Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage things that have REAPPEARED in your lifetime?

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I had always planned to climb a large mountain. Now, if I can walk down to the mailbox and back up again, I feel muchlike I've climbed that mountain.
I was all set to have a Matterhorn go while in the Army but permission denied and later I realized life itself is mountainous. Today, I have a knee issue that nags periodic wry amuse over youthful insouciance.

Not sure if I mentioned it before on this thread (my web connection is moving too slowly to check today), but something I've found came "back" is..... the Parker 51. Well, sort of. Yeah, Parker themselves made a LE version of it about a decade ago, but that was just a regular cartridge pen gussied up to look like a 51, not the same thing. The Wing Sung company of China, however, have since about 2018 been making their 601 model, which is very close to a 51. Not identical - parts are not interchangeable and they have adapted and improved the vacuum mechanism - but cosmetically it looks the same. Lovely pens. About £30 from a UK dealer, though I bought all mine direct for a little under half that, just needed the patience for the 'free postage' taking three weeks. They're wonderful, lovely pens to use. I went mad and bought a *lot* of different colours. I probably own about twenty of them (purchased across three years or so!), and I only ever had one that leaked - which the seller replaced immediately without quibble once I sent photos showing the problem. I keep other fountain pens for when I want a flexible nib, or a broader line, or one-handed operation, but these are my favourite go-tos. They're a bit of an indulgence, really, as I virtually never nowadays need to handwrite anything for anyone else to read - beyond a greetings card (and even then a lot of those I order online via one of the custom-card companies). However, there's a pleasure I get from handwriting for myself and using a fountain pen. The technical simplicity - also the notion that, especially with a true fountain (or, as in the case of the Waterman pens I have, an ink converter), I'm not contributing to the mountain of single-use plastics as if I were using disposable pens. That is, of course, a little compromised by having a lot of them, but still...

The original Parker 51 went out of production in 1972. Parker have sporadically released special editions and not-quite right versions, but always expensive... The Wing Sung 601 has, for me, brought back the idea of this style of hooded-nib pen with a 1940s aesthetic and a bigger than average reservoir as a really practical tool for daily use.
I have sentimental attachments to my Waterman, a gift from an old girlfriend who is since deceased, and a Mont Blanc, presented to me by my lovely missus back before we were married. But I rarely use either anymore.

Edward

Bartender
I have sentimental attachments to my Waterman, a gift from an old girlfriend who is since deceased, and a Mont Blanc, presented to me by my lovely missus back before we were married. But I rarely use either anymore.

I think most folks are handwriting less and less generally now, just the way things are moving on. When I was an undergrad I had sheafs and sheafs of handwritten notes. I finally threw virtually all of them - long outdated as they were - in the bin about five years ago when my parents were moving house and needed me to clear stuff out. hurt to do it - they were no use to anyone, but somehow still I found it hard to let them go as they represented so much effort put into producing them. Fast forward the better part of three decades, and I now regularly find in an undergraduate tutorial I'm the only one in the room with a pen, as they type everything. When we still had proper exams, some of them would struggle with the idea of simply handwriting for three hours as they'd not done it in so long. They type everything. The curse of it is they remember less..... particularly with the absolute madness of continuing with open book, online assessment post pandemic (being fought back against by academics, and resisted by senior management who see only the cost-saving of everything being off-campus and online), it's shocking the number of students who now commit absolutely zip to memory, because they don't have to in their eyes. Course, those who over-rely on that are always the ones shocked to discover they still fail...

^^^^^
I have a couple plastic storage bins full of wire-bound notebooks from my student days. They aren’t really in the way, and they are physical evidence of the time and effort I put into my education. So I have that to show for it, if not a helluva lot more.

I’ve long held that pen (or pencil) on paper is in some ways superior to “keyboarding,” as it’s called these days, especially for committing new information to memory. We’ve been over this territory before, so I’ll spare everyone a rehashing. I wouldn’t wish to write anything lengthy, and which would require rewriting and proofreading, in longhand, though

Last edited:

LostInTyme

A-List Customer
That only for a short time, until the muscles that have been cut begin to heal. I actually crossed my legs shortly after hip replacement and my hip started to dislocate. A pain I don't want to experience ever again. I got it popped back into place and never did that again until it was healed, A couple of months was all it needed, Everything is fine now and the hips and knees work much better than to old arthritis-ridden joints.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
After being in abeyance since 2001, German government seriously considers reactivating the compulsory military service and an alternative compulsory civil service for all Germans, male and female, of respective age cohorts.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now, that’s for sure!

Having completed my military service in 1991 I’ll finally get officially sorted out from reservist status next year.

Have you ever recapitulate, what a formidable easy snack this still is?:

>> hearty Knäckebrot/Crisp bread + a thin layer of sweet-picant mustard

Yumm!! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner