Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Will NOT Disappear In Your Lifetime

Harp

I'll Lock Up
You know you shouldn't look, but I couldn't help noticing that the ladies skin, just under her bust, was much paler than the rest of her well tanned appearance. Being a psoriasis sufferer myself, I wondered if she suffered from eczema, the two are closely related. Sunshine is a great therapy for psoriasis and eczema.

I mentioned that when the lady asked where my hat was, adding that I had noticed she had an area of pale skin, and did she find the sunshine a help. This caused much laughter. She informed me that topless sun bathing with old boobies is not a good idea. My mouthful of red wine went everywhere.

There's a postscript to this tale, I found a suitable greeting card and sent it to her. I know that she kept it.
View attachment 417335

Her face, like heaven, entice thee to view
Her countless glory, which desert must gain;
...because thin eye
Presumes to reach...
Yon princes, like thyself,
Drawn by report, adventurous by desire,
Tell thee with speechless tongues and semblance pale,
That without covering, save yon fields of stars....

Pericles I; I ;)

Last edited:

Fifty150

One Too Many
Using the word, dear, can come across as patronising, but as the lady started saying, "my dear, you look impeccable." dear has become our greeting.

In my experience the difference between "patronizing" and "endearment" is simply a matter of tone-of-voice. ;)

It's all perception.

At a local grocery store, there's a clerk who likes to link her arm around my arm. She also calls me "hun".

I don't know what that means. Could it be, that she thinks that with my beard, I remind her of Attila The Hun?

My ex said that the grocery clerk is rubbing her boobs on my arm, and that my hand is right next to her crotch.

I am monumentally naive when it comes to interactions with females.

Vintage Things That Will NOT Disappear In Your Lifetime...or ever go bad:​

IMG_9756.JPG

Mexican Chicken Soup/Caldo de Pollo?

Seems to be a forever classic in North America, right?
I mean, it sounds delicious and I should give it a try myself.

Mexican Chicken Soup/Caldo de Pollo?

Seems to be a forever classic in North America, right?
I mean, it sounds delicious and I should give it a try myself.

Here in southern California there are so many Mexican Food restaurants, each with their own recipes, that you might have to try at least 10 different restaurants before you find the recipe that appeals most to you. That said, I can't recall ever having chicken soup that I didn't like unless it came out of a can.

LostInTyme

A-List Customer
71bK3s7-KoL._AC_CR0,0,0,0_SX960_SY720_.jpeg

Today I found a good looking pair of men's oxford shoes for sale at Amazon, made of Premium Artificial Leather. It reminded me of a jacket my parents bought me in the late fifties. It was made of Genuine Imitation Naugahyde. I wanted a black leather jacket, and I got what they could afford, and it was beige. And, when it got really cold outside, it would freeze as stiff as an oak board.

Anyway, this might be a bit of a stretch for this thread, but we have all probably experienced buying and using things in our lifetimes that were made of chemically produced products that imitate real, natural things of much better quality.

The shoes pictured look really nice, and are less than half the cost of real leather shoes, and you can't tell they are fake just from looking at them. I would only consider buying them because they are made of Premium Artificial Leather, not regular artificial leather, because everyone knows that premium denotes a much better quality artificial product than regular artificial products.

EngProf

Practically Family
"I always wondered when do you know that sour cream has gone bad? When do you know that Cottage Cheese has turned into sour cream or maybe Bleu Cheese?"
"Anyway, this might be a bit of a stretch for this thread, but we have all probably experienced buying and using things in our lifetimes that were made of chemically produced products that imitate real, natural things of much better quality."

Putting these two ideas together, it reminds me of the pseudo-milkshakes that Wendy's burger-place used to sell. They called them "Frostees".
I bought one once and noticed that it had a slight petroleum smell, so I didn't eat it. I just set it on the counter in the kitchen and first noticed that it didn't really melt, just sagged a bit. I let it sit for several days and it never rotted or did anything natural/organic.
What it did do was turn into something that looked a lot like the foam rubber in the dashboards of old cars after they had been in the sun for a decade or two.
I am not a health nut, but it's hard to believe that those things were allowed for human consumption.

