Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Will NOT Disappear In Your Lifetime

^^^^^
”Hoodsie Cups,” I take it, is a regional thing. But if it’s what I think it is, a single serving of ice cream in a paper cup with a wooden spoon, essentially the same thing was available everywhere I lived in my childhood, and I assume it still is.
Ours were called "Dixie Cups" which is very weird as I live on the west coast of Canada ...no where near that Mason/Dixon Line. I think I most miss the taste of the wooden spoon.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
When a girl accuses you of looking at other girls.
My sweet English-Indian rose caught me eyeing a lovely Thai lass while dining the other evening.
A consequence of her losing an argument of some duration, so I smiled like the Irish wolf hound I most certainly am,
and told her that her beauty struck lightning and its thunder echoed in my heart. Me Irish charm to the rescue.

Fifty150

One Too Many
BBQ

Since humans discovered fire, humans have cooked meat over fire. Barbeque, is nothing new. Nor unique to any culture. The USA is most likely the birthplace of the modern backyard cookout.

In The USA, we can legitimately lay claim to the modern kettle grill, Weber being the most popular. In The USA, we can also legitimately lay claim to the modern version of the bottled retail BBQ sauce. Both of these came about during the 1950's.

I have a lifetime of backyard grill and campfire experience. Which has devolved my cooking back into the house. I now roast less expensive cuts of meat in the oven, and just pour bottled sauce on the leftovers.

Most recently, it was cow butt. Just like the meat that they serve you at cheap buffets and hofbrau style eateries that were popular when I was a kid. When I was a kid, there were restaurants with a cafeteria line with roast beef, turkey, corned beef, pastrami, leg of lamb, pork loin, roast chicken, etc on display along with various side dishes. All the meat was hand carved to order. And it came with scoops of rice pilaf, mashed potato, steamed vegetables, soup, salad.......

Would the modern, sophisticated fine dining enthusiast settle for standing in line with a tray, like a meal service in prison? I want to do that. Fine dining food, displayed in a cafeteria line. I'll make a fortune. Or go broke.

And they will get my cow butt roast, with bottled sauce poured on top.

1693548787456.png

IMG_20230827_153940078.jpg
IMG_20230830_175340559.jpg

IMG_20230831_125436674.jpg

IMG_20230831_125930619.jpg

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Having alarm practice day today we just heard our lovely siren sisters singing their evergreen songs „air raid warning“ / „ABC warning“ and „all clear“ at 11:00, nationwide.

Last edited:

Fifty150

One Too Many
The Human Condition will never go away in my lifetime. The way that people treat and/or mistreat other people is as old as time.

One of my relatives recently acquired some property. While he was looking at the home, the seller matter-of-factly told him that it is understood in the neighborhood amongst the other property owners that they do not rent or sell to people of a specific race. Something about lowering the property value.

This kind of mindset is still alive and well. As much as we want to believe that things have changed, or are changing...... let's not fool ourselves. There is a reason why there are neighborhoods which do not have people of every race. Because the people who live there will not sell their homes to people of a certain race.

From a code enforcement perspective, I can't even begin to imagine how anyone could be held accountable. Sure, there are laws against discrimination. There are hate crime statutes. But how do you prove it?

If your home was on the market, 50 people toured the open house, 10 people made offers........ you picked whatever offer worked for your current situation. Maybe you took a cash offer, which was not the highest bid, because you wanted to close escrow quickly and that buyer was willing to buy the home in "as is" condition. How would you like it if 6 or 10 years later, some enforcement agency charged you with a hate crime because someone of a different race had their offer rejected?

Ours were called "Dixie Cups" which is very weird as I live on the west coast of Canada ...no where near that Mason/Dixon Line...
The name "Dixie Cups" has nothing to do with the American southeast. Originally named "Health Kup" because they were designed to be a single use item (i.e., drink from it, then throw it away), in late 1918 Hugh Moore (co-owner of the company that made the cups) decided to make their "Kup" stand out by changing the name. Next to the shop where Moore and his partner Lawrence Luellen had their shop, the Individual Drinking Cup company, was the Dixie Doll Company. Moore thought the name was more attractive than "kup", so he asked owner Albert Schindler for permission to use the "Dixie" name. Schindler allowed it, and the "Dixie Cup" was officially born.

Analog clocks.

I recall seeing digital clocks going back more than half a century, and I’m guessing they were seen in certain industrial and professional contexts well before then.

But they certainly haven’t made the analog clock obsolete. Judging from their continuing ubiquity, I’m left to conclude that people generally prefer analog clocks over digital readouts. What’s at the heart of it, I suspect, is the knowing at a glance just where over the course of the day we find ourselves at a particular moment, as it provides a map of half the day and says “you are here.”

Is it that the analog clock is itself modeled on the sundial? It would seem so.

Last edited:
Analog clocks.

I recall seeing digital clocks going back more than half a century, and I’m guessing they were seen in certain industrial and professional contexts well before then.

But they certainly haven’t made the analog clock obsolete. Judging from their continuing ubiquity, I’m left to conclude that people generally prefer analog clocks over digital readouts. What’s at the heart of it, I suspect, is the knowing at a glance just where over the course of the day we find ourselves at a particular moment, as it provides a map of half the day and says “you are here.”

Is it that the analog clock is itself modeled on the sundial? It would seem so.

I'm pretty sure age might eventually have an effect on analog clocks, i.e. a "traditional" clock with a printed face and hands, because some younger folk haven't learned how to read them. "But this digital clock has numbers!" :rolleyes:

Man, I'm kind of happy, that THIS is still existing!
Analog quartz wall clock, PURE wall clock. All you need, nothing more. Needs only one AA-battery.

I wanted to give wall clocks another chance, because there are still the ones without seconds hand. This new one is practically noiseless with a distance of 1 meter.

So far, so good. Let's see, how long it will be noiseless.

Attachments

• IMGP9638.JPG
    IMGP9638.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMGP9639.JPG
    IMGP9639.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Crystal Radio, anyone still at home or experienced im childhood??

I'm trying to imagine, how that would sound?? Sufficient or crappy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner