Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Will NOT Disappear In Your Lifetime

I wish it was easier to recycle blades as I can't find anywhere that does that, though at least they involve less wastage than cartridge or disposables. I went over to shaving my face with a DE about ten years ago - a vastly superior shave against the cartridge, and just as quick once I was experienced. Also cheaper: with blades at only about 20p each - less than 10% of the cartridges I had previously been using - I quickly saved money. Sadly still have to use a cartridge for my head, but have discovered bulk-buying Mach III cartridges on Amazon... Amusingly, Gilette ran an ad campaign here in the UK a few years ago - maybe nearly a decade ago? - actively encouraging users to dump their Mach III and 'upgrade' to the Nitro system. I assume it must have failed: the ads disappeared, but both types are still widely available.

It's interesting that, at over a century old, DE shaving is still around. Not necessarily the norm, but much bigger than just a hobbyist thing, and being adopted by younger men all the time. If ever I find cheap electrolysis available for over the top, back and sides of my head, I'd only ever need a DE. Tried it once on the top, alas, and gouged myself: need to be able to see to get the angles right!

An old friend who became a barber some 20-plus years ago, and upwards of that many years after our initial acquaintance, collects antique and "vintage" barbering paraphernalia. Among his old tonsorial gizmos is a double-edge blade sharpener. You drop the blade in, close the cover, and turn the handle, which runs the blade edges over an abrasive surface. I bet a similar item might be found online, if one were diligent in his searching.

Last edited:

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pocketknives aren't very common here, though I do carry one myself on occasion. I just wish our standard-carry laws permitted a locking blade. I know why they don't (and certainly, knife-crime is a problem in parts of the UK), but I don't relish having a folding knife accidently close on my finger.

I remember reading a story a few years back about a chap that worked in a warehouse for a living & was carrying a utility knife on him & had it confiscated for one reason or another. I also believe that one has to be 18 over there to be able to purchase a set of chefs knives, which I think is insane.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I still have a few razor blade scars on my fingers from splicing recording tape the old-fashioned way in my radio days. The single-edge "Gem" type blade was a standard component in the editing room.

We still use the exact type of blade to this day at the theatre for scraping burnt-on oil and grease off the popcorn kettle. So far, though, in twelve years we've never had anyone slash themselves with it. There are days, however, when I look at the blade in my desk drawer, and consider the option.

ChrisB

A-List Customer
Pocketknives aren't very common here, though I do carry one myself on occasion. I just wish our standard-carry laws permitted a locking blade. I know why they don't (and certainly, knife-crime is a problem in parts of the UK), but I don't relish having a folding knife accidently close on my finger.

In Philadelphia, carrying any kind of knife in a public place is prohibited, except for those in use in the course of ones trade.

I've carried the same Buck 501 for more than 20 years. I had to mail it back to myself from an airport when I forgot to leave it at home. A security person at the local major league ballpark let it slide when I told her I had it on my person. The rule is that if a knife is shorter than the width of her name tag, it's allowed in. She turned my knife diagonally and it kinda passed the test.

I use that knife several times most days. On those rare occasions it isn't with me, I find myself reaching into my pocket for it and being disappointed that I have to find another tool for the task at hand.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I've inflicted many of them on myself.

I still carry a hand scar from 45 years ago: was opening cartons of clay pigeon targets at a trap & skeet club where I had my first real job, and accidently sliced the back of my left hand below the thumb. Kind of a nice scar, actually: figured that if it were on my face below my right eye, and if I donned a black eye patch, it would have made for a great pickup technique in my bachelor days--- along with comments about dueling during my undergrad days in Heidelberg.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I carry my Girl Scout pocket knife in my pocketbook, and have for many years. I hardly ever think of it, but when I need it I'm glad it's there. I suppose that counts as a concealed weapon, but it's so dull all it could do is bruise you.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
In Philadelphia, carrying any kind of knife in a public place is prohibited, except for those in use in the course of ones trade.

The criminal statute in my state requires a mens rea of, "intent to use unlawfully." In law school days when I often had to ride a subway after midnight, I'd carry a limited edition Kershaw boot knife next to my right foot. I had a well rehearsed line about it in case a cop stopped me, that it only was to be used in a situation where a reasonable person would conclude that deadly force was necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury to myself (pretty close to the pattern jury instruction on point, verbatim).. but I never needed to employ it. Or the damn knife.. which I still have and is still sharp enough for a fairly close shave. Four decades later, I look back and marvel at both my youthful stupidity, and good luck in never having to face the consequences of said stupidity.

I can't recall ever reaching for my knife with so much as a thought of using it as a weapon against another person, not even in self-defense. I clean my fingernails with it. And slice foodstuffs (after wiping the blade against the leg of my blue jeans, sometimes). And open packages. And about a hundred other things.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I still have a few razor blade scars on my fingers from splicing recording tape the old-fashioned way in my radio days. The single-edge "Gem" type blade was a standard component in the editing room.

We still use the exact type of blade to this day at the theatre for scraping burnt-on oil and grease off the popcorn kettle. So far, though, in twelve years we've never had anyone slash themselves with it. There are days, however, when I look at the blade in my desk drawer, and consider the option.

I shave with these blades, using the ubiquitous 1912 model Gem razor (which was in production until at least 1930).

JumpnGalloper1

New in Town
Sure, we live in a world where progress is inevitable, blah blah blah, but even if that proves to be so, there are certain things that are so simply and perfectly designed that there is no reason for them to disappear anytime soon, no matter how old they are.

I expect to be rampant on the earth for another twenty-five years or so, give or take, and by the end of that span I expect the following items to be just as common and just as recognizable as they are now, and as they have been for many decades.

1. Corn Flakes. They've been around well over a century, and there's no reason to think, barring the catastrophic collapse of civilization, that they won't be around ad infinitum.

2. Fire hydrants. One of the most perfectly-designed items of the industrial age. Built for function not for form, they'll be completely recognizable in 2042, 2142, or as long as humans congregate in post-industrial cities.

3. The Pneumatic Tire. It might change in profile or material, but as long as there's a need for surface transportation, the simple inflatable tire remains the most efficient cushion between vehicle and road.

4. Zippers. Never mind space-age polymer garments with invisible fastenings, there'll always be a place and a need for the simple sewn-in zipper.

5. Aluminum Foil. A product of infinite utility with no need to evolve past its original form.

6. The mechanical pencil sharpener. Disposable mechanical pencils nonwithstanding, there will always be a place for the plain wooden pencil, and there will always need to be a simple, cheap, efficient way to sharpen it.

7. Spam. Not the email, the meat product. Cold or hot, Spam Hits The Spot. So there.

Others?

JumpnGalloper1

New in Town
1. V- Neck sweaters made of nice fabrics like cashmere and wool, etc and drape loose and comfortably, and have that rib bottom part that let's you adjust how high or low the bottom of sweater rides your waistline.
2. Pendleton USA - especially the board shirts worn by the Beach Boys and Classic car folks. Also their blankets and throws
3. Anything timeless made by hand original and by boutique craftspeople, Custom Special One-offs ... Clothing, Hats, Pottery, Custom Electronics with music, etc.
4. Practical manners and etiquette. The kind of stuff that most people just feel good after they say hello, watch out for one another, etc
5. From a guy's perspective? Beautiful Women who rock(wear) Old school Golden age outfits, look timeless, understand they run things and equally know how to help a guy think he runs things ...
6. Hourglasses, classic Coca-Cola bottles and beautiful Women, inside and out.
7. Love ballads
8. Canned Sardines in Olive oil, in cans that aren't harmful.
9. Cool peoples like on this board that somehow, someway find one another and build positive friendships, etc
10. Unsung heroes. Folks who Jump and get Large by instinct and do not wait around for compliments, nor place conditions or terms upon the daily rigors of trying to be a good person.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I love my Pendleton shirts and have about a half-dozen. I also love most Filson products. But the funny thing is, they are all almost too good to use and I really don't wear them that much. One good thing about the Pendleton wool shirts is that they are machine washable. One model, however, requires dry cleaning. But it's light enough to wear in the summer (I don't, though--it's too good to actually wear) and resist wrinkling better than anything I have.

I carry a knife or knives when I'm in the woods, but not otherwise. I never use them when I'm in the woods, though. I manage somehow. At least one that I have is too sharp. It's dangerous, like a fresh razor blade. Some are too dull. They're useless. The ones in the middle, though, are the ones that get used, mostly for opening boxes and little else. I'm a believer in scissors and I carry one in the woods, too. But it doesn't get used any more than the knives. I'm thinking about carrying a hammer, too.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Zippo lighter.

IMG_7847.GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana