Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Will NOT Disappear In Your Lifetime

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
IMG_7852.GIF

Edward

Bartender
In Philadelphia, carrying any kind of knife in a public place is prohibited, except for those in use in the course of ones trade.

UK law is slightly less strict. You can carry pretty much any knife as long as you have a legitimate reason for using it and are on your way to or from that purpose (i.e. a chef can carry a full set of pro chef knives to and from work, but leaving them in the car on a day out would technically be a breach and could potentially lead to a prosecution). It is permitted to carry a knife at all times with no specific purpose as long as it is a folding knife with a blade of no more than 70mm length which cannot be locked into place, nor automatically opened (whether by spring, gravity, or other mechanism). Limiting, but on the other hand I've never found myself in a position where a legal carry couldn't do what I needed when I needed one. The only shame is the non-locking requirement. I understand why it's there, but it just makes a knife that much safer to use.

Edward

Bartender
While musical trends come and go, I don't imagine the Fender Telecaster (first introduced as the Broadcaster in 1951), or the Fender Stratocaster (1954) will disappear anytime soon (despite that almost happening the latter in 1968). That goes double for the Fender Precision Bass guitar (1951), which had such a huge impact on rock and roll.

Edward

Bartender
I remember reading a story a few years back about a chap that worked in a warehouse for a living & was carrying a utility knife on him & had it confiscated for one reason or another. I also believe that one has to be 18 over there to be able to purchase a set of chefs knives, which I think is insane.

In the UK, if I remember correctly, you now have to be eighteen to buy pretty much any form of knife beyond cutlery. It is possible that knives will be confiscated if they are not considered necessary and don't meet the legal carry requirement. (Most warehouse guys here will be issues with Stanley knives.) Chef's knives, eh. Not really a profession where a sixteen year old new kitchen hand is likely to need their own personal knives? In any case, the law controls the purchase but not the ownership of the knives, so envisages the presence of a responsible adult role. It's all changed significantly from when I was in the Scouts and kids could buy all sorts of blades.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
While musical trends come and go, I don't imagine the Fender Telecaster (first introduced as the Broadcaster in 1951), or the Fender Stratocaster (1954) will disappear anytime soon (despite that almost happening the latter in 1968). That goes double for the Fender Precision Bass guitar (1951), which had such a huge impact on rock and roll.

(SIGH!)

;)

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I think rock & roll music, depending on how you define it, can be produced on almost any instrument. There is even a German group that uses an alphorn. The problem is in defining what rock & roll is, which can be said of several other musical genres, like country & western, swing, western swing, folk and so on. I would have to say that the more successful musicians and singers define their own music.

I think rock & roll music, depending on how you define it, can be produced on almost any instrument. There is even a German group that uses an alphorn. The problem is in defining what rock & roll is, which can be said of several other musical genres, like country & western, swing, western swing, folk and so on. I would have to say that the more successful musicians and singers define their own music.

Yep. As we say in Germany, the term Rock'n'Roll is not "clearly defined".

GHT

I'll Lock Up
In Philadelphia, carrying any kind of knife in a public place is prohibited, except for those in use in the course of ones trade.
Have you ever seen one of those minute screwdrivers, with which you tighten the little screw, in the arm of your spectacles? My wife had one that she carried in her spec case. It was confiscated at the airport, she was given a receipt which read that it was deemed offensive and wouldn't be returned to her.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
One of the early outdoor writers, probably Kephart or maybe Beard, said a woman could go camping with nothing but bobby pins. But I think the writer may have been exaggerating.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Last time I flew I brought back a small switch-blade knife. There was no security
check-point at the airport.
I recall my folks walking to the airplane
to see me off when I left for military service. 9-11 changed all that.

Last time I flew I brought back a small switch-blade knife. There was no security check-point at the airport. I recall my folks walking to the airplane
to see me off when I left for military service. 9-11 changed all that.
And the sad thing is that it's become mostly the illusion of security. Sure, they'll confiscate certain items, but they're taking those items from people who have no intentions of using them as weapons and most of them wouldn't even know how to in the first place. And, yes, occasionally they'll stop some idiot from causing trouble, but they make sure it gets widely publicized so that everyone will know how well they're doing their jobs to keep us safe. :rolleyes: It's "smoke and mirrors" to disguise the fact that it's a numbers game--the TSA simply doesn't have the resources to thoroughly check each and every passenger.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
:rolleyes: It's "smoke and mirrors" to disguise the fact that it's a numbers game--the TSA simply doesn't have the resources to thoroughly check each and every passenger.

I have a "media pass".
All I have to do is wave my pass which I wear around my neck & security will let me pass the line of folks waiting to be strip-searched. Besides camera & tripod
I carry a "gear" bag around my waist.

At a Presidential ceremony, my brother
& family were waiting by the wing of Air Force One to meet President Bush.
I, along with the rest of the media were
waiting by the hanger roped off by security.
My brother mentioned to security if
I could get closer with my camera.

Secret Service (you can spot them, they
look like "Men in Black"... sunglasses &
a weapon under their coats and they whisper to their wrists or lapel when talking with each other)

They asked my name and proceeded to
take me to where my brother & family were chatting with President Bush.

Like Lizzie, I have a pocket knife
but mine is a Boy's Scout knife.
Besides the Swiss knives, I collect
Boy's & Girl's Scout pocket knives.

I didn't realize until later that I was
carrying it or that the Secret Service
never checked me at all.
I was just excited to have a close up
one on one interview with the President.

So much for security! :(

Last edited:
[QUOTE="GHT, post: 2266046, member: 21441clippers ou ever seen one of those minute screwdrivers, with which you tighten the little screw, in the arm of your spectacles? My wife had one that she carried in her spec case. It was confiscated at the airport, she was given a receipt which read that it was deemed offensive and wouldn't be returned to her.[/QUOTE]
My 90 year old mother had her small nail clippers taken away at the airport.

Edward

Bartender

It certainly can be. Nonetheless, the Fenders are going nowhere. It's one of the supreme ironies of rock and roll rebellion that you'll struggle to find a body of people more conservative about their 'tools' than electric guitar players. Plenty refuse even to acknowledge the possibility of improvement much beyond 1959.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21