Wonder and dozens of other brands. They stopped advertising Nissen, it got harder and harder to find, and when Interstate went bankrupt last year it disappeared for good, and there's no indication it'll ever come back. Very sad.

When I was in the second grade we took a field trip to the Nissen plant and were each given a complimentary loaf of Nissen's Old Home, which I proceeded to eat on the bus on the way home.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I was growing up Nissen's bread was king in this area -- they made four or five different styles of white and wheat bread along with dinner rolls, english muffins, and hamburger and hot dog rolls, and it was the only respectable bread to eat. They had a famous series of TV commercials running as late as the '80s with baseball legend Ted Williams endorsing the product, and it seemed like it'd be around forever. Until it got bought out by Interstate Bakeries, the conglomerate that owned Wonder and dozens of other brands. They stopped advertising Nissen, it got harder and harder to find, and when Interstate went bankrupt last year it disappeared for good, and there's no indication it'll ever come back. Very sad.

When I was in the second grade we took a field trip to the Nissen plant and were each given a complimentary loaf of Nissen's Old Home, which I proceeded to eat on the bus on the way home.

You ate a loaf of bread on a bus trip?!?!?!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You ate a loaf of bread on a bus trip?!?!?!

Well, I didn't want to use it as a cushion. That would have been ridiculous.

As for truck stops, come to Maine and go to Dysarts, where the real truckers eat.

Dysart%27s%20Store%20&%20Restaurant.jpg

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
We have one here that has been here since 1946:

I'll have to put that one on my list. It looks like one worth breaking out the FasTrak* to cross the bay. I'll offer in trade a nice, homey little place on Monterey Highway in San Jose: Southern Kitchen Coffee Shop.

l.jpg

l.jpg

http://www.yelp.com/biz/southern-kitchen-coffee-shop-san-jose

* And on the topic of things disappearing, toll takers are quickly disappearing from the Bay Area bridges. The Golden Gate Bridge has already sent theirs out to pasture. http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Golden-Gate-phasing-out-toll-takers-who-s-next-3361949.php I expect it won't be long until the others follow.

I'll have to put that one on my list. It looks like one worth breaking out the FasTrak* to cross the bay. I'll offer in trade a nice, homey little place on Monterey Highway in San Jose: Southern Kitchen Coffee Shop.

l.jpg

l.jpg

http://www.yelp.com/biz/southern-kitchen-coffee-shop-san-jose

* And on the topic of things disappearing, toll takers are quickly disappearing from the Bay Area bridges. The Golden Gate Bridge has already sent theirs out to pasture. http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Golden-Gate-phasing-out-toll-takers-who-s-next-3361949.php I expect it won't be long until the others follow.
great. Just realize that at 5th Wheel it is first come first served and the place isn't that big---as you can see from the picture. It gets full fast and stays that way during the regular lunch and breakfast hours. It isn't open for dinner anymore. If I want breakfast I go around 10am and lunch after 1pm. It closes at 3pm so I can even get in under the wires at 2pm. :p

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
There are lots of good truck stops across the country. It is sometimes hit and miss finding them. I usually look for places with rigs that have stickers that imply they have a family. If I see lot lizards I look for another place.

green papaya

One Too Many
When the small towns & cities didnt have a 24 hour BAIL BONDS office, these days I see those Bail Bonds places everywhere? I wonder why they have so many of those places now compared to years ago? is it because of higher crime? or domestic disputes? seems like every part of town has a Bail Bonds office? they are all over the place now, it wasnt like that before

I've never seen one before, but did sell my old squad car to a bail bondsman out of Cedar Rapids. Not sure how big that town is.

When the small towns & cities didnt have a 24 hour BAIL BONDS office, these days I see those Bail Bonds places everywhere? I wonder why they have so many of those places now compared to years ago? is it because of higher crime? or domestic disputes? seems like every part of town has a Bail Bonds office? they are all over the place now, it wasnt like that before

rjb1

Practically Family
When I was a kid there was a truck stop on the real highway (not Interstate) between Nashville and Clarksville, TN.
It had a big sign on a pole in the front that had a crosspiece about 8 ft long.
On the top left end of the crosspiece they had the letters "GO" and at the top right end they had the letters "OD".
On the bottom of the left end they had the letters "FO" and at the lower right end they had the letters "OD".
I think they intended you to read it as "GOOD" "FOOD", but there was so much separation between the letters that I always thought that it said "GOFO" "ODOD". We never stopped to see if they really had "GOOD FOOD" or something called "GOFO ODOD", but it always amused and perplexed me at a young age.

You live in California man. Look around. A lot has changed int he last 40 years here. :p

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
The US has the highest incarceration rate on the planet, yet only a small fraction of arrests result in imprisonment. That means A LOT of arrests and bail bonds.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The US has the highest incarceration rate on the planet, yet only a small fraction of arrests result in imprisonment. That means A LOT of arrests and bail bonds.
I'll agree with this and also say that my town has had quite an increase in bonding companies over the past 25yrs.
Maybe 5 big ones and 2 small ones back then.
Now it's at least 15 different ones...
I live in a big city though so it's to be expected, market flood happens.
As for the 24hr, back when I met some of these guys (for work) they wore this handy device called a "pager." :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points