"I always wondered when do you know that sour cream has gone bad? When do you know that Cottage Cheese has turned into sour cream or maybe Bleu Cheese?"
"Anyway, this might be a bit of a stretch for this thread, but we have all probably experienced buying and using things in our lifetimes that were made of chemically produced products that imitate real, natural things of much better quality."

Putting these two ideas together, it reminds me of the pseudo-milkshakes that Wendy's burger-place used to sell. They called them "Frostees".
I bought one once and noticed that it had a slight petroleum smell, so I didn't eat it. I just set it on the counter in the kitchen and first noticed that it didn't really melt, just sagged a bit. I let it sit for several days and it never rotted or did anything natural/organic.
What it did do was turn into something that looked a lot like the foam rubber in the dashboards of old cars after they had been in the sun for a decade or two.
I am not a health nut, but it's hard to believe that those things were allowed for human consumption.
I was a Big Brother for many years. I would take my Little Brother with me to Friday night ball hockey with the guys. Part of our ritual was to stop at the 7/11 on the way home and he would buy the nachos with the orange melted faux cheese product poured on top. I used to advise him that...."You know that is not real food but some hydrocarbon based facsimile". He would give me a blank stare and respond with...."I don't care!"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When they inaugurated a hot lunch program at my elementary school, when I was in the second grade, most of the menu seemed to made up of USDA surplus food products - I recognized the round not-Spam canned meat from home - but there was one anomaly I never forgot and have never found out exactly what it was. On days when "Ice Cream" was advertised on the menu, we were served a small waxed cup containing a smooth, chocolate-flavored product that had the taste and the relative mouth-feel of ice cream except for one thing: it was not cold. It was not pudding, it was not mousse, and it was positively not ice cream.

I can only assume it was some kind of synthetic non-dairy whipped simulation, possibly created for the military or the space program only to be foisted off on hapless 1960s gradeschoolers when it didn't pan out. But I would be very interested to know what was actually in it and how much it cost vs. just spending the seven cents apiece to give us a Hoodsie cup.

^^^^^
”Hoodsie Cups,” I take it, is a regional thing. But if it’s what I think it is, a single serving of ice cream in a paper cup with a wooden spoon, essentially the same thing was available everywhere I lived in my childhood, and I assume it still is.

LostInTyme

A-List Customer
Well Lizzie, you survived, so consider that a plus. You really don't want to know what the government was providing to you as ice cream. I and many others who served in the military in the mid sixties were given surplus rations left over from WW2 and the Korean conflict. We called it mystery meat and jungle juice. There were things that resembled potatoes and other vegetables, but it had been a very long time since that had given up their original color and flavor. We ate what we could stomach and buried the rest. Perhaps twenty or so years prior, there may have been real palatable food contained in those cans and waxpaper wrappers, but mostly what we found was brown yuck.

When they inaugurated a hot lunch program at my elementary school, when I was in the second grade, most of the menu seemed to made up of USDA surplus food products - I recognized the round not-Spam canned meat from home - but there was one anomaly I never forgot and have never found out exactly what it was. On days when "Ice Cream" was advertised on the menu, we were served a small waxed cup containing a smooth, chocolate-flavored product that had the taste and the relative mouth-feel of ice cream except for one thing: it was not cold. It was not pudding, it was not mousse, and it was positively not ice cream.

I can only assume it was some kind of synthetic non-dairy whipped simulation, possibly created for the military or the space program only to be foisted off on hapless 1960s gradeschoolers when it didn't pan out. But I would be very interested to know what was actually in it and how much it cost vs. just spending the seven cents apiece to give us a Hoodsie cup.

Let me guess, it came from the canned shaving foam industry... ;)

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That classic pre-business-breakfast Punch and Judy show performed in any hotel every morning.
Always the same characters like the checker who knows, can and does everything, the „hidden boss“ of the company. The young student, listening and confirming the checker, while obviously thinking „what a stupid boaster“ that is. The serious elder policeman, trying to keep the kindergarten disciplined. Finally the big boss, pi..ing all over the place, most graciously standing his ensemble of jesters…

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk